Who's The Next Big Pharma Acquisition?
In a new report, Jefferies analyst David Steinberg looked at the frenzy of M&A activity that has been happening in the specialty pharmaceuticals space in recent years. According to the report, 2014 was a blockbuster year for buyouts, and 2015 is on pace to be a record year.
Perfect M&A Environment
In the report, analysts explain that the current M&A cycle in pharmaceuticals has been driven by three key environmental factors: cheap debt, tax inversions and the creation of “cash” earnings reporting, which has allowed buyers to report immediate earnings accretion following a transaction.
Analysts describe the current M&A cycle, which began in 2005, as “robust,” and the current stage of the cycle particularly strong.
Last year saw 45 pharmaceutical M&A transactions worth $141 billion dollars. While 2014 was the strongest year so far for the current cycle, the 16 deals so far in 2015 totaling $99 billion puts this year well ahead of last year’s pace.
Despite the major momentum, analysts caution that as little as one bad deal could bring the current M&A boom to a screeching halt.
Jefferies names the following companies as the current top potential pharmaceutical buyout targets.
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc (NYSE: VRX)
- Shire PLC (NASDAQ: SHPG)
- Perrigo Company Public Limited Co (NYSE: PRGO)
- Zoetis Inc (NYSE: ZTS)
- MaLlinckrodt Public Limited Co (NYSE: MNK)
- Jazz PharMaceuticals Public Limited Co (NASDAQ: JAZZ)
- United Therapeutics Corp (NASDAQ: UTHR)
- Pacira Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: PCRX)
- Insys Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: INSY)
- The Medicines Co (NASDAQ: MDCO)
- DepoMed Inc (NASDAQ: DEPO)
- Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SPPI)
- Kythera Biopharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: KYTH)
- Revance Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RVNC)
- Xenoport Inc (NASDAQ: XNPT)
- Mylan NV (NASDAQ: MYL)
- Akorn Inc (NASDAQ: AKRX)
- Impax Laboratories Inc (NASDAQ: IPXL)
- Amphastar Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AMPH)
- Anacor Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ANAC)
Latest Ratings for VRX
|Dec 2016||Morgan Stanley||Downgrades||Overweight||Equal-Weight|
|Nov 2016||Morgan Stanley||Maintains||Overweight|
© 2017 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.