Skip to main content

Market Overview

Goldman Sachs: 3 Options Trades To Make Ahead Of The Brexit Vote

Share:
Goldman Sachs: 3 Options Trades To Make Ahead Of The Brexit Vote

Now that the Federal Reserve has announced there will be no June rate hike, investors are turning their attention squarely on next week’s Brexit vote in the United Kingdom. If you’re wondering how to trade the big vote, Goldman Sachs analyst Katherine Fogertey recently came up with three fresh trade ideas.

“With the Brexit vote a week away, the options market is not pricing in strong incremental downside to the stocks with the largest exposure to the region,” Fogertey noted.

Related Link: What's Going On With The VIX?

One-month implied volatility for the average S&P 500 stock is up 16 percent, but the market is not differentiating between stocks with high U.K. exposure and the rest of the market. One way to look at this trading action is that the market is anticipating volatility, but not necessarily Brexit-related volatility.

Fogertey identified three opportunistic options trades in the market today:

  • 1. Buy Penske Automotive Group, Inc. (NYSE: PAG) Puts
    With 34 percent of the company’s sales in the U.K. and earnings due out in late July, traders can hedge against both risks at once.
  • 2. Buy PPL Corp (NYSE: PPL) Straddles
    Again, more than 30 percent of sales come from the U.K. and the company has earnings due out in late July.
  • 3. Buy SAGE Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: SAGE) Calls

    Goldman estimates that the company’s sPPD update due out in early July has a 60 percent chance of sending shares up 30–40 percent.

Disclosure: The author holds no position in the stocks mentioned.

Latest Ratings for PAG

DateFirmActionFromTo
Feb 2021Morgan StanleyMaintainsOverweight
Dec 2020Morgan StanleyMaintainsOverweight
Nov 2020B of A SecuritiesMaintainsBuy

View More Analyst Ratings for PAG
View the Latest Analyst Ratings

 

Related Articles (PAG + PPL)

View Comments and Join the Discussion!

Posted-In: Analyst Color Long Ideas News Short Ideas Eurozone Options Politics Events Best of Benzinga

Don't Miss Any Updates!
News Directly in Your Inbox
Subscribe to:
Benzinga Premarket Activity
Get pre-market outlook, mid-day update and after-market roundup emails in your inbox.
Market in 5 Minutes
Everything you need to know about the market - quick & easy.
Fintech Focus
A daily collection of all things fintech, interesting developments and market updates.
SPAC
Everything you need to know about the latest SPAC news.
Thank You

Thank you for subscribing! If you have any questions feel free to call us at 1-877-440-ZING or email us at vipaccounts@benzinga.com