Contributor, Benzinga
November 10, 2022
Kin Insurance
Overall Rating:
securely through Kin Insurance's website

Kin Insurance, born in 2016, gives homeowners a new insurance option. It strives to provide easy-to-understand home insurance policies and service to homeowners everywhere, even in catastrophe-prone coastal areas. You can expect affordable coverage and customized policies from Kin.

Best For
  • Homeowners in catastrophe-prone areas
  • Homeowners who need help understanding coverage
  • Walks you through your policy so you understand your coverage
  • Deals on hardware and services to keep your home safe
  • Coverage of high-risk weather catastrophes
  • Easy to sign up online
  • Coverage not available in all areas
  • No discount for bundling with auto policies

Kin Insurance Ratings at a Glance

Coverage Selections
Pricing and Value
Customer Service
Claims Support

Home insurance is an essential aspect of home ownership. With the right policy, you can ensure that any losses you experience are covered by your policy. That includes losses from fire, theft, and more.

If you’re in the dark about what your home insurance coverage actually includes, you’re not alone. The details of any insurance policy can be confusing, but certain providers can help you find home insurance that makes sense. Benzinga’s Kin Insurance review can help you decide whether the insurance company is a good fit for you.

Kin Insurance Products

Kin provides a plethora of products that make a pointed effort to cover you if you live in a coastal area. Here’s what the company offers: 

  • Homeowners insurance: You’re probably required to have homeowners insurance if you have a mortgage. Even if your home is completely paid off, homeowners insurance covers the repair or replacement of the physical structure and the belongings inside your home. Typical homeowners insurance policies cover damage caused by fire and smoke, hurricanes, hail, lightning, theft and water damage from a burst pipe or flooding and more.
  • Florida homeowners insurance: Some home insurance companies exclude Florida from coverage due to hurricanes. Kin offers affordable homeowners insurance to Florida residents, even if you live on the coast or another area at risk for catastrophic events.
  • Mobile and manufactured home insurance: Kin provides insurance for mobile and manufactured homes, no matter where they are. This includes private property, mobile home parks and subdivisions. You can expect these policies to offer the same coverage as Kin’s other home insurance products. And yes, you can get a mobile home insurance policy in Florida, too!
  • Flood insurance: You can add flood insurance to your homeowner's insurance instead of purchasing an entirely separate flood policy. If you add flood insurance to your homeowner's insurance, you can pay a single premium for both policies. Your deductible (the amount of money you pay out of pocket before Kin will pay for covered damages) is applied to both policies as well. If you live in Florida, know that flood insurance is the only type of coverage that will pay for any damage caused by storm surges.
  • Hurricane insurance: Did you know that most homeowners' policies don’t cover hurricane wind damage? If you live in an area prone to hurricanes, your Kin homeowners insurance policy will have a separate deductible for claims related to hurricane wind damage. You still need to get separate coverage for flood damage from hurricanes.
  • Landlord insurance: If you own an investment property and rent it to long-term tenants, you need landlord insurance. Renting out just 1 room or your home for a short period of time may not require additional insurance.
  • Umbrella insurance: This is a supplemental product that gives you greater liability coverage if someone is injured on your property. You can only purchase an umbrella policy if you have a home or auto insurance policy with a minimum amount of primary liability coverage.
  • Second-home insurance: A second home is a home that you live in for 6 months or less per year, such as a summer or vacation home. Second homes are considered higher risk because they are unoccupied for a large portion of time and damages may go unnoticed. Second homes can also be more susceptible to theft.

Available Discounts and Tips to Get the Best Rates

Kin offers several discounts, including:

  • Discounts for in-home fire and security alarms
  • Discounts for remaining claim-free for more than 7 years
  • Paperless discounts
  • Discounts for homeowners association membership

To get the best rates, go through the quote process and provide accurate information to see available discounts.

