Fetch by The Dodo is a comprehensive pet insurance plan provider that offers a range of coverages for dogs and cats. Though pre-existing conditions aren’t covered, Fetch by The Dodo includes coverages for treatments and services that many insurance companies exclude — for example, acupuncture, cancer treatments and emergency dental services.
Fetch by The Dodo might be the right choice for you if you’re looking for the most inclusive policy possible and you don’t have an exotic pet.
- Online vet visits
- Anyone looking for the most inclusive coverage
- Cat and dog owners
- Wide range of coverages
- Coverage for dental illnesses and cancer treatments
- Online claims submission services
- Only available for dogs and cats
- No coverage for pre-existing conditions
Fetch by the dodo Ratings at a Glance
Your pet is a valuable member of your family. Unfortunately, though most homeowner’s and renter’s insurance policies consider pets to be property, these insurance plans don’t provide coverage for the health and safety of your pet. This exclusion can leave you with potentially thousands of dollars of debt if your furry friend suffers an accident or requires expensive medical treatment due to an illness.
Pet insurance can help you foot the bill if you take your pet to the veterinarian for a major injury or illness. Fetch by The Dodo is a pet insurance provider that offers comprehensive coverage options for cats and dogs. Our Fetch by The Dodo review will help you decide if this is the right best pet insurance choice for you.
What Pets Does Fetch by The Dodo Cover?
Fetch by The Dodo is very limited in its animal coverage types. Currently, Fetch by The Dodo only offers policies for dogs and cats — though it is important to note that most breeds of both animals can be insured through Fetch by The Dodo.
Fetch by The Dodo also doesn’t limit coverage for animals based on their age, which is a major benefit that many pet insurance providers exclude. If you want coverage for an exotic pet, bird, gerbil or rodent, you’ll need to get your pet insurance through a different provider.
Fetch by The Dodo offers a wide range of coverages for both dogs and cats. Let’s take a look at what types of treatments and services are included under Fetch by The Dodo’s policies.
- Accidents and illnesses. Fetch by The Dodo offers a generous list of coverages for accidents and illnesses. If you need to take your dog or cat to the veterinarian after he or she gets sick or suffers an injury, Fetch by The Dodo will reimburse you for any treatments that the doctor determines that your pet needs.
Fetch by The Dodo’s policies include a very wide range of covered injuries and illnesses — policies even include coverage for genetic illnesses and illnesses that are common with age (so long as your pet didn’t show any signs of illness before you got your policy).
- Diagnostic appointments and scans. If you aren’t sure why your pet is sick or their illness is caused by an unknown injury, your veterinarian might request that your cat or dog receive bloodwork, an x-ray or another type of diagnostic test before treatment.
Though most pet insurance plans exclude coverage for diagnostic treatments, Fetch by The Dodo’s policies include coverage for tests so long as they are part of a treatment plan for a diagnosable injury or illness that’s included in your list of covered perils.
- Prescription medications. Fetch by The Dodo insurance policies include coverage for medications prescribed by your veterinarian to treat your pet so long as it was prescribed for an illness or injury. Nutrient supplements are also covered if your veterinarian prescribes them to treat an illness or nutritional deficiency.
- Imagining services. After an injury, a veterinarian might order diagnostic imaging services like an MRI or ultrasound to confirm the source of your pet’s illness. Like diagnostic testing, imaging services are covered by Fetch by The Dodo policies so long as they’re ordered by your veterinarian.
- Cancer treatments. Cancer can be a devastating and costly illness to treat in any type of pet. Fetch by The Dodo offers a generous range of inclusions for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, including everything from oncology to chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
- Non-routine dental treatments. Fetch by The Dodo insurance policies also include coverage for the treatment of oral diseases and other non-routine dental illnesses (like broken teeth). To qualify for this coverage, your pet must undergo a routine dental exam with clear results within 12 months before the start date of your policy.
- Surgery and rehabilitation. Fetch by The Dodo policies include any necessary surgery ordered by a veterinarian to correct a covered illness or injury. The surgery or rehabilitative services must be performed at a veterinary clinic.
- Holistic treatments. Fetch by The Dodo is 1 of the only pet insurance providers we’ve seen to provide holistic therapies such as veterinary acupuncture, homeopathic therapy and chiropractic treatment. To qualify for coverage, your veterinarian must order the holistic therapy, and the service must be performed by a licensed veterinarian.
- Referrals and specialist treatments. From oncology to dermatology, Fetch by The Dodo covers all specialist treatments and referrals that your veterinary recommends for your pet.
