Barron's Picks And Pans: Gold, Energy, Dividends And More
- This weekend's Barron's takes a look at six undervalued energy stocks and five ways to play the new gold rally.
- Other featured articles offer the prospects for a medical device maker with a breakthrough product and an underappreciated investment manager.
- Also, a top fund manager shares some of his current dividend picks and other thoughts.
"6 Undervalued Energy Stock Picks" by Andrew Bary points out that after their bankruptcies, some oil exploration and production companies have emerged with stronger balance sheets. See which of the formerly debt-laden energy companies Barron's thinks are now attractive to value-oriented investors, including Halcon Resources Corporation (NYSE: HK), as well as why.
In "Skeptics Eye Potential Trouble for Glaukos," Vito J. Racanelli suggests that, even though Glaukos Corp (NYSE: GKOS) has warned that it might lose money this year, Wall Street appears to be betting otherwise. This eye-stent maker has had success with a breakthrough product and dominates its market, but formidable competition still looms.
Kopin Tan's "The New Gold Rally: 5 Ways to Play It" makes a case that this precious metal is likely to keep climbing, even though it already is up nearly 10 percent so far this year. Exchange traded fund SPDR Gold Trust (ETF) (NYSE: GLD) and gold miner stock Barrick Gold Corp (NYSE: ABX) are among the picks worth a look now, according to Barron's.
This undervalued and overlooked broker is trading at a substantial discount, according to "Jones Lang LaSalle: Soon to Be a Hot Property" by David Englander. Barron's believes investors aren't giving Chicago-based Jones Lang LaSalle Inc (NYSE: JLL) enough credit for its less-cyclical, annuity-like operations. Could its shares rise as much as 40 percent over the next year?
In Reshma Kapadia's "Hersh Cohen Shares His Top Dividend Picks," see what ClearBridge Investments fund manager Harry "Hersh" Cohen sees in top dividend payers such as Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE: MRK) and Schlumberger Limited. (NYSE: SLB). He also shares his thoughts on whether the market is putting in a top, what contributes to market complacency and more.
Also in this week's Barron's:
- The latest Barron's Mutual Fund Quarterly
- A trillion-dollar startup is making a move
- What airstrikes signal about the president' priorities
- Whether stocks are finally topping
- Whether the market underestimates Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX)
- Payout-growing stocks that have strong upside
- How to get more client referrals
- Three hot under-the-radar Asian tech stocks
- Five picks for steel protectionism
- The hope for change in Venezuela
Keep up with all the latest breaking news and trading ideas by following Benzinga on Twitter.
© 2017 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.