Real estate investment can bring predictable cash flow, tax advantages and portfolio diversification. It’s long been a reliable source of passive income, and real estate investing apps mean the market is more accessible than ever.
Use the ease of your smartphone to jumpstart your real estate investment. Check out the best real estate investing apps below.
Best Real Estate Investing Apps
- Best Overall: Arrived Homes
- Best for Institutional Real Estate: CityVest
- Best for Transparency: Elevate Money
- Best for Student Housing Investors: Collab
- Best for Commercial Real Estate: CrowdStreet
- Best for Investors Looking for a Diverse Range of Offerings: EquityMultiple
- Best for Real Estate Notes: Groundfloor
- Best Public Nontraded REITs: RealtyMogul
- Best for Beginner Real Estate Investors: Fundrise
- Best for Commercial Real Estate Investors: First National Realty
1. Best Overall: Arrived Homes
Arrived Homes is one of the newest real estate crowdfunding platforms on the market and is quickly growing in popularity. This is no surprise considering the company allows investors to buy shares of rental properties with a minimum investment of only $100.
The company handles all of the landlord headaches, such as finding and acquiring the properties, finding tenants and handling the day-to-day operations that go along with property management. Investors simply collect their share of the rental income each quarter while the properties they invest in appreciate in value over time.
Arrived Homes also makes the process incredibly easy. Simply sign up for a free account on the website and browse available properties to invest in. Since new rental properties on the platform often get fully funded rather quickly, you can reserve shares of upcoming properties before they become available, so you don't miss out on any great investment opportunities.
- User-friendly platform, making it accessible to a wider range of individuals
- The app offers a diverse range of investment opportunities, allowing users to build a well-rounded real estate portfolio
- Detailed analytics and data to help investors make informed decisions and maximize their returns
- The app offers a passive income stream through rental properties, providing a steady cash flow for investors
- Limited property options available on the app
- Lack of personalized guidance and support from a real estate agent.
- Potential risk of investing in properties without thorough research and due diligence
2. Best for Institutional Real Estate: CityVest
CityVest provides unique access to institutional real estate investment opportunities to accredited investors. Minimum investments start at just $25,000, compared to the typical six-figure investment usually required to access these types of deals.
CityVest is able to do this by pooling contributions from multiple investors into one bundle large enough to satisfy the minimum investment requirements of the top institutional real estate funds that are otherwise unavailable to individuals.
In addition, CityVest only works with institutional funds that have auditors and administrators. Each offering has a third-party due diligence report verifying the investment manager’s information to make the investment as safe as possible. Given CityVest’s pooled investment size of $5 million, they not only gain access to institutional private equity funds, but they also are able to negotiate better investment terms, usually in the form of a higher preferred return and a more attractive profit split.
- Easy access to real estate investment opportunities
- Ability to diversify investment portfolio with real estate assets
- Convenient platform for managing and tracking investments
- Potential for higher returns compared to traditional investment options
- Limited availability of properties in certain cities or regions
- Lack of personal interaction and guidance from a real estate professional
3. Best for Transparency: Elevate Money
Elevate Money offers an easy-to-use platform that allows anyone to invest with as little as $100. The platform is run by the owners of the investment properties included in the REIT. That means the people who manage the day-to-day details of each property in the REIT are calling the shots. This is an excellent platform for those who want to get up close and personal with their investments.
Elevate Money allows investors to get started quickly by linking their bank accounts and choosing the amount they want to invest. You can invest a one-time sum or contribute monthly with the auto-pay feature. The platform offers a 6.5% annualized dividend that is paid monthly. Currently, the portfolio has two properties, and as more shares are sold, more properties will be added. Investors will own a pro-rata portion of the portfolio as it grows.
