Unlike most motorcycle insurance companies, USAA only offers policies to veterans, members of the United States’ armed forces and close relatives of those who have served. If you qualify for a USAA policy, you’ll find a unique mixture of value and comprehensive coverage options.
USAA offers motorcycle insurance in every 50 states and all policies include free roadside assistance coverage. USAA also offers a convenient mobile app that offers a 1-stop-shop for USAA’s insurance and banking services.
- Current USAA members
- Servicemembers who already have a home or auto insurance policy through USAA
- Riders who value roadside assistance
- Wide range of policy options
- Availability throughout the U.S.
- Easy-to-use mobile app with advanced features
- Affordable policies
- Free roadside assistance included on all policies
- Only available to servicemembers, veterans and family members of those who have served
- Can’t claim a free quote online unless you qualify for USAA benefits
USAA Motorcycle Ratings at a Glance
USAA offers a range of policy types and protection for your motorcycle. Let’s take a look at the types of motorcycle insurance you can sign up for through USAA.
- Bodily injury liability: This mandatory coverage can help pay for a 3rd party’s medical expenses if you are at fault for an accident that sends someone to the hospital. Note that this protection does not cover your medical expenses in an accident.
- Property damage liability insurance: If you are at fault in an accident, this policy can help pay for the injured party’s damaged property, vehicle repairs and legal fees. This protection is also part of your mandatory motorcycle coverage. Like bodily injury liability insurance, this coverage is not optional in most states.
- Collision insurance: Collision insurance helps you pay for the cost of repair to your own vehicle if you’re involved in an accident.
- Comprehensive and collision coverage: Collision coverage can pay for damages to your motorcycle for a covered event. If damage occurs to your motorcycle off-road, comprehensive coverage can help reimburse you for your losses.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: After having an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, this protection can help cover costs not protected by the other driver’s insurance.
- Medical payment coverage: In an accident, this protection can help pay for medical bills for yourself and your passengers that your health insurance does not cover.
Every policy from USAA includes free 24-hour roadside assistance services. This is unique protection that most competing insurance providers offer as a paid add-on.
USAA offers motorcycle insurance for the following types of vehicles:
- Dirt bike
- Sport bike
Motorcycle insurance from USAA is available in all 50 states. This can make USAA an especially appealing choice for riders in states like Alaska and Hawaii, which are often excluded from coverage from competitors.
You can reach the USAA customer service team by calling 800-531-USAA (8722). Answers to general questions are available through virtual chatbot tool on the USAA website.
The average annual cost for motorcycle insurance in the US is $741 per year in 2022, and USAA generally comes in under that number.
Several different factors contribute to the exact cost of your insurance, such as:
- Driver’s age and experience: Drivers with the most driving experience typically receive lower rates than new drivers.
- Accident and claims history: A history of traffic violations could increase your motorcycle insurance rates.
- Location: Insurers consider the unique hazards of your ZIP code and driving zone.
- Motorcycle’s make and model: The safety of your motorcycle’s make and model, additional safety features and anti-theft devices can impact the cost.
- Driving frequency: How often you drive your motorcycle can increase or decrease the chances of an accident.
- Credit score: In some states, USAA may check your credit score.
- Eligibility for discounts: You may qualify for 1 or more discounts available to USAA members.
Each state has unique minimum coverage requirements for bodily injury and property damage liability, thus affecting the price.
The USAA mobile app offers a wide range of services for policyholders’ convenience and serves as one reason that makes USAA the best motorcycle insurance for military members. Some of the features include:
- Enhanced security: Use the app’s fingerprint scanner or face recognition capabilities to securely sign into your account.
- Ask the digital assistant: The app has a digital voice assistant to answer your questions 24/7.
- Report a claim: You can file an accident and claim using the app’s quick and responsive reporting services.
- Pay a bill: Make an insurance payment and view billing information through the USAA app directly.
- Call roadside assistance: Access the USAA’s included roadside assistance anytime and anywhere through the app.
- Other services: If you have an account with USAA for other services, you can also complete your banking errands on the app.
You can download the USAA app on Android and iOS devices for free.
One benefit of USAA motorcycle insurance is the option to extend coverage to other vehicles like motorbikes, scooters, ATVs and mopeds. Below are other benefits policyholders have experienced:
- Competitive rates for military members
- Rebates when the company makes excess profits
- 24/7 customer service and claims
- Coverage for other recreational vehicles
- Monthly and annual payment systems
- Many options for discounts
- Integrated services
If you have motorcycle insurance through USAA, you can benefit from access to integrated investment, banking and financial services.
The USAA received outstanding ratings from AM Best Co., Moody’s and S&P but lower ratings from customers on Trustpilot and the Better Business Bureau. A mixture of positive and negative feedback gives the company middle-of-the-range scores for its user experience.
Positive experiences listed include personalized coverage options, simple claims handling and the ability to plan for life events as primary benefits of USAA. By helping customers set and achieve financial milestones, USAA enhances its value proposition significantly.
USAA Motorcycle Insurance Versus Competitors
Compared to competitors, USAA offers the best motorcycle insurance for active military members, veterans and eligible family members.
In addition to uninsured motorist coverage and roadside assistance, USAA Motorcycle Insurance is also more affordable than competitor offerings. If you are a safe driver, you could be eligible for a $0 deductible. The low cost and comprehensive protection make USAA’s motorcycle insurance exceptionally attractive compared to other carriers.
Overall, USAA has the best motorcycle insurance for qualifying individuals. Members receive the ideal combination of value for the price with comprehensive benefits to protect your motorcycle on and off the road.
USAA is the best option for affordable, convenient and extensive Motorcycle Insurance coverage for most eligible drivers. Despite mixed customer service ratings, USAA’s policies surpass the competition in quality and affordability.
I got a quote for motorcycle insurance through USAA (partnered with Progressive) and it costs TWICE as much (monthly or yearly payments) than if I go through Progressive only!
Submit Your One Minute Opinion
Money-saving Motorcycle Insurance
Harley-Davidson Insurance Services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. The company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. You’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.