Belmont Stakes Won By Mo Donegal: Here's The Link To One Of The Largest Publicly Traded Consumer Goods Companies

Zinger Key Points
  • Mo Donegal owner Mike Repole is the founder of Galceau and BodyArmor.
  • Coca-Cola purchased Glaceau for $4.1 billion in 2007, and later bought BodyArmor.

Mo Donegal won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, marking the third different horse to win a Triple Crown race in 2022. Here’s a look at who owns Mo Donegal and how it relates to the stock market.

What Happened: Favorite Mo Donegal won the Belmont Stakes by three lengths, beating second place finisher Nest. Rich Strike, which won the Kentucky Derby as a huge longshot, finished sixth in the race.

Mo Donegal is owned by Donegal Racing and Repole Stables. Nest is co-owned by Repole Stables.

Mo Donegal was sired by Uncle Mo, a two-year-old champion back in 2010 and the sire of 2016 Kentucky Derby winner Nyquist.

The win by Mo Donegal marked the first Belmont Stakes win for Repole Stables founder Mike Repole, a native New Yorker, in seven attempts.

“This is a dream I’ve had for 40 years,” Repole said of the win. “This is New York’s biggest race.”

Related Link: Belmont Stakes Preview: Can Rich Strike Take A Bite Out Of The Big Apple? 

Stock Market Connection: Repole is one of several horse owners who got his start through money earned from investments. Repole is the founder of Galceau (parent company of Smartwater and Vitaminwater) and BodyArmor, two drink companies that are now owned by The Coca-Cola Company KO.

Coca-Cola purchased Glaceau for $4.1 billion in 2007. The beverage giant acquired a 15% stake in BodyArmor before acquiring the remaining 85% in 2021 for an additional $5.6 billion.

The sale of his beverage brands helped Repole create a horse stable, fulfilling a love of sports and horse racing he had at a young age.

Along with ties to Coca-Cola, Repole was also the former Chairman of Pirate’s Booty, a snack food company that was bought by B&G Foods Inc BGS and later acquired by The Hershey Co HSY.

 

Photo: Courtesy of West Point - The U.S. Military Academy on Flickr

Posted In: Belmont StakesBodyArmorGlaceauhorse racingKentucky DerbyMike RepoleSmartwaterVitaminWaterNewsSmall CapSportsGeneral

Ad Disclosure: The rate information is obtained by Bankrate from the listed institutions. Bankrate cannot guaranty the accuracy or availability of any rates shown above. Institutions may have different rates on their own websites than those posted on Bankrate.com. The listings that appear on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where, and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products.

All rates are subject to change without notice and may vary depending on location. These quotes are from banks, thrifts, and credit unions, some of whom have paid for a link to their own Web site where you can find additional information. Those with a paid link are our Advertisers. Those without a paid link are listings we obtain to improve the consumer shopping experience and are not Advertisers. To receive the Bankrate.com rate from an Advertiser, please identify yourself as a Bankrate customer. Bank and thrift deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Credit union deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.

Consumer Satisfaction: Bankrate attempts to verify the accuracy and availability of its Advertisers' terms through its quality assurance process and requires Advertisers to agree to our Terms and Conditions and to adhere to our Quality Control Program. If you believe that you have received an inaccurate quote or are otherwise not satisfied with the services provided to you by the institution you choose, please click here.

Rate collection and criteria: Click here for more information on rate collection and criteria.