- Access to a diverse range of real estate investment opportunities
- User-friendly interface, making it easy for investors to navigate and manage their investments
- Limited investment options
- Investors may have less control over the specific properties they invest in, as the app typically pools funds from multiple investors to invest in a portfolio of properties
- App fees and expenses for using their platform, which can potentially eat into investment returns
4. Best for Student Housing Investors: Collab
Collab offer unique investment opportunities, especially in the student housing sector. When you invest in this space, you can hedge your investments against inflation and collect returns. As a decentralized student housing and asset management platform, you can use Collab to invest in these properties. There’s also a community-driven management system that makes it easier for both investors and tenants.
If you’re thinking of using Collab, consider that it provides:
- Access for mid to long-term investors
- Balanced investment opportunities
- Investments with which recent grads may be familiar
- Access to alternative assets
- High cash dividends
- Quality service
- Low minimums
- Access to student housing assets near prestigious universities
- High cash dividend (4%-5% annualized) paid monthly
- High equity growth potential
- Excellent service offerings
- Limited availability of investment opportunities
- Low liquidity due to the nature of real estate investment
5. Best for Commercial Real Estate: CrowdStreet
CrowdStreet provides a convenient platform for accredited investors to add commercial real estate projects to their portfolio.
It pairs individual investors with project developers vetted with background and reference checks. You can pick individual properties or buy into CrowdStreet’s funds. The funds are composed of a diverse lineup of real estate projects.
The minimum investment varies by project, but most require a minimum of $25,000. CrowdStreet’s real estate funds also have varied minimums.
- User-friendly interface
- Diverse investment offerings
- High quality investor resources
- Accredited investors only
- Most offerings require a $25,000 minimum investment
6. Best for Investors Looking for a Diverse Range of Offerings: EquityMultiple
EquityMultiple is a new alternative investment platform that uses technology to make real estate investing easier to understand for the investor, especially when you need help choosing the right investments. There are short-term and long-term growth options, and you can make the most of the cash you invest by pinpointing the real estate in which you would like to invest, without buying properties yourself.
In short, EquityMultiple offers:
- Quick returns
- Low buy-in pricing, often less than $10,000
- Excellent client support
Remember, this platform is only for accredited investors, but it allows you to do the hands-on work that you do with your other investments. You can learn all the information you need to know, but you’re never tasked with managing these properties. You simply see the profits when they come in.
- Numerous offerings with pay-outs in less than 12 months
- High-functioning website
- Great client support
- Only available to accredited investors
7. Best for Real Estate Notes: Groundfloor
Groundfloor is a unique financial product that allows non-accredited and accredited investors to participate directly in real estate investment loans on a fractional basis. The platform opens the door to short-term, high-yield returns backed by real estate. Typical loans have returned 10 percent annually on a 6- to 12-month term.
The product is based on venture loans to real estate entrepreneurs that are originated and serviced by Groundfloor. Prior to offering, every loan is pre-funded by Groundfloor after a thorough vetting of the borrower's experience, credit worthiness and business plan. An assessment of the property value on an as-is and as-improved basis is also required.
- No investor fees
- Open to non-accredited investors
- Low minimum investment requirement
- Bankruptcy protection not offered
- High rate of an uncured default
8. Best for Public Nontraded REITs: RealtyMogul
RealtyMogul's unique online platform enables investors to handle the entire commercial real estate investing process right from their RealtyMogul dashboard. With rigorously vetted property listings, expertly managed REITs, and a commitment to providing top-notch service and support to its members, RealtyMogul makes commercial real estate accessible to everyday investors.
RealtyMogul is online property investment platform that streamlines the commercial real estate investing process and provides investors with a wide range of opportunities and products to grow their portfolio. The innovative online platform is the first of its kind to make commercial real estate investing more accessible to regular investors. With a thorough due diligence process, a full range of investing products and services, and user-friendly platform make RealtyMogul one of the most unique fintech solutions on the market.
