South American Soybean Futures
South America has become a major producer and exporter of agricultural products and the home to many users of our global benchmark risk management products. CME Group and B3 have combined efforts to develop a suite of South American regional products to manage risk in this region. The initial focus of the partnership will be on developing a South American soybean contract that will target international customers trading on CME and then another focused on Brazilian customers trading on B3.
- A more effective hedge for South American producers, exporters, and importers of Brazilian soybeans ‒ as it reflects export price at the port of Santos
- An opportunity to trade the spread between North American and South American soybeans, and effectively the South American soybean basis
- Available for screen trade on CME Globex or block trade reported via CME ClearPort
While our US-based Grain and Oilseed futures contracts are the global benchmarks for price discovery and risk management, we continue to add regional products like this to provide market participants with a full suite of risk management tools.
Tentatively, we expect these to be available for trade in Q3 of this year.
Pricing, Volatility and Strategy Tools
CME has a suite of free QuikStrike tools to calculate theoretical prices and Greeks on CME Group options, chart volatility, and correlations, and to test strategies in simulated markets.
CME Group first listed cleared Fertilizer swaps in 2011 for Urea, UAN, and DAP. However, not all market participants could access the cleared swaps. Since June 2019, Fertilizer futures have been listed and available to improve market access.
- Financially settled against leading fertilizer price reporting agencies: Profercy and ICIS
- Low minimum block threshold of 2 contracts - Find the Fertilizer broker directory here
- 100-ton contracts
- Includes: Urea US Gulf, Urea Egypt, UAN NOLA, DAP NOLA, Urea Brazil, and MAP Brazil
White Paper: Block Cheese Futures & Options – A New Hedging Tool
Launched in January of this year, Block Cheese futures and options are the latest agricultural products launched by CME Group. They have already garnered a great deal of open interest among dairy risk managers. Read Block Cheese Futures & Options - A New Hedging Tool, written by Sara Dorland of Ceres Dairy Risk Management to learn more. The white paper uses real-life examples to demonstrate the importance of utilizing hedging tools that more precisely represent the underlying markets for which you are managing risk and the difference in hedging effectiveness when you do not.
Stay on top of all ag-related news by following the CME Group Agriculture Showcase Page on LinkedIn or CME Group on Twitter:
To learn more about futures and options, go to Benzinga's futures and options education resource.
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.