Snapchat+ Is Just A Paid Beta: What You Need To Know

It’s $4 per month, and you’ll still be delivered ads!

On Wednesday, Snap Inc. SNAP unveiled Snapchat+, a new subscription-based tier that would cost $3.99 per month and include "a mix of exclusive, experimental, and pre-release features."

The new service will be released to Snapchat’s 332 million users across the US, Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

With the new paid tier, Snapchat aims to tap a certain segment of active users it believes will pay for the following features:

  • Exclusive Snapchat Icons
  • Special profile badges
  • Pin a friend as BFF (Best Friend Forever)
  • Ability to see who has watched your “Snap Story” more than one time

The new version of the app is similar to Twitter Inc. TWTR Twitter Blue, which gives users a set of paid features while still serving up ads.

Benzinga’s take: Snap shares are down more than 70% year-to-date. The company’s business model has always relied on advertising — 99% of its revenue in 2021 came from advertising, and the other 1% came from Spectacles. Snapchat+ is an additional revenue stream — a beta program, packaged as a premium service.

Posted In: NewsTechTrading IdeasGeneral

Ad Disclosure: The rate information is obtained by Bankrate from the listed institutions. Bankrate cannot guaranty the accuracy or availability of any rates shown above. Institutions may have different rates on their own websites than those posted on The listings that appear on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where, and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products.

All rates are subject to change without notice and may vary depending on location. These quotes are from banks, thrifts, and credit unions, some of whom have paid for a link to their own Web site where you can find additional information. Those with a paid link are our Advertisers. Those without a paid link are listings we obtain to improve the consumer shopping experience and are not Advertisers. To receive the rate from an Advertiser, please identify yourself as a Bankrate customer. Bank and thrift deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Credit union deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.

Consumer Satisfaction: Bankrate attempts to verify the accuracy and availability of its Advertisers' terms through its quality assurance process and requires Advertisers to agree to our Terms and Conditions and to adhere to our Quality Control Program. If you believe that you have received an inaccurate quote or are otherwise not satisfied with the services provided to you by the institution you choose, please click here.

Rate collection and criteria: Click here for more information on rate collection and criteria.