- COVID-19 boarding. If you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19, you might not be healthy enough to give your cat or dog the care and attention they deserve. In this circumstance, you can claim up to $1,000 in boarding fees if you must board your pet as a result of COVID-19. Fetch by The Dodo will also reimburse you for up to $1,000 of boarding expenses if your pet needs to stay away from home to recover from a surgery or treatment.
Fetch by The Dodo Coverage Exclusions
Even the best pet insurance policy won’t cover everything. Some exclusions you’ll see on your Fetch by The Dodo policy include:
- Routine and wellness care. Fetch by The Dodo’s policies won’t cover any type of routine treatments or care that aren’t related to an injury or illness. This includes check-ups, wellness visits, regular vaccinations and spaying or neutering.
- Preventive care. Your Fetch by The Dodo policy also won’t cover preventive treatments (including medications, surgeries and laboratory treatments) intended to prevent a disease that your pet doesn’t currently have. This policy applies even if your veterinarian deems a particular treatment or surgery to be medically necessary as a preventive measure.
- Cosmetic procedures. No pet insurance policy will offer coverage for cosmetic procedures not deemed to be medically necessary by your veterinarian. This includes everything from tail docking and declawing to ear cutting and elective gastropexy. It also includes cosmetic dental services like teeth whitening.
- Pre-existing conditions. Like most pet insurance policies, Fetch by The Dodo won’t cover your pet for any illnesses or injuries that they showed symptoms of before you signed onto your policy. Your policy will come with a 15-day waiting period to prevent you from using your insurance benefits for a pre existing condition. This means that in the 1st 15 days of your policy, you can’t use your insurance benefits for accidents or injuries.
- Liability coverage. Your Fetch by The Dodo policy won’t cover any type of legal expenses you incur if a guest or intruder is injured by your pet on your property. However, this coverage is included with most homeowner’s insurance and renter’s insurance policies.
The price you’ll pay for your pet insurance varies. It depends on a number of factors, including the type of pet you have, your pet’s age, where you live, your pet’s breed and much more.
Let’s take a look at what you might expect to pay for coverage depending on the type of pet you have.
|Maine coon, 6 months old||Cat insurance||$19.66 per month|
|Maine coon, 6 years old||Cat insurance||$34.43 per month|
|Labrador retriever, 6 months old||Dog insurance||$31.53 per month|
|Labrador retriever, 6 years old||Dog insurance||$74.63 per month|
|Bulldog, 6 months old||Dog insurance||$59.14 per month|
|Domestic short-hair, 6 years old||Cat insurance||$27.12 per month|
|German shepherd, 6 months old||Dog insurance||$37.96 per month|
Filing a claim with Fetch by The Dodo involves 3 steps:
- Step 1: Seek treatment. You should seek medical treatment for your cat or dog as soon as you realize that they’ve sustained an injury or illness. Under Fetch by The Dodo’s terms and conditions, you may see any licensed veterinarian and maintain your coverage. You’ll need to pay for treatment out-of-pocket when you receive service.
- Step 2: File a claim. After you receive a bill or payment document from your veterinarian, file a claim with Fetch by The Dodo. You can file a claim online or through the Fetch by The Dodo mobile app, which is available as a free download for both Apple and Android devices.
- Step 3: Wait for a reimbursement. After you file a claim, Fetch by The Dodo will look over your documentation and compare your costs with your current plan coverages. If your plan covers the service or treatment you received, Fetch by The Dodo will reimburse you for what you spent, less the cost of your deductible.
Fetch by The Dodo offers a few different methods that you can use to contact customer service:
- By phone. To get in contact with Fetch by The Dodo to ask a question about your policy, call 1-844-359-8745. If you would like to cancel your policy, call 1-844-881-7623. Customer service is available from 7 a.m. to midnight ET on weekdays and from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends.
- By email. To contact Fetch by The Dodo by email, send a message through the company’s contact request form.
You can submit a claim anytime using Fetch by The Dodo’s website or mobile app.
If you’re searching for a more inclusive policy that covers things like boarding, holistic treatments, dental care and more, Fetch by The Dodo can be an excellent option. If you’re looking for instant coverage, coverage for pre existing conditions or coverage for a pet that isn’t a dog or cat, you should look elsewhere for your insurance.
followed all instruction was never reimbursed after numerous back and forth the company said they sent money but money was NEVER SENT!!!
after ten years and in the end paying $650 month premiums, fetch denied coverage of previous bills after my dog died