- All in one platform
- Investment minimums as low as $5,000
- All properties are pre-vetted through RealtyMogul's transparent and rigorous due diligence process
- Individual property marketplace open only to accredited investors
- Does not offer portfolio management
9. Best for Beginner Real Estate Investors: Fundrise
With a $10 minimum investment, you can turn to Fundrise today to get into the real estate field. Plus, you get other advantages like:
- Multiple offerings
- Tax advantages
- Set it and forget it
- Access for non-accredited investors
- Easy to understand fee schedule
Use Fundrise as a place where you can get started with real estate investment without spending too much money. You can grow your investments over time, cash out if needed or remain in the real estate sector and allow your net worth to rise as the properties in which you’ve invested appreciate.
- Multiple offerings available to non-accredited investors
- A simple menu of investment options
- Incredibly affordable buy-ins
- Extended hold periods
- Limited secondary market
10. Best for Commercial Real Estate Investors: First National Realty
First National Realty is a unique platform that allows you to:
- Collect quarterly income
- From grocery-anchored retail malls and units
Capital in this sector tends to appreciate quite a bit, and you will see the top 0.1% of all deals in the industry when you work with First National. Reserved for accredited investors, all income is passive as First National takes care of everything else. With hold periods from 3 to 7 years, you can be sure the investment is healthy without the firm holding into anything for too long. You can get started with a $50,000 minimum investment at any time.
- Strong vetting process
- Partners receive quarterly cash distributions
- 100% in-house investment process helps deals close quickly and secures more value and control for investments
- $50,000 minimum investment
- Accredited investors only
What is a Real Estate Investing App?
A real estate investing app is a mobile app providing users with tools, resources, and information to help them invest in real estate. These apps typically offer features such as property search, investment analysis, mortgage calculators, and portfolio management. You can access property listings, analyze potential investment opportunities, track investments, and even connect with real estate professionals through these apps. Real estate investing apps aim to make the process of investing in real estate more accessible, convenient, and efficient for individuals looking to enter the real estate market or expand their existing investment portfolio.
How to Make Money with Real Estate Investing
You can make money with real estate investing. Establish your maximum investment amount before you get started, so you’re clear about which opportunities are open to you.
Next, determine which type of real estate investment you want to explore. Crowdfunding platforms, REITs and other alternative real estate investments mean you have choices no matter how much capital you plan to commit.
Research is always important. But go beyond superficial online research to get comfortable with your decision. Call customer service, speak to a broker and ask questions of other investors.
Plan to make a long-term commitment to your real estate investment. You may have to wait years until a property sells to see a profit. Even monthly rental income can take years to accumulate to meet your expected return.
Invest Today with a Real Estate Investing Platform
Real estate investment is more accessible than ever before. You don’t need to be a millionaire. You don’t need to spend months flipping a house. Online real estate platforms and apps mean you can invest whether you’re an accredited investor or not.
Take a look at the capital you have to invest, review the variety of real estate platforms and take the plunge into real estate investment now.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are real estate investing apps worth it?
Real estate investing apps can be worth it depending on your individual goals and preferences. These apps can provide convenience and accessibility for investors, allowing them to easily manage their investments, track market trends, and make informed decisions.
Do real estate investment apps work?
Real estate investment apps can be effective tools for investors, but your success with investing on the app ultimately depends on various factors and investment objectives.
Are real estate investing apps legit?
Real estate investing apps can be legit, but it is important to do thorough research and due diligence before investing through any app. There are reputable apps that provide legitimate opportunities for real estate investing, such as the list above. There are also scams and fraudulent apps in the market. It is crucial to verify the credibility and track record of the app, read reviews from other investors, and consider consulting with a financial advisor before making any investments.
Accelerate Your Wealth
Arrived Homes allows retail investors to buy shares of individual rental properties for as little as $100. Arrived Homes acquires properties in some of the fastest-growing rental markets in the country, then sells shares to individual investors who simply collect passive income while waiting for the property to appreciate in value over 5 to 7 years. When the time is right, Arrived Homes sells the property so investors can cash in on the equity they've gained over time. Offerings are available to non-accredited investors. Sign up for an account on Arrived Homes to browse available properties and add real estate to your portfolio today.