Bill Gates Explains Why His Tesla Short Position Shouldn't Hurt Elon Musk

Zinger Key Points
  • Bill Gates has an explanation as to why his Tesla short position won't hurt Elon Musk
  • He acknowledges Musk is doing a fantastic job
  • Gates underlines he is doing a lot more than anyone toward climate change and philanthropy

Bill Gates earned the displeasure of Tesla, Inc. TSLA chief executive officer Elon Musk by taking a short position against the EV maker.

A chat between the two that was leaked on Twitter in April showed Musk refusing to work with Gates on philanthropy or climate change initiatives, as Gates was trying to profit from a fall in Tesla stock. The Tesla CEO also said this is contradictory to Gates' desire to fight climate change and that he should be supporting Tesla's electric vehicle development.
In an interview with a French YouTube channel "Hugo Decrypte" that was aired on Thursday, Gates was asked if Musk is right in taking such a stance.

Gates responded by saying. Tesla isn't short of capital, and the company has done a "fantastic job." He also said the company's cars are great.

Related Link: Musk's Brash Communication Hits Tesla Shares, Nio And Chinese Peers Weather Lockdowns, GM Pushes Bolt Sales: EV Industry Week Highlights

The Microsoft Corporation MSFT founder noted that he gives a lot more money to efforts addressing climate change than Musk or anyone else for that matter.

Gates pointed out that cars account for only 16% of emissions, and the other 84% also needs to be solved. Although he acknowledged that Musk has "done a great job." 

"Somebody shorting his stock doesn't slow him down or hurt him in any way," Gates added.

As recently as late last month, Musk in a Twitter chat with his followers said Gates' Tesla short bet may have ballooned, and the latter would need about $1.5 billion to $2 billion to cover the short position.

Tesla closed Friday's session down 9.22% at $703.55, according to Benzinga Pro.

Photo: Courtesy of Greg Rubenstein and TED Conference on Flickr 

Posted In: Bill GatesElon MuskNews

Ad Disclosure: The rate information is obtained by Bankrate from the listed institutions. Bankrate cannot guaranty the accuracy or availability of any rates shown above. Institutions may have different rates on their own websites than those posted on Bankrate.com. The listings that appear on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where, and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products.

All rates are subject to change without notice and may vary depending on location. These quotes are from banks, thrifts, and credit unions, some of whom have paid for a link to their own Web site where you can find additional information. Those with a paid link are our Advertisers. Those without a paid link are listings we obtain to improve the consumer shopping experience and are not Advertisers. To receive the Bankrate.com rate from an Advertiser, please identify yourself as a Bankrate customer. Bank and thrift deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Credit union deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.

Consumer Satisfaction: Bankrate attempts to verify the accuracy and availability of its Advertisers' terms through its quality assurance process and requires Advertisers to agree to our Terms and Conditions and to adhere to our Quality Control Program. If you believe that you have received an inaccurate quote or are otherwise not satisfied with the services provided to you by the institution you choose, please click here.

Rate collection and criteria: Click here for more information on rate collection and criteria.