Market Overview

Enbridge And Spectra Merger Creates Biggest Energy Infrastructure Company In North America

Share:
Enbridge And Spectra Merger Creates Biggest Energy Infrastructure Company In North America

Enbridge Inc. (NYSE: ENB) and Spectra Energy Corp. (NYSE: SE) reached a definitive deal in a stock-for-stock merger transaction. The transaction values Spectra Energy approximately $28 billion based on Enbridge's shares closing price on September 2.

The merged entity would establish the biggest energy infrastructure firm in North America. The transaction would also establish one of the biggest pro-forma enterprise values of about $127 billion. The companies expect the transaction to be completed in the first quarter.

According to the transaction terms, Spectra shareholders would get 0.984 shares of the merged company for every share they current hold. In terms of consideration, this worked out to $40.33 a share or 11.5 percent premium to the closing price of Spectra Energy on September 2.

Once the transaction is completed, Enbridge shareholders would represent 57 percent of the merged entity while Spectra Energy shareholders would own the remaining about 43 percent. The merged entity would be known as Enbridge Inc. Spectra President and CEO, Greg Ebel, would become the Chairman of the merged firm.

For the 12-month period ended June, both the companies' earnings before EBIT were $4.4 billion on revenue of US$31 billion.

Enbridge President and CEO, AI Monaco, said, "We are accomplishing that goal by combining with the premier natural gas infrastructure company to create a true North American and global energy infrastructure leader. This Transaction is transformational for both companies and results in unmatched scale, diversity and financial flexibility with multiple platforms for organic growth."

The companies expect merged firm to achieve annual synergies of US$415 million and most of them would be achieved in the latter part of 2018.

Spectra traded up by $2.79, or 7.72 percent, to $38.94.

Posted-In: M&A News Commodities Markets Trading Ideas Best of Benzinga

 

Related Articles (ENB + SE)

View Comments and Join the Discussion!
Fastest Market News Application
You'll Hear It First On Pro
Don't Miss Any Updates!
News Directly in Your Inbox
Subscribe to:
Benzinga Trading Daily
Get pre-market outlook, mid-day update and after-market roundup emails in your inbox.
Market in 5 Minutes
Everything you need to know about the market - quick & easy.
Daily Analyst Rating
A summary of each day’s top rating changes from sell-side analysts on the street.
Thank You

Thank you for subscribing! If you have any questions feel free to call us at 1-877-440-ZING or email us at vipaccounts@benzinga.com

15 Stocks Moving In Tuesday's Pre-Market Session

USD/CAD Edges Up