Liberty Mutual protects your home against a variety of common dangers and losses. An optional provision, known as loss forgiveness, helps prevent rates from going up after you file your first claim, while inflation protection helps protect your belongings each time your policy renews to help balance it with the cost of living. Damaged items are replaced at full cost, so you don’t have to worry about those items being depreciated and having to pay the difference out of pocket.
Get home insurance, renters and landlord policies from Liberty Mutual.
- Homeowners who want the freedom to customize some aspects of their coverage
- Homeowners looking for insurance that covers the full replacement cost of their personal property
- Those who are looking to save money with a solid selection of discounts
- People who want to be able to view and manage their policy online
- A long and considerable list of discounts that can save you hundreds of dollars
- Ability to manage and track claims directly from computers or mobile devices
- Excellent claims rating
- Established company
- Decent financial stability, but could be improved
- Customer service and claims handling not always consistent or satisfactory
Liberty Mutual Ratings at a Glance
Liberty Mutual offers a variety of insurance products, including home insurance. If you’re considering Liberty Mutual among your top choices for the best homeowner’s insurance, we invite you to read this comprehensive review to determine if it’s the right choice for your coverage needs.
Who’s Liberty Mutual Home Insurance Best for?
- Individuals who want protection against major natural disasters, but to also have the option to buy additional coverage for other valuables
- Individuals who want to enjoy the greatest number of discounts
- Homeowners who want insurance with loss forgiveness (rates won’t go up following a first claim)
- People who like being able to manage and check their policy details online
Liberty Mutual can be a strong option for affordable, basic homeowners insurance coverage. The company makes it easy to apply for a policy online as well as save with a number of unique discount options. It also offers multiple routes that you can use to contact customer service and a full-service mobile app. Though Liberty Mutual may not offer as many coverages as other homeowners insurance providers, it may appeal to homeowners looking for basic, straightforward protection.
Liberty Mutual offers 1 homeowner’s insurance policy you’ll add extra coverages and endorsements to as needed. Liberty Mutual’s homeowner’s insurance includes the following coverages as base protections.
- Personal property coverage: Personal property coverage pays for the actual cash value of furniture, electronics, clothing and other items that are damaged as a result of a covered peril (like a fire or windstorm).
- Dwelling coverage: This coverage helps compensate you for repairs to your home’s physical structure that result from damage after a covered peril. This coverage also extends to additional structures on your property beyond your primary residence, including things like fencing or your driveway.
- Personal liability insurance: Personal liability insurance is a type of coverage that helps you pay for the costs of legal bills and ordered judgements in the event that someone is injured on your property and sues you for the cost of medical bills. It may also cover legal expenses in the event that you’re sued after damaging someone else’s property in your home.
- Additional living expenses: This protection helps you pay for additional living expenses in the event that your home becomes uninhabitable following damage from a covered peril. For example, if your home catches on fire and suffers major damage, this protection will help you pay for the cost of renting a hotel room or other living arrangement until your property is restored.
From here, you can add the following optional coverages to your homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Replacement cost coverage: Helps you cover the full cash value of possessions that are damaged because of a covered peril.
- Blanket jewelry protection: Extends your personal property coverage to include more complete protection for high-value jewelry you own.
- Hurricane coverage: Extends your protections to include damage caused by a hurricane.
- Escape of water coverage: Provides coverage for damage that occurs because of water backup and overflow.
- Inflation protection: Automatically adjusts your coverage limits to keep up with the current rate of inflation.
The availability and cost of these additional coverages may vary by state. In some states, you may need to pay an additional deductible for hurricane coverage.
Liberty Mutual Group offers a few unique options you can use to contact its customer service team, including the following.
- By phone: To contact Liberty Mutual’s team by phone, dial 1-800-290-8711. Specific customer service hours are not available on Liberty Mutual’s website.
- By text: To contact Liberty Mutual via text, send a message to 80361. Standard messaging rates apply.
- Via online portal: Liberty Mutual says the easiest way to get in contact with its customer service team is to log onto your Liberty Mutual online portal and chat with a representative. Online messaging is available 24/7, but you must already have a Liberty Mutual online account to access this feature.
Like most homeowners insurance companies, the price you’ll pay for your policy from Liberty Mutual will vary depending on factors like:
- Your location: Incidents of extreme weather, your proximity to a fire station and the local crime rate can all affect how much homeowners insurance costs.
- Cost to replace/rebuild your home: This isn’t the market value of your home or the tax assessment but rather the actual cost to rebuild it. For instance, if your home was destroyed in a storm, the replacement value is how much it actually costs to rebuild it. Labor and materials are taken into consideration when calculating this rate, as are the availability of materials and inflation.
- The age and condition of your home: There are specific details that go into this calculation, including the materials that were used to build your home, how old the roof is and the condition of the furnace. Liberty Mutual also factors in whether these same building materials are still available and their current market prices.
- Inclusion of safety devices: Items like a burglar alarm, smoke detectors and deadbolt locks can all help protect your home and your items while helping you save money on your homeowner’s insurance.
- Your deductible: This is the initial amount that you pay out of pocket before your insurance coverage kicks in. The higher your premium (the total amount that you pay for your policy), the lower your deductible is.
You can claim a quote for free online through Liberty Mutual’s website. However, you cannot view your quote or finalize your rate without submitting personal information, including your Social Security number and birthday. You can also save 10% when you book your policy online.
Available Liberty Mutual Home Discounts
- Multi-policy discount: Having multiple policies, such as bundling your home and auto insurance, can give you a discount that provides you with additional savings.
