Want to save money on your car insurance? Find and compare free custom quotes here.
From the towering peak of Mount Washington to the gorgeous glacial Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire’s natural beauty is truly unrivaled. You’ll want to have the best car insurance to drive to these stunning vistas. Benzinga has researched the best car insurance in New Hampshire to help you prepare for the road ahead. Here are our top picks.
Get an Instant Car Insurance Quote
Tip: compare 2-3 companies for best rate
Best Car Insurance in New Hampshire:
- Farmers: Cheapest
- Plymouth Rock: Best for Multiple Cars
- Travelers: Best Premium Insurance
- USAA: Best for Military Families
- Best Car Insurance in New Hampshire:
- New Hampshire Car Insurance Overview
- New Hampshire Insurance Minimum Explained
- Insurance Rates per Vehicle
- Insurance Rates by Insurance Credit Score
- Insurance for Drivers with a Clean Record
- Insurance with Driving Infractions
- Best Insurance Providers in New Hampshire
- Choose the Right Car Insurance in New Hampshire
- Frequently Asked Questions
New Hampshire Car Insurance Overview
At its core, car insurance rates are based on perceived risk. This means that you’re grouped into a rate segment based on various traits that apply to a group as a whole.
Look at the factors you can influence to help you save money on your car insurance:
- Your insurance credit score: Your credit score is a snapshot of your financial responsibility. Taking steps to raise your credit score can lower your car insurance rates. Your insurance credit is the number the insurance company uses to help determine your insurance rates.
- Your driving record: A clean driving record without charges, including speeding tickets or not wearing your seatbelt, can mean that you pay less for your car insurance.
- The year make and model of your car: The newer your car, the more it costs to insure. Smaller, sportier cars tend to incur higher insurance costs because of the temptation to drive fast or recklessly.
Here are some factors that you cannot control, yet these play a small role in how much you’ll pay for car insurance:
- Your age: Statistics show that teen drivers and senior citizens are higher risks on the road, so if you fall into one of these groups, your insurance will be a bit higher.
- Your gender: Men generally pay an average of 4% more for their insurance than do women.
New Hampshire Insurance Minimum Explained
You may be interested to know that New Hampshire is the only state in the U.S. that doesn’t require drivers to carry car insurance. You’re still responsible for paying for any bodily injury you cause in an accident — it’s vital to have enough insurance in place.
You’ll need to rely on bodily injury coverage when you’re at fault for an accident and other people are injured. Here are the medical coverage minimums recommended by the New Hampshire DMV:
- $25,000 per person: The minimum amount of coverage needed to pay toward the medical costs of each person in the other party if they are injured in an accident.
- $50,000 per accident: The minimum amount paid overall based on an accident that you cause.
- $1,000 in medical payments: The minimum amount to cover your own medical bills in the event of an accident.
Property Damage Liability
Property damage covers the other party’s vehicle if you’re found at fault in an accident. It does not cover your vehicle — that’s covered under collision insurance.
- $25,000 per accident: The total minimum amount of coverage needed to help restore property that is damaged as a result of an accident you cause.
When Does New Hampshire Require Proof of Insurance?
There are some exceptions to the “no insurance needed” rule and certain groups are required to show proof of insurance. These groups include:
- Drivers convicted of driving while intoxicated (DWI)
- Drivers convicted of leaving the scene of an accident or who have a second conviction for reckless driving
- Drivers determined to be at fault for an auto accident and who don’t have insurance
Insurance Rates per Vehicle
You may pay more or less for car insurance depending on the type of vehicle you drive. You’ll pay more for smaller, sportier cars because of their higher horsepower and propensity to be driven faster.
Don’t think that just because you drive a large van or SUV that you’re safe! You’ll pay higher insurance rates for these, too, because of the higher amount of property damage they tend to cause. It’s no surprise that many New Hampshire residents are on the lookout for cheap car insurance.
