- Tencent Holding Ltd TCEHY acknowledged setting up a unit focused on exploring the space to tap multiple opportunities in extended reality (XR) technologies in the next 4-5 years, Reuters reports.
- Gaming chief Steven Ma disclosed that Tencent had set up an XR business line to combine hardware and software, betting on most manufacturers exploring the space and taking Apple Inc's approach AAPL.
- "We hope to seize the opportunity in the next 4-5 years to actively experiment in software, content, systems, SDK tools, hardware, and other links to create virtual reality experiences which can be industry benchmarks," he said.
- The gaming giant missed its Q1 revenue consensus due to China's domestic regulatory crackdown.
- Multiple technological breakthroughs with VR devices, including better display resolution and lighter headsets, piqued Tencent's interest in the metaverse.
- Tencent explored international opportunities like Alibaba Group Holding Limited BABA to beat the domestic slowdown and regulatory heat.
- Tencent also collaborated with Bayerische Motoren Werke AG BMWYY, SAIC, and NIO Inc NIO To tap China's burgeoning EV market.
- Due to regulatory uncertainties, investors have started paring stakes in Chinese tech companies like Alibaba and Tencent.
- Meta Platforms Inc META, Microsoft Corp MSFT, Alibaba, and other metaverse aspirers formed a group to foster the development of industry standards.
- Apple recently confirmed the iPhone maker's foray into the domain.
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Ad Disclosure: The rate information is obtained by Bankrate from the listed institutions. Bankrate cannot guaranty the accuracy or availability of any rates shown above. Institutions may have different rates on their own websites than those posted on Bankrate.com. The listings that appear on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where, and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products.
All rates are subject to change without notice and may vary depending on location. These quotes are from banks, thrifts, and credit unions, some of whom have paid for a link to their own Web site where you can find additional information. Those with a paid link are our Advertisers. Those without a paid link are listings we obtain to improve the consumer shopping experience and are not Advertisers. To receive the Bankrate.com rate from an Advertiser, please identify yourself as a Bankrate customer. Bank and thrift deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Credit union deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.
Consumer Satisfaction: Bankrate attempts to verify the accuracy and availability of its Advertisers' terms through its quality assurance process and requires Advertisers to agree to our Terms and Conditions and to adhere to our Quality Control Program. If you believe that you have received an inaccurate quote or are otherwise not satisfied with the services provided to you by the institution you choose, please click here.
Rate collection and criteria: Click here for more information on rate collection and criteria.