The world of Wall Street can be an intense and serious place. Fortunes are gained and lost on every tick of the market. Sometimes the public perception of the successful stock trader is closer to a ruthless, cold-hearted shark than a charming, soft-spoken, laid-back gentleman such as Warren Buffett.
By listening to Buffett's often witty and humble interviews, it might be hard to guess that he's the third-wealthiest man in the world. He likes to share his humor in his annual letters to Berkshire Hathaway Inc (NYSE: BRK-A)(NYSE: BRK-B) shareholders.
Back in 2014, Berkshire added nearly 10,000 employees. "The increase, I am proud to say, included no gain at headquarters (where 25 people work). No sense going crazy," Buffett joked at the time.
Related Link: Warren Buffett Calls Mr. Market A 'Drunken Psycho'
Here's a list of 10 Warren Buffett quotes that show off both the billionaire's insight and his lighter side.
- "I buy expensive suits. They just look cheap on me."
- "Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing."
- "Wall Street is the only place that people ride to work in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway."
- "We believe that according the name 'investors' to institutions that trade actively is like calling someone who repeatedly engages in one-night stands a 'romantic.'"
- "A public-opinion poll is no substitute for thought."
- "Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."
- "Of the billionaires I have known, money just brings out the basic traits in them. If they were jerks before they had money, they are simply jerks with a billion dollars."
- "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
- "If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would be librarians."
- "I sent one email in my life. I sent it to Jeff Raikes at Microsoft, and it ended up in court in Minneapolis, so I am one for one."
Photo: Warren Buffett illustration by Joel Stralnic.
This post was originally published on March 3, 2015.
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Ad Disclosure: The rate information is obtained by Bankrate from the listed institutions. Bankrate cannot guaranty the accuracy or availability of any rates shown above. Institutions may have different rates on their own websites than those posted on Bankrate.com. The listings that appear on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where, and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products.
All rates are subject to change without notice and may vary depending on location. These quotes are from banks, thrifts, and credit unions, some of whom have paid for a link to their own Web site where you can find additional information. Those with a paid link are our Advertisers. Those without a paid link are listings we obtain to improve the consumer shopping experience and are not Advertisers. To receive the Bankrate.com rate from an Advertiser, please identify yourself as a Bankrate customer. Bank and thrift deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Credit union deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.
Consumer Satisfaction: Bankrate attempts to verify the accuracy and availability of its Advertisers' terms through its quality assurance process and requires Advertisers to agree to our Terms and Conditions and to adhere to our Quality Control Program. If you believe that you have received an inaccurate quote or are otherwise not satisfied with the services provided to you by the institution you choose, please click here.
Rate collection and criteria: Click here for more information on rate collection and criteria.