Market Overview

Susquehanna Upgrades Target, 'A Long-Term Survivor Of The Ongoing Retail Apocalypse'

Share:
Susquehanna Upgrades Target, 'A Long-Term Survivor Of The Ongoing Retail Apocalypse'
Related TGT
Toy Story: Bank Of America Bullish On Funko's 2019 Opportunities
CME Group, Home Depot, Target: 'Fast Money' Picks For December 12
Markets Lose Steam Amid Growth Jitters (Wall Street Breakfast Podcast) (Seeking Alpha)

Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT)'s ongoing turnaround initiatives earned the retailer an upgrade from Susquehanna Financial Group on Wednesday. 

The Analyst

Susquehanna's Bill Dreher upgraded Target's stock rating from Neutral to Positive with a price target boosted from $54 to $84.

The Thesis

Target's biggest hope for a successful turnaround is a focus on exclusive brands where it won't face any competition, Dreher said in the upgrade note. (See the analyst's track record here.) 

Target appears to have hit the mark in this category, and the addition of multiple exclusive brands should help the company reach its "very achievable, and frankly beatable" fiscal 2018 guidance of a low-single-digit comp, the analyst said.

Target's management team is retiring older brands in favor of private label ones in high-strength categories, according to Susquehanna. 

Behind the scenes, Target is working oimproving its inventory management, Dreher said.

"Target is working to move to a place where they only push, say, 40 percent of an apparel set to the store, and then replenish with the remaining 60 percent of inventory," the analyst said. "That's a big opportunity for Target, but also requires a fundamental change in the supply chain." 

Target's smaller format stores are around 20 percent the size of a traditional store, but "much more" productive on a sales-per-square-foot basis at $600, which is double Target's average, Dreher said. The smaller format stores also generate higher gross margins given the exposure to higher-margin categories, he said. A continued focus on the new format "makes a lot of sense" in light of limited competition from discount stores, and offers a geographic separation from closer rivals like Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT), Dreher said. 

Target's stock valuation implies it is a "department store that happens to sell food (and not very well at that)," the analyst said. Once the market begins to appreciate Target's strengths and status as a viable omnichannel company and a survivor of the "retail apocalypse," the stock can move higher to, at the very least, "approach that of the discount store average," he said. 

Price Action

Shares of Target were trading higher by 2.68 percent Wednesday afternoon. 

Related Links:

Analyst Echoes Predictions Amazon Will Buy Retailer: 'Downtrodden Big Box, Department Store Player'

Amazon To Buy Target? That's Loup Ventures' 'Boldest' Prediction For The Year

Photo by Mike Kalasnik/Flickr.

Latest Ratings for TGT

DateFirmActionFromTo
Dec 2018CitigroupMaintainsNeutralNeutral
Nov 2018Morgan StanleyMaintainsUnderweightUnderweight
Nov 2018CitigroupMaintainsNeutralNeutral

View More Analyst Ratings for TGT
View the Latest Analyst Ratings

Posted-In: Apparel Bill Dreher Department Store retailAnalyst Color Upgrades Price Target Analyst Ratings Best of Benzinga

 

Related Articles (TGT + WMT)

View Comments and Join the Discussion!

Latest Ratings

StockFirmActionPT
DLTRBernsteinUpgrades0.0
CNPUBSUpgrades34.0
UGIUBSDowngrades63.0
ATOUBSDowngrades106.0
CSCONomuraDowngrades50.0
View the Latest Analytics Ratings
Don't Miss Out!
Join Our Newsletter
Subscribe to:
Market in 5 Minutes
Everything you need to know about the market - quick & easy.
Daily Analyst Rating
A summary of each day’s top rating changes from sell-side analysts on the street.
Fintech Focus
Your weekly roundup of hot topics in the exciting world of fintech.
Thank You
for registering for Benzinga’s newsletters and alerts.
• The Daily Analysts Ratings email will be received daily between 7am and 10am.
• The Market in 5 Minutes email will be received daily between 7am and 8am.
• The Fintech Focus email will be received every Friday between 2pm and 5pm.

Trunomi Takes The Headaches Out Of Data Privacy Compliance

Mid-Afternoon Market Update: TSR Surges Following Q2 Results; NetScout Systems Shares Plunge