Individual dental insurance plans help you stay on top of your dental health without spending a fortune. With the right plan you could save several hundred if not thousands on treatments.
If you’ve been searching for a plan that fits your needs and budget, you’re in the right place. Benzinga is here to simplify your search so you can get the coverage you need sooner than later.
Read on to learn more about individual dental insurance, what it covers and how much you can expect to pay. You will also find tips to help you evaluate providers, along with our top picks for individual dental insurance providers.
Quick Look: Best Individual Dental Insurance
Best Individual Dental Insurance
It can be overwhelming to narrow down your list of options. So, we’ve done the legwork for you to help you find the most suitable choice.
1. Delta Dental
If you want a provider with affordable dental plans and an extensive network, consider Delta Dental.
Its plan offerings include:
- DeltaCare® USA: An HMO plan with affordable copays on preventive, basic and major services. There are no deductibles or annual maximums, and you’ll enjoy 0 waiting periods for select services.
- Delta Dental PPO: A PPO or fee-for-service plan with coverage for preventive care, basic and major procedures. It includes a deductible, and you’ll pay coinsurance for non-preventive care. There’s also an annual maximum and you’ll be responsible for any additional fees incurred after it’s met.
You can choose from over 150,000 dentists in 330,000 locations nationwide.
You deserve a dental plan that doesn’t break the bank. But if you’re worried you can’t afford the premiums, think again.
Humana offers DHMO, PPO, value and discount plans that are easy on the wallet. Some feature monthly premiums as low as $11.99 and include free X-rays and cleanings, 0 or low deductibles and no waiting periods for preventive services.
More than 270,000 providers in the Humana network are available nationwide to serve you. Get a quote from Humana today to see how much you can save on dental coverage.
3. Spirit Dental
Don’t spend another day waiting to receive the dental care you desperately need. Spirit Dental offers plans with no waiting periods and coverage begins within 3 days of enrollment.
There are 2 affordable plans to choose from:
- Network Plan: Includes preventive coverage, 3 free cleanings per year, coverage for implants and major services and orthodontic coverage for kids. There’s also a 1-time deductible of $100 and $5,000 annual maximum.
- Choice Plan: Includes everything the network plan offers but you can see a dentist outside of the network. Monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs are higher.
Sound like a good fit? Request a customized quote from Spirit Dental. It’s easy and only takes a minute of your time.
Cigna is a leading provider of individual dental insurance policies with over 17 million subscribers. It’s also a Fortune 500 company with a proven track record of success.
As a policyholder, you’ll have access to an extensive network of 90,000 dentists nationwide. If you need help selecting a provider or with any other plan-related matters, you can contact a member of its customer support team anytime time, day or night.
DentalPlans.com is another excellent way to save a bundle on dental care. You can sign up for a dental savings plan and enjoy discounts of up to 60% on services.
There are no waiting periods and you won’t be turned away for preexisting conditions.
Here’s how it works:
- Visit the website and take a look at its savings plans. You will find options from Aetna, Cigna, Delta Dental, Humana and a host of other leading dental providers.
- Compare plans and purchase the best option for you.
- Peruse the provider network of over 100,000 dentists and make a selection.
- Call the provider to make an appointment.
- Get treated.
No need to worry about filing a claim to get reimbursed. The discounts are applied at the time of service and you’ll pay the bill before leaving the dental office.
What is Individual Dental Insurance?
Individual dental insurance covers treatment costs for the primary policyholder.
Many employers offer individual dental insurance plans. But if you don’t receive benefits at work or are self-employed, you can purchase a private plan.
You can select a plan through your employer during the open enrollment period unless you qualify for a special enrollment period. Options are limited to the plans offered by the provider your employer is contracted with. Additionally, you won’t have to pay the provider directly; your employer pays a substantial portion of the monthly premiums and the remainder is automatically deducted from your paycheck.
Private dental plans or individuals are available for purchase at any time. You’ll also have the luxury of choosing a provider with plans that best suits your needs. Premiums are paid monthly.
Types of Dental Coverage
Individual insurance plans cover preventive care, basic procedures and major procedures. Most providers follow a tiered model to determine the level of coverage:
- Preventive care: Includes checkups, cleanings, diagnostic services, oral exams and X-rays. These services are covered at 100%.
- Basic procedures: Includes extractions, fillings, periodontal work and select services deemed medically necessary. These services are covered at 80%.
- Major procedures: Includes bridges, crowns, dentures, emergency surgeries, implants and root canals. These services are covered at 50%.
Keep in mind that coverage levels vary by provider. Read the plan descriptions to clarify before you enroll.
Average Cost of Individual Dental Insurance
The average cost of individual dental insurance premiums is between $15 and $50 per month. But the premiums aren’t all you have to worry about.
Other out-of-pocket costs to be mindful of:
- Copayments: Flat-fee you pay for treatment
- Coinsurance: Percentage of treatment costs you’re responsible for paying out of pocket
- Deductible: Flat-rate fee you’ll pay out of pocket before your insurance plan kicks in to pay for treatment that doesn’t fall under the preventive care umbrella
What to Look for in an Individual Dental Insurance Provider
You want a dental insurance provider that meets the following criteria:
The provider should offer affordable dental insurance plans that don’t make you cringe at the premiums.
Affordable Out-of-Pocket Costs
Low premiums are equally as important as affordable out-of-pocket costs. These numbers add up, and you want to have the ability to receive care when you need it without worrying about if you overextend your budget.
Flexible Plan Options
Does the provider offer an array of plans in your area? Are they rigid or flexible? The best dental insurance providers feature plans for every lifestyle and budget.
Large Provider Network
You’re spending your hard-earned money for coverage, so you have the right to choose a dentist that works for you. That’s why it’s important to consider dental insurance companies with large provider networks.
Dental plans with loads of exclusions may seem more affordable. But the issue is you’ll end up paying a bundle to receive the treatment you need.
Minimal Waiting Periods
Avoid dental plans with waiting periods if you have pressing needs that should be addressed soon. Otherwise, you’ll have to wait sometimes for up to 1 year for coverage to kick in.
Get Individual Dental Insurance Today
You don’t have to spend a fortune to get the dental care you need. Consider an individual plan from one of our recommended providers.
Start by retrieving quotes to see what they have to offer. It’s fast, easy and you can compare your options and find the best plan in minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is individual dental insurance the same as group insurance?
No. Individual dental insurance differs from group insurance because group rates tend to be more competitive.
Should you purchase individual dental and vision insurance?
You can purchase these policies together because they are often sold together, and you do not want to neglect your dental health or vision.
Dental Insurance Methodology
To determine the best dental insurance providers, we pored through all United States carriers. We winnowed the list by only including companies that have a wide coverage area and product offering. To further break down the list to the true best dental insurance providers, we gave weight to carriers that offer discounts, are available in all states and have multiple payment plan options.
Dental Plans Promo
Get 10% off any dental savings plan at DentalPlans.com. You can reduce your dental care costs by saving 10-60% off at the dentist!