Did you know most of our readers prefer DentalInsurance.com for their dental insurance needs?
As a retired member of the armed forces, you may be entitled to low-cost dental insurance through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). Compared to the now-defunct TRICARE Retiree Dental Program (TRDP), you can choose between multiple dental insurance providers.
We’ll take a closer look at FEDVIP dental programs, explore who is eligible, how much coverage costs and how you can choose a plan. We’ll also introduce you to a few of our favorite FEDVIP-approved providers, allowing you to avail yourself and your family of the best retired military dental insurance policies.
Best Retired Military Dental Insurance Providers
Now that you understand how dental insurance works, it’s time to search for coverage. Let’s take a look at some of the best dental insurance providers you’ll see on the FEDVIP marketplace.
Dental plans with UnitedHealthcare are designed to make you as healthy as possible while giving you the flexibility your family needs. Making the change to UnitedHealthcare can make it easier for you to add dental coverage to your insurance portfolio or simply get the coverage you need when it’s not offered elsewhere.
You may be living on a fixed income. This can make it more important than ever to ensure that you aren’t overpaying for insurance. You may be looking for the most affordable coverage available, so consider a plan from Ameritas. Ameritas offers some of the most consistently affordable plans. Individual options begin at about $6 a month. It also offers $0 deductibles on its most affordable plans when you need to visit the dentist.
Ameritas offers trusted health, dental and vision insurance plans. Find a provider in your area using America’s largest network.
- Orthodontic benefits
- People who have health or vision insurance with Ameritas
- Large provider network
- AM Best Rating A
- Wide range of coverage options
- Ortho coverage up to 50%
A high coinsurance percentage can seriously affect your budget — especially if you or someone on your plan needs a major dental procedure. MetLife’s MetLife Federal Dental Plan offers PPO coverage as well as low coinsurance rates.
You’ll pay 0% coinsurance for routine services and just 30% for basic corrective procedures (like cavity fillings). Plans also include coverage for orthodontics. You’ll pay just 30% of the cost of any orthodontics, which can quickly add up to tens of thousands of dollars of savings. Best of all, MetLife’s plans have no lifetime maximum benefits limit.
Choose from PPO, HMO/Managed Care and MetLife TakeAlong Dental plans with MetLife. MetLife offers a broad range of both providers and covered expenses as well as a handy mobile app. Get a quote today.
- Flexibility to see any dentist
- Extensive provider network
- Cost savings
- No network restrictions
- Saving depend on several factors like cost of plan and frequency of use
Plan to balance the cost of your deductible with your monthly premium? If so, search for a plan from Humana. Humana’s federal insurance plans include a $0 deductible on its most affordable plan choices.
Dental insurance from Humana costs as little as $12 per month in most parts of the country and a family will pay around $35 a month. Plans also include a no maximum benefit limit and 0% coinsurance for preventive services.
As one of the largest and most popular dental insurance providers in the United States, Humana offers customers a wide network of dentists, with approximately 270,000 current dental care providers. Humana dental insurance lets you save money on costs without traveling far for care. Rates for basic plans are low and include 100% coverage for preventive services. Humana can help you get the most out of your money for dental benefits.
- Early retirees
- Preventive care at 100% coverage
- Can be used with more than 270,000 dentists nationwide
- Annual maximum benefits as low as $1,000
- Can be used with more than 270,000 dentists nationwide
Don’t like any of the plans you’re seeing on the FEDVIP marketplace? If you want to shop for coverage on the open market, start with a visit to DentalPlans.com.
DentalPlans.com is a quick and easy comparison tool that allows you to view and compare all of the dental insurance plans available in your area. Just enter your ZIP code and click 1 button to start shopping for insurance. DentalPlans.com can give you access to more plan options. Keep in mind that non-FEDVIP plans may cost a bit more than marketplace options.
It can be time-consuming to find the best dental plan. You need to visit the websites of insurance companies, review the plans and determine which one fits into your budget while giving you the benefits you need.
DentalPlans.com takes the stress out of finding a dental plan. It focuses on dental savings plans, also known as dental discount plans.
These plans aren’t insurance, but they can still save you a significant amount of money on your dental costs. They also have some advantages over dental insurance. For example, while traditional insurance typically has waiting periods, dental savings plans do not. And you can typically use a dental savings plan for cosmetic procedures.
DentalPlans.com has been in business for over 20 years and it has excellent reviews from its customers. You can choose among 30+ dental savings plans, and if you prefer dental insurance, DentalPlans.com offers that as well. Its customer service team is available to help you choose the best plan, and you can switch plans at any time. You can also buy a plan online.
