Market Overview

Goldman Believes Starbucks Comps Could Accelerate In Q4, Adds To Conviction List

Share:
Goldman Believes Starbucks Comps Could Accelerate In Q4, Adds To Conviction List
Related SBUX
The Market In 5 Minutes: Travel Ban, Mueller Looking At Deutsche Bank, Snap And McDonald's Upgrades
Benzinga's Weekly Bulls & Bears: GM, Nike, Starbucks, Tesla And More
TFI Tab Food Investments Seeks $400 Million U.S. IPO (Seeking Alpha)

Prospects of a reacceleration in comps and a favorable valuation point towards potential multiple expansion in Starbucks Corporation (NASDAQ: SBUX) shares, Goldman Sachs’ Karen Holthouse said in a report. She reiterated a Buy rating on the company and added the stock to the Americas Conviction list. The price target has been maintained at $69.

Comps In 4Q

Starbucks’ comps reflect “a fairly clean algorithm,” with food being at 1-2 percent, beverage at 2 percent and “other” [combination of various digital, marketing, and loyalty initiatives] at 2-4 percent. In the latest quarter, loyalty transition caused a disruption, falling to 0 percent, while the combination of food and beverage was near record highs, analyst Karen Holthouse mentioned.

Related Link: Restaurant ETF Can Endure Earnings Rough Patch

“With the loyalty noise in the past, SBUX is now in a position to tap into a pipeline that includes driving MOAP adoption, refined suggestive selling in the app, and better 1-1 marketing capabilities,” Holthouse wrote. This would boost the contribution from “other” towards historical levels, allowing Starbucks to “comfortably” return to a comp algorithm of more than 5 percent.

Potential Upside

Starbucks’ shares are currently trading at the low-end of their long-term range. “We would expect a 7% Americas comp lap in F1Q17 to become a bear thesis for some investors; however, we see valuation providing support,” the analyst commented.

Did you like this article? Could it have been improved? Please email feedback@benzinga.com with the story link to let us know!

Latest Ratings for SBUX

DateFirmActionFromTo
Nov 2017Morgan StanleyMaintainsOverweight
Nov 2017UBSMaintainsBuy
Nov 2017BMO CapitalMaintainsMarket Perform

View More Analyst Ratings for SBUX
View the Latest Analyst Ratings

Posted-In: Goldman SachsAnalyst Color Long Ideas Reiteration Restaurants Analyst Ratings Trading Ideas General Best of Benzinga

 

Related Articles (SBUX)

View Comments and Join the Discussion!