- Putting all the speculations at bay, Merck & Co Inc MRK has agreed to acquire Acceleron Pharma Inc XLRN for $180 per share in cash for an approximate total equity value of $11.5 billion.
- Related Link: Merck Reportedly Lead Bidder In $11B Acceleron Buyout: WSJ.
- Acceleron's lead therapeutic candidate, sotatercept, has a novel mechanism of action with the potential to improve short-term and/or long-term clinical outcomes in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
- Sotatercept is in Phase 3 trials as an add-on to the current standard of care for treating PAH.
- In addition to sotatercept, Acceleron's portfolio includes Reblozyl (luspatercept-aamt), an erythroid maturation recombinant fusion protein approved for anemia in certain rare blood disorders.
- Reblozyl is being developed and commercialized through global collaboration with Bristol Myers Squibb & Co BMY.
- Related: Bristol-Myers, Acceleron's Reblozyl Ok'd In Canada For MDS-Associated Anemia.
- The transaction is expected to close in Q4 of 2021.
- Price Action: XLRN stock is up 0.56% at $176.35, MRK shares are up 0.87% at $75.74 during the premarket session on the last check Thursday.
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.