- Corning Inc GLW reported first-quarter FY22 core sales growth of 15% year-on-year to $3.7 billion, above the consensus of $3.57 billion.
- Display Technologies sales grew 11% Y/Y to $959 million, driven by a favorable glass pricing environment.
- Optical Communications sales rose 28% Y/Y to $1.2 billion as 5G, broadband, and cloud computing continue to drive growth.
- Specialty Materials sales grew 9% Y/Y to $493 million. Life Sciences sales rose 3% Y/Y to $310 million.
- Environmental Technologies sales declined 7% Y/Y to $409 million, reflecting lower production levels in the automotive industry due to the semiconductor chip shortage.
- Margin: The core gross margin remained flattish Q/Q at 36.6%.
- Core EPS of $0.54 beat the consensus of $0.50.
- Corning generated $171 million in free cash flow.
- Chair and CEO Wendell P. Weeks said, "We are off to an outstanding start in 2022, driven by broad-based strength across our businesses – led by 28% year-over-year sales growth in Optical Communications and continued favorable pricing in Display."
- "Looking ahead, demand for Corning content has never been greater. We expect strong top- and bottom-line growth this year, as we advance innovations and remain focused on pricing, capital efficiency, and cash generation," Weeks continued.
- Outlook: Corning sees Q2 FY22 core sales of $3.7 billion - $3.9 billion, above the consensus of $3.68 billion. It sees core EPS of $0.54 - $0.59 versus the consensus of $0.55.
- Corning sees FY22 sales exceeding $15 billion (prior view: sales of ~$15 billion) versus the consensus of $15.03 billion.
- Price Action: GLW shares traded higher by 3.85% at $35.75 on the last check Tuesday.
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Ad Disclosure: The rate information is obtained by Bankrate from the listed institutions. Bankrate cannot guaranty the accuracy or availability of any rates shown above. Institutions may have different rates on their own websites than those posted on Bankrate.com. The listings that appear on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where, and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products.
All rates are subject to change without notice and may vary depending on location. These quotes are from banks, thrifts, and credit unions, some of whom have paid for a link to their own Web site where you can find additional information. Those with a paid link are our Advertisers. Those without a paid link are listings we obtain to improve the consumer shopping experience and are not Advertisers. To receive the Bankrate.com rate from an Advertiser, please identify yourself as a Bankrate customer. Bank and thrift deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Credit union deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.
Consumer Satisfaction: Bankrate attempts to verify the accuracy and availability of its Advertisers' terms through its quality assurance process and requires Advertisers to agree to our Terms and Conditions and to adhere to our Quality Control Program. If you believe that you have received an inaccurate quote or are otherwise not satisfied with the services provided to you by the institution you choose, please click here.
Rate collection and criteria: Click here for more information on rate collection and criteria.