The Market In 5 Minutes: Netflix Dominates, Goldman Sachs Keeps Banks Flowing
Below is a tool used by the Benzinga News Desk each trading day -- it's a look at everything happening in the market, in five minutes. Apply for daily AM access by clicking here or email email@example.com.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 73 points to 18,086.00, while the Standard & Poor’s 500 index futures gained 10.50 points to 2,133.50. Futures for the Nasdaq 100 index surged 27.50 points to 4,830.75.
Oil prices traded higher as Brent crude futures gained 0.80 percent to trade at $51.93 per barrel, while US WTI crude futures also rose 0.81 percent to trade at $50.78 a barrel.
USA CPI (MoM) for Sep 0.30% vs 0.30% consensus estimate. CPI (YoY) for Sep 1.50% vs 1.50% consensus estimate.
Redbook Reports US Retail Sales During First Two Weeks of Oct. Unch MoM, Up 0.7% YoY
- The housing market index for October will be released at 10:00 a.m. ET.
- The Treasury is set to auction 4-week bills at 11:30 a.m. ET.
- The Treasury International Capital data for August will be released at 4:00 p.m. ET.
BZ News Desk Focus
- Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS) Reports Q3 EPS $4.88 vs $3.79 Est., Sales $8.17B vs $7.4B Est.
- Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) Reports Q3 EPS $0.12 vs. Est. $0.06, Rev. $2.29B vs. Est. $2.28B
- Domino's Pizza (NYSE: DPZ) Reports Q3 EPS $0.96 vs $0.89 Est., Sales $566.7M vs $542M Est.
- IBM (NASDAQ: IBM) Reports Q3 EPS $3.29 vs. Est. $3.24, Rev. $19.2B vs. Est. $19B
- United Air (NYSE: UAL) Reports Q3 EPS $3.11 vs $2.88 Est., Sales $9.913B vs $9.89B Est.
- BlackRock (NYSE: BLK) Q3 EPS $5.14 vs $4.98 Est., Revenue $2.84B vs $2.88B Est.
- Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) Q3 EPS $1.68 vs $1.65 Est., Revenue $17.8B vs $17.7B Est.
- Harley Davidson (NYSE: HOG) Q3 EPS $0.64 vs $0.64 Est., Revenue $1.09B vs $1.09B Est.
Several Wall Street firms initiated coverage on Apptio (NASDAQ: APTI), although the ratings varied from neutral to Outperform. The price targets ranged form $21 to $29 per share.
Sell-Side's Most Noteworthy Calls
- Raymond James downgraded Chipotle (NYSE: CMG) to Underperform.
- Goldman Sachs downgraded Oasis Petroleum (NYSE: OAS) to Sell.
- Barclays upgraded Intel (NASDAQ: INTC) to Overweight.
- Bank of America upgraded Packaging Corp. Of America (NYSE: PKG) to Buy.
- Wells Fargo started Costco (NASDAQ: COST) at Market Perform.
- Leerink initiated AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV) at Market Perform.
- Credit Suisse started Sarepta (NASDAQ: SRPT) at Outperform.
Cerberus in talks to acquire Staples (NASDAQ: SPLS) stores in Europe, according to a report from The Telegraph.
Shares of 21Vianet (NASDAQ: VNET) spiked to a high of $7.24 Monday, following unconfirmed chatter that the company could be taken private. A consortium, consisting of Chen Sheng, Kingsoft and Tsinghua Unigroup withdrew its "going private" proposal for the largest carrier-neutral Internet and data center service provider in China back in July.
In The News
U.S. labor unions are plowing money into the 2016 elections at an unprecedented rate in a frenzied effort to help elect Hillary Clinton and give Democrats a majority in the Senate. According to the most recent campaign-finance filings, unions spent nearly $110 million on the elections from January 2015 through the end of August, a 38 percent jump from $78 million at the same point in the 2012 election, and nearly double their 2008 total during the same period.
Melania Trump defended Donald Trump against allegations that he sexually assaulted women, saying in a rare interview Monday night that her husband was "egged on" to make lewd comments about women that were caught on tape in 2005.
"While many of the best investors are able to clearly communicate their philosophy," says the Irrelevant Investor, "many of the investors that have earned their legendary status might not be able to get to the root of what drove their success."
NFLX CMG INTC MACK V IBM JNJ GS OAS UNH VRX BLK
Do you think you can #MakeAHorrorFilmLessScary? Check out what others did!
- CEO Doug Oberhelman announced on Monday he will be retiring in 2017.
- Greenlight Capital's David Einhorn announced at the 2016 Sohn Investment Conference that he is short this stock.
- Sympathy plays include Joy Global and Cummins.
© 2017 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.