Insurance Rates by Insurance Credit Score
Your insurance credit score is a derivative of your credit score. The best way to learn how to lower your auto insurance is to take steps to raise your credit score. Here are some of the top car insurance companies in New Hampshire and your rates, depending on credit score:
|Credit Score||Cheapest Provider||Rate for State Minimum Coverage|
Insurance for Drivers with a Clean Record
Another great way to save money on your car insurance is to have a clean driving record, free of infractions or tickets. You’ll save hundreds per month if you have a clean driving record.
|Insurance Agency||State Minimum Insurance||Standard Coverage||Full Coverage|
Insurance with Driving Infractions
The rates you pay for insurance are much higher if you’ve been involved in an at-fault accident or you’ve had a DUI or speeding ticket. Here’s a selection from some of the most popular car insurance companies in New Hampshire.
|Insurance Agency||At-Fault Accident||Speed Violation||DUI|
|The Norfolk & Dedham||$2,023||$1,542||$5,334|
Best Insurance Providers in New Hampshire
As you can see, car insurance costs in New Hampshire vary widely depending on your unique circumstances. We’ve reviewed and rated the best companies to fit a variety of needs and situations. There’s no “best” approach to choosing car insurance — a lot depends on specific needs.
Here are some great options that can get you pointed in the right direction.
1. Cheapest Car Insurance in New Hampshire: Farmers
Farmers consistently beat out or was close to the cheapest option in New Hampshire.
“Cheap” isn’t synonymous with low quality when you choose Farmers.
Farmers offers accident forgiveness, loss of use and even customized equipment coverage for specialized equipment installations like chrome rims or a new stereo system.
2. For Multiple Cars: Plymouth Rock
Plymouth Rock Insurance is widely known across the Northeast for its superior customer service, but it’s also a great option for multiple-car coverage as well.
You can work directly with local agents but you can also get a quote, buy, and manage your insurance policy online.
3. Best Premium Car Insurance: Travelers
Travelers is our pick for premium car insurance because of the high degree of customization and personalization it gives you for your premium vehicle coverage.
Low mileage on your luxury vehicle could even make a significant difference in the premiums you pay.
It’s a smart idea to get a quote for Travelers if you’re looking for luxury car insurance coverage.
- Complete line of insurance, banking, and investment services
- Easy online forms to quote and bind policies
- Top-rated customer satisfaction
- Very few physical locations
- Only available to select groups, generally tied to military service and the relatives of members
4. Best Car Insurance for Military Families: USAA
You might think that USAA only extends insurance to those who are active or former military, but the truth is that spouses can qualify and so can the grown children of parents or even grandparents who were military members.
You’re eligible to enroll if a member of your immediate family served and has USAA insurance — and so will your children when they are old enough to drive and purchase insurance.
Choose the Right Car Insurance in New Hampshire
We’ve got your answer to reliable, affordable car insurance. As you can see, there are multiple insurance companies in New Hampshire that can be an excellent choice for cost-effectiveness and the best coverage for your budget. Get an individual quote to lower your car insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions
I drive for a rideshare company, am I covered by my auto insurance?
A standard auto insurance policy doesn’t provide coverage for business use of your vehicle, including the transport of passengers. Major rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft offer some coverage when you have a passenger in the vehicle, but there can still be troubling gaps in coverage like when you are waiting for a passenger. Many auto insurers now offer a rider that extends your coverage to fill the gaps between your standard policy’s coverage and the rideshare company’s coverage. Compare companies here for the best rideshare coverage.
What is usage-based auto insurance?
Usage-based insurance covers a broad range of situations ranging from devices that monitor driving habits and offer a discount based on safe driving to streamlined policies that provide coverage based on actual use. The former is still more common and many insurers now offer a smart device or mobile app that monitors speed, hard braking events, sudden swerves, miles driven, and the time of day you drive. By demonstrating safe driving habits, you can often earn a sizeable discount.
Does auto insurance cover business use?
The standard auto insurance policy has a ‘business’ use option. However, that usage has rules as to how it can be applied. For those that work for Lyft and Uber (for example), Insurance carriers today have now added a rideshare endorsement that can be applied to the auto policy. While you are on the way to pick up your rider, your insurance carrier extends coverages. Once the rider is in your vehicle, Lyft or Uber picks up the insurance coverage until the rider is dropped off. Get a customized quote now for the best deal.
*Quotes were obtained using the following profile: base 2015 Toyota Camry, male, 40-years-old. Policies reflect state minimum coverage options. We make every effort to provide the most accurate quotes based on the profile above. Due to the many combined variables involved in insurance quotes, the only way to get an accurate quote is to enter your own information through our partners’ secure websites.