- Claims-free discount: You can save money on your Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance by not filing a claim for 5 years or more with your previous home insurance provider.
- Protective devices discount: Smart home devices, sprinklers, fire alarms, fire extinguishers and other protective devices in your home can earn you a discount on homeowner’s insurance with Liberty Mutual.
- Newly purchased home discount: If you purchased your home recently, you’ll get additional savings on your home insurance.
- Early shopper discount: Requesting a quote before your insurance with another carrier expires will get you a small discount.
- Safe homeowner program: If you go claims-free with Liberty for 3 or more years, you can be rewarded with savings on your policy.
- Insured to 100% of value discount: Insuring up to 100% of the cost to replace your home, you may qualify for a discount.
- New or renovated home discount: You may save money on your policy if your home was built or renovated recently.
- Military discount: Grateful for the service of military veterans and those who currently serve, Liberty Mutual offers a discount as a show of thanks.
- Preferred payment discount: Choosing to pay with electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly from your bank account qualifies you for a preferred payment discount.
- New roof discount: You’ll save money on your policy if you recently replaced your old roof or had a new one installed.
- Going paperless discount: Going paperless is not only a trend in billing, but it’s also good for the environment and your wallet.
Liberty Mutual offers a comprehensive mobile app that makes it exceptionally easy to access your policy details and make claims on-the-go. Some of our favorite features offered by the Liberty Mutual insurance app include the following.
- Claims filing: You can file a claim with Liberty Mutual directly through the app. Simply begin a claim, upload photos of the damage, and the insurance provider will connect you with a representative who can guide you through the process of getting your payments.
- Claims tracking information: After you file a claim with Liberty Mutual (online via your desktop or through the app) you can track the status of your claim through your app profile. This can be a very useful feature for frequent travelers who need regular access and updates to their outstanding claims on the road.
- Policy management: In addition to placing a claim and viewing your insurance information, you can also change your policy details through the app as well. For example, you can change your autopay schedule and sign up for paperless statements with just a few swipes on the app.
The Liberty Mutual insurance app is available as a free download for both Android and iOS devices. A special tablet-compatible app option is also available.
Purchasing a policy with Liberty Mutual can provide you with benefits beyond your standard homeowners insurance coverage. The following are some of the most unique benefits you’ll enjoy as a Liberty Mutual homeowners policy owner.
- Coverage calculator: Not sure which type of coverages you should purchase on your homeowners insurance policy? Liberty Mutual offers an online coverage calculator tool that allows you to learn more about optional coverages that may benefit you the most.
- Plenty of discounts available: If you’re looking for discounts on already-affordable coverage, you’ll love the wide-reaching range of discounts offered by Liberty Mutual. You can save on everything from common home safety features to electing to receive statements online instead of in the mail.
- Comprehensive mobile offering: Liberty Mutual’s mobile app offers an impressive range of features, going above and beyond other insurance companies’ mobile offerings. You can file a claim, change your insurance information and connect with a representative who will help you track your claim directly through the app. There’s little question why Liberty Mutual’s app is so highly rated on both iOS and Android stores.
If you’ve never applied for an insurance quote before, you’ll appreciate Liberty Mutual’s straightforward and streamlined process. Simply answer a few questions about yourself and your property to begin your process of getting a quote. As you progress through the application, Liberty Mutual may also be able to use public real estate data to limit the number of details you’ll need to enter about your property.
While you do need to submit your personal information in order to reveal your insurance quote, new homeowners will appreciate how easy it is to complete the online process. In addition to making it easy to get a quote in less than 5 minutes, you’ll even save 10% off your policy just by applying online.
Liberty Mutual Home Insurance Versus Competitors
Liberty Mutual’s insurance policies have a few unique features that set the company apart from other homeowners insurance providers.
- An all-inclusive mobile app: Some insurance companies only allow you to view your policy details through your mobile app — if the company offers an app at all. Liberty Mutual allows you to track and place claims through the app along with actively managing your policy benefits.
- Optional coverage to protect against inflation: Liberty Mutual offers automatic policy adjustments that help you keep your coverage rate up to date with inflation. This provides you with an easier way to keep your policy current for years to come.
- Discounts for applying online: It’s exceptionally easy to qualify for homeowners insurance discounts when you work with Liberty Mutual. You’ll save an instant 10% off your policy just for applying online.
Other Related Insurance Types Offered by Liberty Mutual
Get Started With Liberty Mutual
Between the costs of property taxes and maintenance, owning a home can be expensive. One of the easiest ways to save money on your homeowners insurance coverage is by getting a quote with multiple insurance providers before you sign onto a policy. Knowing all of your options ensures that you don’t rush to choose a policy and end up overpaying. Start getting quotes from multiple competing providers in your area now to save in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take Liberty Mutual to pay a home insurance claim?
You have 20 days to submit a claim from the time of the occurrence or event. From there, Liberty Mutual is reported to take up to 10 weeks to respond and will typically issue a check sometime between 2 and 6 weeks after a settlement is reached.
Does Liberty Mutual offer flood insurance?
Liberty Mutual offers flood insurance, but only federal policies through the National Flood Insurance Program.
What is the average monthly cost for homeowners insurance?
The cost of your homeowner’s insurance will vary depending on your home’s value and where you live. The average homeowner in the United States can expect to pay between $77 and $140 a month for coverage.
Is homeowners insurance based on property value?
The value of your property and the cost that your insurance company would incur if your home needed to be rebuilt both play a major role in what you’ll pay for insurance. Other factors that will influence your premium will include coverage levels, location and your claims history.