DentalPlans.com is best for people who need dental services immediately or who need extensive dental care. It has a wide range of plans and extensive customer service availability. The website can be challenging to navigate, though, and your options are limited if you prefer dental insurance.
Learn more in this DentalPlans review.
- Those who need cosmetic dental services
- Those who need dental care immediately
- Wide variety of dental savings plans
- Extensive customer service availability
- Website can be difficult to navigate
- Limited dental insurance options
Who is Eligible for Retired Military Dental Insurance?
At least one of the following qualifications must be true to qualify for FEDVIP discounted retired military dental insurance. You must be:
- Over the age of 65 and qualified to receive retired military pay.
- A member of the Retired Reserve or Guard.
- A retired “gray-area” reservist set to begin receiving retired military benefits beginning at age 60.
- The spouse of a retired service member who is already enrolled with FEDVIP.
- The child of a service member who receives FEDVIP benefits — you must be under age 21 or a full-time student under age 23.
- The unmarried surviving spouse of a service member who died in the line of duty or as the result of a service-related injury or illness.
- A Medal of Honor recipient or the spouse of a Medal of Honor recipient.
You may enroll in FEDVIP only during the open enrollment period. This period usually begins in mid-November and runs until late December. However, you may qualify for a special enrollment period if you’ve experienced any of the following qualifying life events:
- Lost your dental insurance (for example, by leaving a job of having your independent coverage canceled)
- Gained a new family member
- Lost a family member
- Moved to another ZIP code and no longer have dental insurance because your provider doesn’t service your new area
Not sure you qualify for a special enrollment period? Create an enrollment profile at BENEFEDS.
Types of Dental Coverage
FEDVIP dental insurance plans are serviced by private companies. These companies often offer both DHMO and PPO coverage. Let’s take a look at the differences.
- Dental health maintenance organizations (DHMOs): DHMOs have a set network of dental service providers that accept your insurance. When you sign onto a DHMO plan, your insurance provider gives you a list of dentists in your network who accept your insurance plan. If you need dental work or services, you must go to one of the dentists in your network. Otherwise, you cannot use your benefits. DHMOs are usually the most affordable dental insurance options you’ll find but service areas can be quite limited.
- Preferred provider organizations (PPOs): You can choose to see any dentist you’d like if you have a PPO plan — though you can almost always save money by visiting an in-network provider. PPO plans are usually more expensive than DHMO plans, but they might be worth the extra expense if you already have a dentist you like.
Average Cost of Retired Military Dental Insurance
The FEDVIP marketplace gives you access to significant discounts on dental insurance. For an individual plan, expect to pay between $10 and $15 a month for coverage. For a family plan, expect to pay between $30 and $45 a month.
What to Look for in a Dental Insurance Provider
Not every dental insurance plan is a great deal. When you shop for insurance, be sure to look for these key features:
- An affordable deductible: Your deductible is a set amount of money you must spend on your own dental bills before your insurance kicks in and starts paying for your care. If you choose a plan with a deductible that’s too high, you could get stuck with an insurance plan that you can’t afford to use. Search for plans with deductibles that fit your budget — some insurance providers even offer $0 deductible options.
- A low coinsurance percentage: Coinsurance is the percentage of your dental health care costs you need to cover after you meet your deductible. For example, if you receive a bill for $100 and you have a 20% coinsurance rate, you’d be responsible for covering $20 out of this bill. Look for an insurance plan with low coinsurance rates to get the most out of your dental insurance plan.
- Plenty of covered treatments: Unlike health insurance providers, dental insurance providers are free to pick and choose which services they’ll cover. For example, many dental insurance companies exclude adult sealants and orthodontics from coverage. Be sure to check your official statement of benefits before you enroll in any dental insurance plan.
Choose the Best Military Dental Insurance
The specific plan options you’ll have available to you will depend on where you live and the dental insurance companies licensed to operate in your area. Be sure to get a few quotes from competing insurance companies to ensure that you don’t overpay for coverage. The best retired military dental insurance should serve your needs and ensure that you get the level of coverage you need. Because each family is different, shop around for the appropriate insurance policy before simply accepting the first plan you find.
Dental Insurance Methodology
To determine the best dental insurance providers, we pored through all United States carriers. We winnowed the list by only including companies that have a wide coverage area and product offering. To further break down the list to the true best dental insurance providers, we gave weight to carriers that offer discounts, are available in all states and have multiple payment plan options.
Dental Plans Promo
Get 10% off any dental savings plan at DentalPlans.com. You can reduce your dental care costs by saving 10-60% off at the dentist!