Liberty Mutual is a major insurance provider offering pet insurance options for cats and dogs. The company offers 3 policy choices: an accident-only plan, an accident and illness plan and a plan that covers wellness and routine care along with both accidents and illnesses. You can get a policy quote online with just a few clicks and you can adjust your policy details to fit your needs.
Liberty Mutual’s pet insurance policies will not automatically cancel once your pet reaches a certain age, which can be a huge benefit for owners of older pets. While Liberty Mutual does not currently offer an illness-only plan, most pet owners will be able to find an affordable care option through the company’s customizable quote tool. Depending on your pet and policy, you may pay as little as $7 a month for coverage.
- Pet owners who already have some type of Liberty Mutual insurance
- Dog and cat owners up-to-date on veterinary care
- Anyone looking for customizable benefits
- Wellness benefits do not count toward annual maximum
- Instant quotes available online
- Allows policyholders to adjust deductible, maximum benefit and reimbursement
- Does not offer coverage for animals besides dogs and cats
- Pet must have a comprehensive veterinary exam before enrollment
Liberty Mutual Pet Insurance Ratings at a Glance
There are several pet insurance companies, but if you're looking for the right pet insurance plan, you have to do some research. For instance, the right pet insurance policy for you may not work for someone who has a pet with pre-existing conditions. If you're wondering if Liberty Mutual pet insurance is the right provider for you and your pet, you can learn more in Benzinga's Liberty Mutual Pet Insurance Review.
With 3 affordable policy options available for both dogs and cats, Liberty Mutual can be the budget pet insurance you’re looking for. The company’s online quote tool allows you to instantly see what you’d pay if you adjusted your policy terms, which can be helpful for anyone with a specific price in mind for coverage. You can also get signed onto a policy in just a few minutes.
In addition to solid pet insurance options, Liberty Mutual also offers 3 methods that you can use to contact customer support. Its streamlined insurance application is also easy enough for anyone to use comfortably. Though Liberty Mutual could stand to offer an illness-only plan, its current set of coverages will fit the needs of most pet owners.
Liberty Mutual offers 3 coverage options for both dogs and cats.
Liberty Mutual’s Accident plan focuses on providing coverage for emergencies and accidents, including the following:
- Accidental injuries (includes coverage for permanent teeth)
- Euthanasia or anesthesia due to an accident or major injury
- Cremation and burial expenses due to an accident
- Ingestion of a foreign object (maximum of 2 treatments available per policy year)
- Accidental death
Accident and Illness coverage
Accident and Illness coverage extends your pet’s protection to include naturally-occurring illnesses that are not the result of a traumatic accident. The Accident and Illness plan includes all of the coverages found on the Accident plan plus coverage for the following:
- Illnesses (like cancer and influenza)
- Alternative medicine
- Behavioral therapy
- Hereditary and congenital conditions
Accident, Illness and Wellness coverage
Liberty Mutual’s most comprehensive pet insurance option is its Accident, Illness and Wellness plan. This plan includes coverage for everything found on the Accident and Illness plan, plus fixed payment amounts for the following routine wellness care services:
- Wellness exams
- Intestinal deworming
- Routine dental cleaning
- Spaying and neutering
- Flea and tick prevention
- Heartworm tests and medication
- Dietary food and supplements
- Prescription medications
- Boosters and vaccinations
Wellness benefits are not subject to your deductible and do not contribute towards your maximum benefit amount.
The following are not included in any Liberty Mutual Pet insurance policy:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Breeding and pregnancy care and expenses
- Organ and tissue transplants
- Experimental treatments
- Care needed after unlawful acts
- Hereditary and congenital conditions (excluded on accident policy only)
Liberty Mutual offers 3 unique contact methods that you can use to get in touch with its customer service team.
- Online messaging: Liberty Mutual offers an online insurance management portal for all of its customers. The company claims that the easiest way to get in contact with its customer service team is by logging into your Liberty Mutual profile, which allows you to access insurance assistance 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. This can be a particularly beneficial option if you have multiple Liberty Mutual accounts.
- Phone: To contact Liberty Mutual’s team by phone, call 1-800-290-8711.
- By text: To contact Liberty Mutual via text, send a message to 80361. Standard messaging rates apply.
Unlike some pet insurance providers, Liberty Mutual makes it exceptionally easy to get a quote for your pet online. Liberty Mutual’s quote process is simple and straightforward, allowing you to begin comparing prices in as little as 1 minute.
