The U.S. Department of Justice reportedly asked a federal judge to hold former President Donald Trump’s office in contempt for failure to comply with a subpoena related to the return of classified documents.
What Happened: The Justice Department lawyers asked U.S. District Court Judge Beryl Howell to hold Trump’s office in contempt in recent days, reported The Washington Post, citing people familiar with the matter.
The hearing in the matter is set for Friday, according to two people familiar with the sealed court proceedings, reported the Journal.
The request for holding the former president’s office in contempt reportedly came months after frustrations escalated between the DoJ and Trump’s team on whether a search had been thoroughly conducted at his Mar-A-Lago Club and residence in Florida.
Why It Matters: One of the major disagreements between the two sides is Trump’s legal team’s repeated refusal to designate a custodian of records to attest that all classified materials have been returned to the federal government, noted the Post.
“This is a political witch hunt unlike anything like this country has ever seen,” said Steven Cheung, a spokesperson for Trump. Cheung said that the former president’s lawyers continue to cooperate and be transparent, according to the report.
On Wednesday, it was reported that more classified papers were unearthed by Trump lawyers. The documents were stored in a storage unit in West Palm Beach, Florida along with swords and wrestling belts.
© 2023 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.