Florida is home to some unusual animals and unusual pets, but even the most domesticated pet can wreak havoc on your bank account. If you're looking for the best Florida pet insurance, look no further. We’ve rounded up the best pet insurance options on the market so you can choose the right pet insurance for you and your furry (or scaly) friend.
Quick Look: The Best Pet Insurance in Florida
- Top-Rated Pet Insurance: Lemonade Pet
- Best for Emergencies: Wagmo
- High-Quality Pet Insurance: Spot Pet Insurance
- Best for Variety of Coverage: Pumpkin Pet Insurance
- Best for Dogs: Progressive
Review of The Best Pet Insurance in Florida
We’ve listed the best pet insurance for dogs, cats and the best pet insurance overall. The examples below are based on a 3-year-old male Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dog and an 8-year-old domestic longhair cat with Florida ZIP code 33401.
1. Lemonade Pet
- securely through Lemonade Pet Insurance's websiteBest For:Top-rated pet insurance
Lemonade is currently available in the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District Of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin,
When you use Lemonade homeowners and renters insurance, you might also turn to them to make sure that you can insure your pets. Lemonade is growing by leaps and bounds, and they pass on savings to you to make sure that you can save as much money as possible.
Lemonade is unique in that after it pays your claims and its expenses, it gives any remaining premiums to a charity that you choose when you apply for a policy. You can select charities like the American Red Cross, the Trevor Project, and many pet-centric causes, meaning that your policy has an even greater impact.
While Lemonade pet doesn’t insure exotic animals, it works for most pet owners. You can choose your deductible and yearly maximum to ensure that you get a customized plan that covers:
- Diagnostics, including bloodwork, x-rays, ultrasounds, urinalysis and MRIs
- Procedures, including surgery, hospitalization, specialty and emergency care and outpatient procedures.
- Medications to treat the accident or illness, including injections and prescription medications.
Lemonade also offers two add-on packages. Wellness covers:
- Wellness exams: These are annual check-ups for your very loved one.
- Internal Parasite or Fecal test: These are annual checks to ensure your pets are free of internal parasites.
- Heartworm tests: These tests ensure your pets are free of heartworm.
- Bloodwork: Just like people, pets benefit from having annual bloodwork. It can help detect health issues before symptoms start.
- Vaccines: Lemonade will cover up to three vaccines, including rabies, FVRCP and FeVL.
- Live Medical Chat: You can get online medical advice regarding your pets from the expert team at Lemonade, which can help you save on vet visits.
Extended accident and illness covers:
- Vet visit fees: This helps cover the cost of visiting a vet when you're getting your pet treated for a covered accident or illness, which is something some vets will charge you for. The preventive and wellness coverage helps to pay for annual wellness visits, and those aren't included in this coverage.
- Physical therapy: Sometimes pets need a little extra help to recover. This adds coverage for additional treatments like physical therapy, acupuncture and chiropractic care.
Wagmo is a pet insurance plan that works for both dogs and cats, and while it offers a range of customizable features, its best attributes include:
- Short, 15-day waiting period
- Can cover up to 100% of emergency care
- Robust wellness programs
- All-online service and support
- A massive range of emergency coverages
- A powerful mobile app
- Mobile claims and reimbursement services
When you use Wagmo, you can go on the website right away and enter all the information for your pet, get a quote, customize that quote to suit your monthly budget and/or reach out to the customer service team for more information. Additionally, you can make adjustments to your coverage at any time, add more pets and enjoy a streamlined process that allows you to tend to your furry family members instead of juggling paperwork.
3. SPOT Pet Insurance
SPOT Pet Insurance comes highly recommended by the dog whisperer himself, Cesar Milan. Some insurance highlights:
- Up to 90% reimbursement on eligible vet bills
- No age cap on coverage
- Plans start as low as $1 a day
You can customize your coverage and can even add special SPOT-On coverage. Coverage options include accidents, behavioral issues, dental disease, illnesses, preventive services and even hereditary and congenital conditions.
SPOT’s claims service is easy. Just visit your vet (don’t forget to give your pet a treat on the way out!), send SPOT the bill and get reimbursed.
