The biopharma space bled along with the rest of the market and COVID-19 levered biotechs weren't spared either.
Biogen Inc BIIB was in the news for all wrong reasons, as an employee conference held by the company in Boston from Feb. 24 to 27 was blamed for 77 of the 95 COVID-19 cases reported by Massachusetts as of March 11. The state subsequently had to declare a state of emergency.
Several medical meetings scheduled for March and April now stand cancelled. The American Association for Cancer Research said Tuesday the association's 2020 annual meeting scheduled for April 24-29, in San Diego, California is cancelled.
Among company-specific developments, Bristol-Myers Squibb Co BMY received FDA nod for the Opdivo-Yervoy combo for liver cancer, while AstraZeneca's AZN combo drug for ovarian cancer stumbled in a mid-stage trial.
Here are some key biotech catalysts that will likely play out in the unfolding week.
11th Annual Congress on Pulmonology & Respiratory Medicine: March 18-19 in Amsterdam, Netherlands
The 2020 annual meetings of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology and the American Academy of Dermatology Association scheduled for the week were cancelled due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The FDA is due to announce its verdict on epilepsy drug candidate EM-105, developed by Acuta Pharma as an adjunctive therapy for partial seizures, primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures, and generalized seizures of Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in patients two years of age and older. Eton Pharmaceuticals Inc ETON has acquired U.S. commercial rights to the drug.
The additional validation study sought by the FDA in mid-February has cast a cloud on the approval coming through by the March 17 PDUFA date.
Blueprint Medicines Corp BPMC is due to release Tuesday updated data from Part 1 of the Phase 2 PIONEER trial of avapritinib in patients with indolent systemic mastocytosis.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc. SPPI is due to present Wednesday at the Pulmonology & Respiratory Medicine congress already-released Phase 2 data for Poziotinib in non-small cell lung cancer with exon 20 insertion mutation in EGFR or HER2.
- Stemline Therapeutics Inc STML (before the market open)
- AcelRx Pharmaceuticals Inc ACRX (before the market open)
- Sesen Bio Inc SESN (before the market open)
- Aerpio Pharmaceuticals Inc ARPO (before the market open)
- Athersys, Inc. ATHX (after the close)
- Pulse Biosciences Inc PLSE (after the close)
- Kindred Biosciences Inc KIN (after the close)
- CorMedix Inc. CRMD (after the close)
- CV Sciences Inc CVSI (after the close)
- Oncternal Therapeutics Inc ONCT (after the close)
- Transenterix Inc TRXC (after the close)
- Chiasma Inc CHMA (after the close)
- Catalyst Pharmaceuticals Inc CPRX (before the market open)
- DarioHealth Corp DRIO (before the market open)
- STRATA Skin Sciences Inc SSKN (before the market open)
- Baxter International Inc BAX (before the market open)
- Cue Biopharma Inc CUE (after the close)
- Brickell Biotech Inc BBI (after the close)
- Cumberland Pharmaceuticals, Inc. CPIX (after the close)
- Capricor Therapeutics Inc CAPR (after the close)
- Turning Point Therapeutics Inc TPTX (after the close)
- Osmotica Pharmaceuticals PLC OSMT (after the close)
- Vascular Biogenics Ltd VBLT (before the market open)
- Zai Lab Ltd ZLAB (before the market open)
- Hookipa Pharma Inc HOOK (before the market open)
- BIOLASE Inc BIOL (before the market open)
- Auris Medical Holding Ltd EARS (after the close)
- Curis, Inc. CRIS (after the close)
- Viveve Medical Inc VIVE (after the close)
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Ad Disclosure: The rate information is obtained by Bankrate from the listed institutions. Bankrate cannot guaranty the accuracy or availability of any rates shown above. Institutions may have different rates on their own websites than those posted on Bankrate.com. The listings that appear on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where, and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products.
All rates are subject to change without notice and may vary depending on location. These quotes are from banks, thrifts, and credit unions, some of whom have paid for a link to their own Web site where you can find additional information. Those with a paid link are our Advertisers. Those without a paid link are listings we obtain to improve the consumer shopping experience and are not Advertisers. To receive the Bankrate.com rate from an Advertiser, please identify yourself as a Bankrate customer. Bank and thrift deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Credit union deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.
Consumer Satisfaction: Bankrate attempts to verify the accuracy and availability of its Advertisers' terms through its quality assurance process and requires Advertisers to agree to our Terms and Conditions and to adhere to our Quality Control Program. If you believe that you have received an inaccurate quote or are otherwise not satisfied with the services provided to you by the institution you choose, please click here.
Rate collection and criteria: Click here for more information on rate collection and criteria.