Photo Release -- Studying Abroad Helps Students Gain an Edge on Fellow Classmates
WALTHAM, Mass., July 2, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- As students prepare to head back to college this Fall, many grapple with the decision to study abroad. Students tend to focus their decision-making process around financials and course schedules, often over-seeing the potential career benefits.
Photos accompanying this release are available at
In a recent poll of StudentUniverse customers who had spent a semester abroad, when asked what they felt was more valuable, an internship or study abroad experience, 77.1% said that the study abroad experience was more valuable. In addition, 88.2% of respondents felt that their experience helped, or will help them gain employment. In addition:
- 94% put their study-abroad experience on their resume
- 83% believe the skills acquired abroad helped their resume stand out
- 75% said their time studying abroad influenced their career path
- 85% have used their study-abroad experience as a talking point during an interview
- 60% of those currently employed found a job within 3 months after graduation
- 70% of those currently employed are in a position where they manage others
StudentUniverse also found that studying abroad isn't just about setting yourself up for a successful future. It's also about the connections you make and the lessons you learn that have a lasting impact on your personal life.
- 97% said studying abroad helped their self confidence
- 99% said it helped them better understand their strengths and weaknesses
- 96% said they would do the same exact experience again
- 96% said they are still in contact with people they met while abroad
Breakdown of respondents:
- 91.5% of total respondents studied abroad in Europe
- 75% of those spent a semester abroad while 14.8% spent a year abroad
- 51.1% studied abroad during the Spring semester and 38.2% studied in the Fall semester
- 93.3% visited another country during their time abroad (other than the country where the program was located)
Studying abroad helps young adults gain self-confidence, improved cognitive and interpersonal skills, and stronger cultural sensitivity. It prepares them for success and gives an edge over their peers as they venture into the professional landscape.
"At StudentUniverse, we believe studying abroad enriches a college education," said Paul Jacobs, Vice President of Marketing. "Those who take an interest in exploring the world away from home and learning from it, come back motivated and better prepared to take on new challenges. Our objective is to make those experiences more affordable and catered to students' needs."
Online since 2000, StudentUniverse is a travel company that provides exclusive discounts, rewards, and experiences for students, faculty and youth (18-25). StudentUniverse negotiates exclusive airfares from over 65 airline partners globally, discounted rates on hotels and tours all over the world. We believe that travel enriches education and that students should be able to explore their world without breaking the bank.