Kin Insurance Coverage Selections

Each homeowners insurance policy offers specific coverage selections. A standard policy includes: 

  • Dwelling coverage takes care of the structure of your home when it’s damaged by a covered event such as theft or fire. It pays to repair or rebuild damage to walls, floors, roof, windows or even the foundation of your home.
  • Other structures coverage can help out if your garage, shed, fence or other structures are damaged by a covered event.
  • Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings and helps you pay for repair or replacement if they are damaged by a covered event.
  • Loss-of-use insurance helps pay for your extra living expenses if a covered event, such as a fire, makes it impossible to stay in your home for a period of time. Additional living expenses covered can include hotel costs, restaurant bills and more.
  • Personal liability insurance can help you pay for legal expenses if you’re held responsible when someone is injured or experiences damage or loss to personal property at your home. 
  • Medical payments insurance is designed to help cover the medical expenses if guests are injured at your home.

Flood Insurance

Kin is a provider of flood insurance, even in high-risk areas. Flood insurance is an add-on to homeowners insurance that covers damage caused by storm surges as well as groundwater seepage, mudslides and floods caused by broken water mains. Bundling flood insurance with your home policy is a good idea because when damage occurs you only pay one deductible when something bad happens, it also is cheaper than buying it separately.  You can make claims on items such as:

  • Electrical, heating, cooling and plumbing systems
  • Appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers
  • Carpets and window treatments
  • Built-in storage units such as bookcases and cabinets
  • Foundation, walls, anchorage systems and attached staircases
  • Detached garages
  • Clothing, furniture and electronics in the basement
  • High-value items such as artwork

Hurricane Insurance

Kin’s policies include coverage for day-to-day events such as water leaks and fires but also include Hurricane insurance that covers catastrophic damage that can occur as a result of a named storm — like Hurricane Maria.  

Coverage for hurricane wind damage includes:

  • Your home’s structure
  • Other structures like a garage, fence or shed
  • Personal belongings such as clothing, furniture and appliances

Landlord Insurance

When you have rental properties, you need landlord insurance. Landlord insurance policies are different from homeowner insurance policies. Kin’s landlord policy covers:

  • Property: This includes the dwelling, other structures and any personal property on-site to care for a rental, such as a snowblower or a lawnmower. 
  • Fair rental income: If a covered event makes your rental unit unfit for occupation, this coverage can help make up for lost income.
  • Unoccupied space: This covers your unit even if no one is living in it at the time of a covered event.
  • Liability: Landlord liability coverage may help you cover legal expenses or medical bills when someone is injured at your rental property.

Umbrella Insurance

Umbrella insurance gives you a greater amount of liability coverage and typically covers the same incidents as home and auto insurance. You might need to look into an umbrella policy if the value of your total assets is higher than the limits of your auto and home liability. Umbrella policies provide another layer of coverage for:

  • Bodily injuries suffered by other people
  • Damage you cause to someone else’s property

Pricing and Value

Kin is constantly innovating to provide coverage at a low cost. The company leverages thousands of data points to hone in on appropriate coverage at the right price for you. The cost of your home insurance premium depends on:

  • Where you live
  • The type of home you live in
  • Your credit score and claims history
  • The coverage you select
  • Your deductible

If you’re looking for cheap home insurance, compare policies to find the best value.

Customer Service

You can reach customer service by phone, text, email or chat. Its website also features an educational blog, FAQ section and insurance glossary to help you break down policy details. 

Kin’s licensed representatives check in with you just to see how you’re doing, not just when you file a claim.

Contact customer service at 855-216-7574 or

Claims Support

Kin offers a dedicated Claims center on its website. You can use a virtual inspection to help settle your claim quickly. Contact the Claims Loss center at 866-204-2219 or

Is Kin Insurance Right for You?

Kin makes insurance easy to understand and offers educational support for your policy. The company also offers affordable insurance — even in hurricane-prone areas. Get a free quote to see if Kin can provide the right coverage for you. 


How long has Kin insurance been around?


Kin insurance has been in business since 2016.


Is Kin Insurance expensive?


Kin Insurance is thought to be less expensive than other larger insurance companies.


Is Kin a real insurance company?


Yes, Kin is a real insurance company that specializes in insuring homes in high-risk areas.

Submit Your One Minute Opinion

How do you like Kin Insurance?