- Wells Fargo analyst Roger Read downgraded Baker Hughes Co BKR from Overweight to Equal-Weight with a $29 price target, down from $32.
- Read writes that the Energy Services sector is on track to deliver consistent sequential and year-on-year earnings and cash flow improvements as global E&P spending trends higher in 2023 and 2024.
- Macroeconomic headwinds may persist, but energy security and overall global oil & gas supply challenges (sanctions and lack of spare capacity) have created a sustained undersupply situation, which should support commodity prices and upstream investment.
- Notably, the analyst shifted valuation metrics for the Energy Service sector to mid-cycle as he believed the Energy Services sector should outperform the broader market.
- The stock has outperformed the broader market year-to-date, which reflects its energy-centric positioning.
- He saw Baker as a "show me" stock "that could easily continue to lag its peers for another quarter or two."
- He reduced valuation multiples and downgraded the shares.
- Price Action: BKR shares traded higher by 1.74% at $26.55 on the last check Wednesday.
© 2023 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.