- Blue Bird Corp BLBD plans to offer a first-of-its-kind factory-certified electric repower program on select gasoline- and propane-powered Blue Bird school buses.
- BLBD is collaborating with Lightning EMotors, Inc ZEV to jointly develop this repower electric vehicle (EV) powertrain system.
- Blue Bird expects to launch the repower program in 2023 for gasoline- and propane-powered Blue Bird Vision Type C school buses built after September 2021.
- The electric powertrain system will allow for several battery configurations from 100kWh to 225kWh, supporting a projected vehicle range of up to 150 miles on a single charge depending on battery configuration.
- Blue Bird and Lightning eMotors recently announced a Class 5-6 electric vehicle platform to expand zero-emission transportation solutions to the commercial and recreational vehicle markets.
- "Being able to purchase new buses with the understanding that Blue Bird and Lightning eMotors can repower them to zero-emissions at a later date with complete charging and telematics support is a great bridge strategy to electrification," commented Tim Reeser, CEO of Lightning EMotors.
- Price Action: BLBD shares are trading higher by 5.29% at $11.45 and ZEV higher by 3.51% at $3.98 on the last check Wednesday.
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.