As we approach the end of 2022, in the midst of a crypto bear market and record-breaking inflation, pundits and investing experts in the space are looking to sort out the winners and losers of this market correction.
In a keynote interview during the Dec. 7 Benzinga Future of Crypto summit, investor and “Shark Tank” host Kevin O’Leary said: “When those things get cleared up, it will likely be ten coins, and I’ll invest in all of them, the rest are as they say sh*tcoins, and they’ll go to zero,” O’Leary said.
Aylo (@Aylo_pls on Twitter), founder, writer, and “crypto degen” for @alphapleaseHQ, a crypto content and research collective, recently posted his prognostications for projects that will succeed in 2023. In a tweet, he stated: “It's not an exaggeration when people say 99% of crypto projects will die. Here are a few protocols I think are in a great position…”
“This isn't an exhaustive list & not a comment on the tokenomics,” @Aylo_pls added.
It's not an exaggeration when people say 99% of crypto projects will die.— Aylo (@alpha_pls) December 22, 2022
Not many survive a cycle & come out stronger.
Here are a few protocols I think are in a great position pic.twitter.com/ofgiHNXm92
The likely contenders for growth in 2023, according to @Aylo_pls include:
.1. Ethereum ETH/USD - He cited the fact that Ethereum has established Proof-of-Stake (POS) validation, is less inflationary than BTC, and that proto-danksharding will 100x scale the blockchain next year.
2. Polygon MATIC/USD - Citing major brands partnerships, the second-highest rate of transactions, second-highest daily transactions (all chains), 5.7 million DEX traders (a statistic not reported in their recent yearly update), and zkEVM solution.
3. Arbitrum ARBI/USD - Aribitrum has the fourth-biggest Total Value Locked (TVL), a 500% growth of active developers, and a partnership with Reddit.
4. StarkNet (ERC-20 StarkNet Token) - Has 98,000 users in Alpha, a partnership with Visa, and $100 million in Series D fundraising with an $8 billion valuation.
5. Chainlink LINK/USD - Based on its 1500+ integrations, $6 trillion in total value, and live staking v0.1.
6. Uniswap UNI/USD - He cites Uniswap as the dominant Distributed Exchange (DEX), with 67% market share, $230 million in fees generated, and $165 million in series B fundraising.
7. AAVE AAVE/USD - This premier borrowing/lending protocol, the launch of the GHO stablecoin, and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) licensing in the U.K.
8. Lido LDO/USD - He calls Lido the premier liquid staking protocol with over 240,000 users, a 66% market share, $6 billion in stakes assets, and $45 million in revenue.
9. Curve CRV/USD - The platform has nearly a 50% market share of stable trading volume and $100 million in fees generated. Curve is also due to launch the CRV stablecoin.
10. GMX GMX/USD - This dominant on-chain trading platform has $73 billion in trading volume, 170,000 users, and $100 million in fees.
Other notable chains cited by @Aylo_pls included: Solana SOL/USD, BNB BNB/USD, Cosmos ATOM/USD, Rocket Pool RPL/USD, Frax FRAX/USD, Optimism OP/USD, Synthetix SNX/USD, Gains Network GNS/USD, dYdX DYDX/USD, Hop Protocol HOP/USD, Layer Zero WBNB/USD, Illuvium ILV/USD, Treasure TREASURE/USD, and Dopex DPX/USD.
In responses, @Aylo_pls said the list of projects expected to thrive instead of just survive would be “a much shorter list.”
Also Read: Kraken To Exit Japanese Market For Second Time: Why The World's Third Biggest Exchange Is Leaving
At Benzinga's Future of Crypto event, O’Leary argued that more regulation is needed for the cryptocurrency market, with other countries like Canada, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom far ahead of the U.S.
“I think it’s to our detriment, we’ve lagged here,” O’Leary said.
O’Leary pointed out that we have regulations for exchanges like the Nasdaq and New York Stock Exchange and asked why we don’t have regulations for crypto.
“Those have rules, we just have to apply them to these exchanges.”
Cover image by Reimund Bertrams from Pixabay.
© 2023 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Visit Benzinga's Crypto Homepage - 1,000,000+ depend on Benzinga Crypto every month