After entering information about your pet and your location, you’ll view quotes for Liberty Mutual’s 3 policy choices. You can also adjust your prices by choosing your own deductible, annual maximum benefit amount and reimbursement percentage. Let’s take a look at a few examples of quotes from Liberty Mutual.
|Type of pet||Deductible||Annual maximum benefit||Reimbursement percentage||Accident plan||Accident and Illness plan||Accident, Illness and Wellness|
|Golden retriever, 10 years old||$500||$10,000||80%||$19.78 per month||$88.72 per month||$115.42 per month|
|Golden retriever, 10 years old||$1,000||$10,000||80%||$13.89 per month||$62.17 per month||$88.87 per month|
|Pug, 5 years old||$500||$10,000||80%||$19.78 per month||$55.09 per month||$81.79 per month|
|Pug, 5 years old||$250||$10,000||80%||$24.90 per month||$69.39 per month||$96.09 per month|
|Mixed breed dog, 5 years old||$1,000||$10,000||80%||$13.89 per month||$36.82 per month||$63.52 per month|
|Mixed breed dog, 5 years old||$500||$15,000||80%||$21.89 per month||$55.15 per month||$81.85 per month|
|Domestic shorthair cat, 5 years old||$500||$10,000||90%||$10.28 per month||$30.95 per month||$56.48 per month|
|Domestic shorthair cat, 5 years old||$1,000||$5,000||80%||$6.09 per month||$18.27 per month||$43.80 per month|
|Sphynx cat, 2 years old||$250||$10,000||80%||$11.43 per month||$30.76 per month||$56.29 per month|
|Sphynx cat, 2 years old||$1,000||$15,000||90%||$7.23 per month||$19.32 per month||$44.85 per month|
Liberty Mutual pet insurance policies also come with stackable discounts that you can take advantage of if you have homeowner’s insurance, auto insurance or another type of Liberty Mutual insurance coverage. These discounts may save you up to 20% off the cost of your pet insurance.
Liberty Mutual’s pet insurance policies provide pet owners with a few unique benefits, including the following.
- Instant pricing: In most cases, you can sign onto a policy from Liberty Mutual in just a few minutes online. The company’s instant pricing tool allows you to adjust your deductible, annual maximum and reimbursement percentages to find your perfect balance of coverage and price.
- Wellness coverage that does not contribute to annual maximum: Every pet owner knows that regular, routine care services are needed to keep your cat or dog in good health. Liberty Mutual’s wellness coverages do not contribute towards your annual benefit limit, which means that you don’t need to sacrifice coverage for regular care appointments.
- Flexibility: With Liberty Mutual’s pet insurance, you can see any veterinary care provider that you choose while using your insurance benefits. This can be a particularly great benefit if you already have a solid care routine and relationship with a certain vet’s office.
Signing onto a policy with Liberty Mutual is exceptionally easy — and any pet owner can complete an application and get coverage in just a few minutes. Before receiving your quote, you’ll be asked to submit the following information:
- Your pet’s name
- Your pet’s species (dog or cat)
- Your pet’s gender
- Your pet’s age
- Your ZIP code
- Your email address
- Your pet’s breed
- Your pet’s spaying or neutering status
- Information on your pet’s examination history
- Whether or not you’re a member of the military or have a Liberty Mutual insurance policy (for discount availability)
After submitting your information, you’ll immediately be able to view your estimates. You can freely adjust your policy details to find a price that you can afford with the benefits that you and your pet needs as well. After you finalize your coverage, you can complete your enrollment entirely online.
Image text: Liberty Mutual’s quote tool allows you to play with policy options to easily explore pricing.
Liberty Mutual Pet Insurance vs. Competitors
Liberty Mutual’s policies offer a few unique features that set the company apart from competitors.
- Adjustable policies: Instead of offering a single policy for all pets, Liberty Mutual allows you to customize your policy by balancing costs and coverage.
- Lifetime coverage: Unlike some pet insurance companies, Liberty Mutual will never terminate your pet’s insurance policy due to old age.
- No administration fees: When you sign onto a policy with Liberty Mutual, you won’t need to worry about being hit with extra fees — policies come with no administration or registration fees.
- securely through Lemonade Pet Insurance's websiteBest For:Top-rated pet insurance
Lemonade is currently available in the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District Of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin,
- securely through Pumpkin Pet Insurance's websiteBest For:Families with multiple pets
Limitations apply. For terms and conditions, visit pumpkin.care. Pumpkin Insurance Services Inc. (NPN#19084749) (“Pumpkin”) is a licensed insurance agency, not an insurer. Insurance plans underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company. Preventive Essentials is not an insurance policy, and is not available in all states.
Get Started with Liberty Mutual Pet Insurance
According to data from the American Pet Product Association, 1 out of every 3 pets will need some type of unexpected emergency care each year. Taking steps to begin comparing your options for pet insurance by getting a quote can ensure that you’re covered when your furry friend needs care.
Getting multiple quotes from competing providers may take as little as a single afternoon — but leave you with hundreds or even thousands of extra dollars in your bank account.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average cost of pet insurance per month?
As a general rule, you can expect to pay between $20 to $60 a month for most pet insurance policies. Your pet’s age, breed, location, gender and animal type will all play a role in the final cost that you’ll pay per month.
Is it worth insuring a pet?
In many cases, it can be worth the cost to insure your pet. Emergency veterinary care services can be expensive, but a pet insurance policy can ensure that you don’t need to wait to receive treatment. If you’re shopping for pet insurance on a budget, you may want to search for a higher deductible plan, which allows you to pay less per month.
Why do people get pet insurance?
The cost of a vet bill can be expensive, but if you have pet insurance, you won’t have to pay as much money out of pocket if your pet gets sick.