You'll have your quote in 30 seconds or less.
*Rates vary based on plan type, species, breed, age and location
4. Pumpkin Pet Insurance
- securely through Pumpkin Pet Insurance's websiteBest For:Families with multiple pets
Limitations apply. For terms and conditions, visit pumpkin.care. Pumpkin Insurance Services Inc. (NPN#19084749) (“Pumpkin”) is a licensed insurance agency, not an insurer. Insurance plans underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company. Preventive Essentials is not an insurance policy, and is not available in all states.
Look no further than Pumpkin for one of the best pet insurances on the market. You can get a traditional pet insurance and optional preventive care coverage. All of Pumpkin Pet Insurance’s policies come with a 90% reimbursement rate.
Pumpkin offers policies for both dogs and cats and covers a wide range of situations. Your best bet is to get a sample quote, where you can find exclusions clearly laid out in bullets.
Pumpkin’s customer service team can be reached by:
- Calling 1-866-ARF-MEOW (1‑866‑273‑6369), Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST.
- Emailing email@example.com
Watch out for Pumpkin’s chat feature — coming soon!
- securely through Progressive Pet's websiteBest For:Bundling with other insurance productsRating:
Progressive Pet Insurance by Pets Best offers affordable coverage for pets 7 weeks and older. Progressive doesn’t discriminate based on age but coverage is limited to future medical needs.
For example, if your pet’s already ill, service related to that illness won’t be covered. You can choose from 3 plans, each with increasing coverage. Progressive also offers an annual deductible and 5-day claims processing. You can choose how to pay (monthly, quarterly or annually). You’ll also get a discount if you’re already a Progressive customer.
The accident and illness essential plan covers: accidents or illnesses that result in emergency care, hospitalization and surgeries, Rx medications, MRI, CAT and X-rays, specialist care, outpatient care, medication injections and lab tests.
Plans start at $36 per month per cat and $29 per month per dog.
Highlights: $500 deductible, 90% reimbursement of fees for covered expenses, no annual limit for covered expenses and
you can lower your monthly premium by setting a higher deductible or selecting a lower reimbursement percentage.
Pet Insurance in Florida: An Overview
You only need to stop and look around you to notice an abundance of people with pets. A study by the American Pet Products Association (APPA) found that more than 67% of U.S. households included pets. Here’s a look at some pet stats:
- Number of households with pets: Approximately 3.6 million
- Amount spent on pet bills annually: An average of $1,200 per year
- Average cost of pet insurance per month: $21 for cats and $57 for dogs
What Does Pet Insurance Typically Cover?
Pet insurance usually covers medical costs if your pet suddenly becomes ill or if there’s an accident. Pet insurance is usually for cats and dogs, but some companies offer insurance for other types of pets like birds, rodents and rabbits. Pet insurance is different from your own health insurance because it doesn’t include routine exams and vaccinations.
There are 4 types of pet insurance plans:
- Accident-only plans cover mishaps like injuries from being hit by a car or getting in a catfight.
- Accident and illness plans cover the same mishaps but also cover illnesses such as infections and cancer. It’s the most commonly purchased plan.
- Insurance with embedded wellness plans offer the most complete care. Wellness care is added to accident and illness plans. Wellness care includes things like heartworm medication, dental care, cremation and burial.
- Endorsements, also called riders, include specific additions to insurance like cancer or preventive care.
In the U.S., 98% of insured pets were covered either through an accident plan or insurance with an embedded wellness plan, according to the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA).
Get the Best Pet Insurance in Florida
Pets give so much — unconditional love, stress reduction, longevity and judgment-free companionship. It’s no wonder you’re devoted to them! You want them to live their best life with the best possible care. Pet insurance is one way you can give your pet your best without straining your finances.
The options for insurance are as varied as pets’ personalities. Choose the option that best fits your pet and your pocketbook.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for pet insurance?
Each pet insurance company has different requirements. Review the policy to ensure that your pets will fit into the policy’s parameters.
What are the waiting periods for pet insurance?
The waiting period for pet insurance is generally 14 days.