Want to jump straight to the answer? Most people prefer to insure their bike or motorcycle with Harley-Davidson Insurance Services.
Not all motorcycle insurance is created equal. You were careful to select your motorcycle — be equally careful when looking for insurance to cover it and to protect yourself. Rates that insurers offer do vary and are based on a number of factors: the price tag of your bike, the coverages you’ve chosen and even where you live.
Insurers also consider other factors that can affect your premium as well as the outcome of a claim. You can expect a wide range of prices depending on some risk factors. It’s smart to do a little research and compare 2-3 companies for the best rate for you.
Get an Instant Motorcycle Insurance Quote
Tip: compare 2-3 companies for best rate
Best Motorcycle Insurance:
- Best Motorcycle Insurance: Dairyland
- Cheapest Motorcycle Insurance: Progressive
- Best Customer Service: Harley-Davidson Insurance
- Best Motorcycle Insurance:
- Factors that Impact Motorcycle Rates
- Full Coverage Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- State Minimum Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Best & Cheapest Motorcycle Insurance Providers
Factors that Impact Motorcycle Rates
The kind of driver you are, where you live and how much coverage you want play a big part in your motorcycle premiums. An experienced rider in the country with a clean driving record could pay around $400 per year on motorcycle insurance. But, if you’re in a more populated area with a not-so-perfect driving record, the insurance cost for your motorcycle can easily be more than double that.
Know these factors that affect your insurance costs when comparing rates:
- Coverage limits: If you choose greater coverage — higher medical and liability limits — your potential claim payout is higher. Expect rates to increase with higher coverage limits; it costs more to protect more.
- Experience and age: Younger and newer drivers tend to pay higher rates. In some cases, some companies won’t insure new drivers because of the risk they incur: statistics show an increased amount of accidents and claims reported.
- Type of motorcycle: Your bike’s make and model is a factor — a more expensive bike costs more to insure. Parts repair and replacement are considerations. Insurers look at the average cost of a claim of bike types when they consider their rates. The bike’s age and even the size of the engine can make a difference — bigger engines often lead to higher premiums.
- Location: More densely populated areas tend to have higher rates, as do areas with higher vehicle theft cases. Also, you’ll find some states are more expensive than others, but recent legislation has regulated pricing and reduced limits.
- Driving and claims history: Careful driving and a clean record pay off with lower insurance rates. Insurers look at your driving history, including violations and accidents. Prior claims — including auto claims — can affect your insurance rates as well.
- Credit score: Insurers commonly use your credit score as a rating factor when setting a policy premium. In some cases, an “insurance score” is used, which evaluates both credit and claim history.
- Deductibles: The deductible is the portion of the claim that you pay. Choosing a higher deductible means you assume more of the risk and that the insurer pays out less in a claim. Rates tend to be lower when you choose a higher deductible, but not always. Ask how much of a difference the deductible makes for your premium.
- Loyalty or multi-policy discounts: You can reduce your cost by bundling auto and motorcycle insurance. Discounts are often available for long-time customers and bike club members as well. Be sure to ask your agent which discounts you can earn.
Full Coverage Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
|Company||States Offered||12-month Policy Quote|
|Esurance||Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Montana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin||$762|
|Harley- Davidson Insurance||All except Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, D.C.||$1,249|
|Markel||All except Massachusetts and North Carolina||$1,378|
|Rider||Delaware, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia||$1,813|
State Minimum Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
|Company||States Offered||12-month Policy Quote|
|Esurance||Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida,|
Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota,
Montana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee,
Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin
|Harley-Davidson Insurance||All except Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, D.C.||$1,062|
|Markel||All except Massachusetts and North Carolina||$978|
|Rider||Delaware, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, |
New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia
Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
|Company||Discounts Offered||Overall Rating|
|AAA||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Claims-free, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|Allstate||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Riding group, Claims-free, Rider experience, Anti-lock brake, Safety course||5.0|
|American Modern||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Claims-free, Safety course||4.0|
|Ameriprise||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Claims-free, Smart rider, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.0|
|Amica||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft||4.0|
|Auto-Owners||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.0|
|Farmers||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Riding group, Anti-lock brake||4.3|
|Foremost||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Riding group, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|GEICO||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Rider experience, Anti-theft, Safety course||5.0|
|Harley- Davidson Insurance||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Riding group, Claims-free, Rider experience, Anti-theft, Safety course, Motorcycle license||3.7|
|Liberty Mutual||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Riding group, Rider experience, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|Markel||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Claims-free, Rider experience, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.0|
|MetLife||Multiple bike, Claims-free, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|National General||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Claims-free||4.7|
|Nationwide||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Riding group, Anti-lock brake, Safety course||4.7|
|Progressive||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Claims-free, Anti-lock brake, Safety course, Motorcycle license||4.3|
|Rider Insurance||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Military, Riding group, Claims-free, Rider experience, Smart rider, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course, Motorcycle license||3.0|
|Safeco||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Homeowner, Riding group, Claims-free, Rider experience, Anti-lock brake, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.3|
|State Farm||Multiple bike, Homeowner, Claims-free, Anti-theft, Safety course||4.7|
|USAA||Multiple bike, Loyalty, Military, Claims-free, Safety course||5.0|
Best & Cheapest Motorcycle Insurance Providers
After a comprehensive analysis of dozens of insurance policies, here are our 3 best and cheapest motorcycle insurance picks in the nation.
Get Quote Online
- Exceptionally affordable insurance options; very low quote for a 1-year policy
- Wide range of policies and add-on protections available
- Easy, guided claims process assisted by a representative
- Simple mobile app that allows you to track your claims and benefits
- High number of positive customer reviews
- Not currently available in all states
- Fewer discounts available than some competitors
1. Dairyland Motorcycle Insurance
Dairyland came in No. 1 with the cheapest motorcycle insurance quote. It has several coverage options and discounts offered in 34 states. On top of the traditional options included, you can add trip protection, roadside assistance, rental coverage and total loss replacement. Discounts include:
- Riding group
- Safety course
Dairyland is available in the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
Use the online quote tool to get your personalized quote online.
- More welcoming to less-experienced drivers
- Great website and mobile app functionality
- Driving based discounts can be generous
- Relatively smaller agent network may leave some without a local agent
- Rates can increase at renewal based on driving data from Progressive’s Snapshot.
Progressive offers its customers 24/7 customer service and claims and a mobile app so customers can file claims or look up their policy with ease. It offers custom parts coverage, total loss replacement and roadside assistance to its standard coverage. Discounts include:
Get a Progressive quote in just a few minutes by filling out its convenient, online quote tool. Compare rates and save.
3. Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Insurance
Harley-Davidson knows motorcycles. Insuring one comes with trusting a company to have your back if an accident ever happens. Harley-Davidson’s insurance provides outstanding customer service and personalized experience for every customer. It offers a ton of discounts and its claims process is highly rated.
You may find its prices may seem higher than average but you’ll be covered for everything in the event of a loss. This also comes with perks like Harley-Davidson genuine motor parts and accident forgiveness.
*Metrics used for quote: 2017 Harley-Davidson FLHTK, 35-year-old male, discounts applied. Policies reflect state minimum coverage and full coverage options. We make every effort to provide the most accurate quotes based on the profile above. Due to the many combined variables involved in insurance quotes, the only way to get an accurate quote is to enter your own information through our partners’ secure websites.
Money-saving Motorcycle Insurance
Harley-Davidson Insurance Services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. The company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. You’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.