15 Activist Bank Stocks Worth Watching
Marketfy Maven Tim Melvin recently discussed community bank stocks, particularly those with interest from activist investors.
Some activists like Joseph Stilwell, Lawrence Seidman and PL Capital are known to "take steps to increase shareholder value, or just sell [small banks] outright," Melvin explained.
Citing empirical research from Sterne Agee, he said, activist-led community banks have historically outpaced the NASDAQ Bank Stock Index by nearly three-fold.
Some Trading Ideas
Melvin detailed 15 community bank stocks with interest from Stilwell, Seidman and PL Capital (though it will be worth watching the next round of 13F filings for any updates):
- First Financial Northwest, Inc. (NASDAQ: FFNW) (Stilwell's largest position)
- Provident Financial Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: PROV)
- Northeast Community Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: NECB)
- HopFed Bancorp, Inc (NASDAQ: HFBC)
- Ameriana Bancorp (NASDAQ: ASBI)
- ConnectOne Bancorp Inc (NASDAQ: CNOB) (Seidman's largest position)
- Franklin Financial Corp (NASDAQ: FRNK)
- Stonegate Bank (NASDAQ: SGBK)
- Fox Chase Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: FXCB)
- National Penn Bancshares (NASDAQ: NPBC)
- Metro Bancorp Inc (NASDAQ: METR) (PL Capital's largest position)
- Banc of California Inc (NYSE: BANC)
- BankFinancial Corporation (NASDAQ: BFIN)
- Enterprise Financial Services Corp (NASDAQ: EFSC)
- MutualFirst Financial, Inc. (NASDAQ: MFSF)
Latest Ratings for FFNW
|Nov 2016||Sandler O'Neill||Downgrades||Buy||Hold|
|Feb 2016||Fig Partners||Downgrades||Outperform||Market Perform|
© 2017 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.