1 Minute Review
Unlike most motorcycle insurance companies, USAA only offers policies to veterans, members of the United States’ armed forces and close relatives of those who have served. If you qualify for a USAA policy, you’ll find a unique mixture of value and comprehensive coverage options.
USAA offers motorcycle insurance in every 50 states and all policies include free roadside assistance coverage. USAA also offers a convenient mobile app that offers a 1-stop-shop for USAA’s insurance and banking services.
- Current USAA members
- Servicemembers who already have a home or auto insurance policy through USAA
- Riders who value roadside assistance
- Wide range of policy options
- Availability throughout the U.S.
- Easy-to-use mobile app with advanced features
- Affordable policies
- Free roadside assistance included on all policies
- Only available to servicemembers, veterans and family members of those who have served
- Can’t claim a free quote online unless you qualify for USAA benefits
Table of Contents [Hide]
USAA offers a range of policy types and protection for your motorcycle. Let’s take a look at the types of motorcycle insurance you can sign up for through USAA.
- Bodily injury liability insurance: Bodily injury liability insurance compensates anyone who you injure during a collision and helps them pay for medical expenses. While bodily injury liability insurance will not help you pay for your own medical bills, it’s required in almost every state to legally stay on the road.
- Property damage liability insurance: Property damage liability insurance compensates another driver or property owner for damage caused by you to their property in a collision. For example, if you collide with another car while driving, your property damage liability coverage will help the other driver pay for damage to his or her vehicle. Like bodily injury liability insurance, this coverage is not optional in most states.
- Collision insurance: Collision insurance helps you pay for the cost of repair to your own vehicle if you’re involved in an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance: This insurance protects your vehicle against damage that occurs outside of a collision. For example, if your motorcycle is stolen or damaged during a fire, comprehensive coverage would help you pay for repairs or compensate you for the value of your vehicle.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist protection: Not everyone on the road operates their vehicle with your state’s minimum insurance. Uninsured motorist protection compensates you if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance. Underinsured motorist protection helps bridge the gap between the other driver’s insurance payout and the actual cost to repair your vehicle if you collide with someone who has inadequate insurance.
- Medical payments coverage: This coverage compensates you and your passengers for medical bills not covered by your health insurance after an accident. You’ll enjoy this protection no matter who is at fault for the accident.
Every policy from USAA includes free 24-hour roadside assistance services. This is unique protection that most competing insurance providers offer as a paid add-on.
USAA offers motorcycle insurance for the following types of vehicles:
- Dirt bike
- Sport bike
Motorcycle insurance from USAA is available in all 50 states. This can make USAA an especially appealing choice for riders in states like Alaska and Hawaii, which are often excluded from coverage from competitors.
Riders who choose a USAA motorcycle insurance policy to protect their ride have access to a range of discounts. Let’s take a look at a few of the currently available discounts you can claim when you get your motorcycle insurance through USAA.
- Safety course discount: If you’ve completed a motorcycle training or safety course, you may qualify for a discount on your insurance through USAA.
- Multiple motorcycle discount: Need to insure more than 1 bike? Save on all of your policies by insuring them all through USAA on a single, convenient policy.
- Claims-free discount: If you remain claims-free, you can claim a discount when you renew your policy through USAA for the next year.
Additional discounts may also be available for high school and college students, riders who have an anti-theft device installed on their bike and riders who store their bikes in a controlled facility on a seasonal basis.
The average price for a 1-year motorcycle insurance policy from USAA is $478. This is on the lower end of estimates that we received from competitors.
Let’s take a look at an example of what you might expect to pay for a 1-year motorcycle insurance policy with USAA versus a few of the country’s most popular insurance providers.
|Company||Average quote for a 1-year motorcycle insurance policy|
The specific price that you’ll pay for your motorcycle insurance from USAA will vary based on a range of factors, including:
- Riding location: If you ride in an area with a rougher terrain or where an accident is statistically more likely to occur, you’ll likely pay more for your coverage.
- Age and experience level of all riders on your policy: The more years of experience you have riding a motorcycle, the less likely you are to be involved in an accident and need to use your insurance. This means that more experienced riders get access to the best rates.
- History of traffic violations: If you’ve gotten a ticket before, you may be more likely to violate traffic laws in the future. This means that you may pay more for coverage if you have 1 or more violations on your driving record.
- Credit and insurance scores: In most states, your insurance score and credit score play a role in your insurance premiums. Riders with a higher credit score are less likely to use their insurance or commit insurance fraud, so they pay less for their coverage. USAA excludes this criterion in states where using this is against the law.
- Claims history: Riders who have filed an insurance claim in the past will typically pay more for their insurance coverage.
To get in contact with USAA’s customer service team, call 210-531-8722. USAA also offers a virtual chatbot to answer some of the company’s most common questions 24/7.
To file a claim with USAA, visit the company’s website and click on the “Report a Claim” icon. From here, a helpful, easy-to-understand chatbot will guide you through the steps and information needed to submit your claim.
After your claim has been submitted, a USAA representative will contact you with more details. You can also file a claim through the USAA mobile app.
USAA’s mobile app is impressive and includes a number of useful and unique features. Some of the benefits you’ll be able to access through your mobile device include:
- Enhanced security features: Most mobile insurance apps allow you to protect your information with a password. However, USAA goes beyond this feature, offering voice recognition protection and face or fingerprint scanning. These features offer an enhanced level of security for your personal and financial data.
- In-app assistance: Do you have a question about your insurance policy, what’s covered or how you can submit a claim? USAA’s in-app assistant allows you to type or say a question before being linked with a representative.
- Easy claims reporting: If you’ve been involved in an accident, you can immediately file your claim through the USAA mobile app. You’ll be guided through the claims process and enjoy a quicker response than waiting until you get home to file your claim.
- Roadside assistance: If you need to use USAA’s free roadside assistance feature, you can request help directly through the app — no matter where you are.
- Other USAA services: The USAA app is all-inclusive and offers you a one-stop-shop for all of your USAA insurance policies and accounts. Access your bank account, schedule payments, request a new auto ID card, pay bills, learn more about selling your car and much more through a single app.
The USAA app is currently available as a free download for both Apple and Android devices.
Although not everyone will qualify for a motorcycle insurance policy through USAA, the servicemember-forward insurer offers an exceptional mix of value and policy features. With free roadside assistance, insurance for almost any type of motorcycle and availability in all 50 states,
USAA is an excellent choice for most riders. USAA’s mobile app is equally as impressive, offering convenient features for USAA members. Though USAA could do a bit more to improve its customer service offerings, policies are as affordable as they are useful.