Looking for the best health insurance option that’s available to you? If you have a gap in coverage, you may want to consider a short-term health insurance plan. Here’s what you need to know about finding the best short-term health insurance in Texas.
Quick Look: The Best Texas Short Term Health Insurance
Table of Contents [Show]
- What is Short Term Health Insurance?
- Texas Short Term Health Insurance Law
- Who is Texas Short Term Health Insurance Best For?
- Who Needs Short Term Health Insurance?
- What to Know About Texas Short Term Health Plans
- When Can You Enroll in Texas Short-Term Health Insurance?
- Where Can You Enroll in Texas Short Term Health Insurance?
- Short Term Health Insurance Provider Reviews
- Get Short Term Coverage in the Longhorn State
- Frequently Asked Questions
United Healthcare is well known for its comprehensive health insurance plans across the nation. It offers the same level of dedication and flexibility to short term health insurance plans.
In Texas, the company offers Enhanced Short Term Medical plans. This is an affordable option for short term coverage, but with added benefits not typically found in gap insurance plans like these.
- Coverage options for up-to-36-months total
- May cover some pre-existing conditions after a certain duration of time
- Wide range of coverage options
United Healthcare offers 4 different short term insurance plans which can cover urgent care copays, but only the Copay/Direct plan covers doctor office visits. Several plans also cover prescription drugs. Looking for short term health insurance with cheaper premiums? Be sure to check out United Healthcare’s Value/Direct plan.
AM Best Rating: A
UnitedHealthcare is an insurance company that is dedicated to making the health care system work better for everyone. Its plans can serve customers of all ages, starting in childhood and continuing all the way through the retirement years. The company partners with more than 1.3 million health care professionals and over 6,500 hospitals to give customers the freedom to access healthcare wherever they are. This insurance provider has a strong financial standing and good ratings, making it a reliable option for just about anybody.
- People who want flexibility in their health care coverage
- People who want supplemental insurance coverage
- People who qualify for both Medicare and Medicaid
- Offers a wide variety of plans
- Strong financial and customer service ratings
- ACA and non ACA plans available
- Not all plans ACA-compliant
- The website can make it difficult to get a quote
2. Pivot Health
If you’re looking for the quickest route to the most affordable temporary health insurance plans available in your area, Pivot Health is a solid choice.
Pivot Health makes enrolling in a short-term policy a streamlined process. When you’re ready to enroll, you can respond to the bot on Pivot Health’s website and receive guidance through the enrollment process. For more personalized assistance, the bot can also connect you with a live agent.
The Pivot Health user experience is seamless, letting you compare quotes from multiple providers with just a few clicks. You can apply and enroll in less than 5 minutes.
Pivot Health stands out because it does not have a network of doctors that you must stay within for your visits to be covered. This provider offers a variety of affordable options that can be customized by adding discounts for things like prescriptions and physical therapy visits. When getting an online quote, Pivot Health even selects three coverage options that it recommends based on your age and location. This makes comparing and selecting your plan easy, but, you can also review other plan options as well before you make your decision.
They work with trusted temporary health insurance providers in 35+ states. In addition to short term health plans, you can find supplemental insurance products and more using Pivot Health. Just enter your zip code and compare quotes for plans available in your area using Pivot Health.
AM Best Rating: A+
Pivot Health is your partner in big life changes that may require you to seek temporary health insurance.
Pivot Health can help you find short term health plans, supplemental insurance products and more. Compare plans from multiple providers and get insurance that fits your needs today.
- Comparing short term health plans from multiple providers
- Work with the most trusted short term health plan providers
- No network restrictions
- Telemedicine coverage
- Plans not available in every state
3. Everest Prime
Everest Prime is a great option for people who want short term health insurance coverage for major injuries or hospitalizations but also want doctor visits covered as well.
This is particularly important if you’re managing a chronic condition. Everest Prime offers plans with coverage period maximums of $750,000 and $1,000,000 as well as doctor visits for $40 and a variety of coinsurance options including 100/0, 70/30 and 80/20.
Deductibles are affordable, too, and include $1,000, $2,500 or $5,000 amounts. They can give you a solid selection of plans at great rates.
Everest offers flexibility in terms of your coverage amounts and payment options, making it one of the most affordable short-term health insurance providers. You can choose the deductible, co-pay/co-insurance and coverage period maximums that fit your needs. You’ll also be able to choose whether you’d like to pre-pay or pay for your coverage monthly.
Its short-term health insurance plans offer physical therapy, mental health and wellness benefits, among others. You aren’t confined to a network for these coverages, either. That being said, there are some coverages missing from Everest’s offerings. The provider does not cover pre-existing conditions, and only covers prescriptions if you’re hospitalized for a covered illness or injury.
AM Best Rating: A+
A reinsurance and insurance company available worldwide, Everest provides short term health insurance for anyone between regular coverage. Their short term medical coverage includes routine and emergency care, prescription coverage and flexible terms and waiting periods.
- Anybody who missed the ACA enrollment deadline
- People between jobs
- Ineligible or can’t afford COBRA
- Young people not on parental health insurance
- Affordable plans
- Temporary coverage available
- Customizable plan features
- No mobile app
4. National General
National General offers short term health insurance in Texas with customizable plans to fit your needs. You can mix and match different options and do it all online. You can also get one-on-one help with agents through the website at any time.
This type of customization is rare among short term insurance plans, so if you want to be able to control your costs and still enjoy a variety of coverage options, it’s worth getting a quote online to fit your needs.
As with all short term health insurance providers, National General advises that you carefully review plans before you choose temporary coverage. It’s important to know the limitations and exclusions that come with this type of policy.
AM Best Rating: A+
Get next day short term health insurance coverage from National General Health Insurance. Licensed agents are waiting to help you find the right coverage today.
- Families and individual plans
- Anybody who needs temporary health insurance
- Licensed agents available for help
- Telemedicine available
- Flexible policy terms
- Short term health plans offer limited benefits
5. Sidecar Health Access Plan
When you use the Sidecar Health Access Plan, you choose the level of coverage you need, wait for your Sidecar Health card to arrive and use that card to help pay for medical services. There is no set network, and there are no referrals needed for care.
You can get a quote in mere moments, use the plan for as long as you need and cancel your plan at any time. Sidecar also offers a 24/7 support line that helps you gather more information about your healthcare and/or current conditions. The simplicity of the plan helps you control costs and cover yourself for any length of time.
AM Best Rating: A
Sidecar Health Access Plan is another approach to traditional health insurance. Instead of your health care providers billing your insurance, you pay upfront using the Sidecar Health payment card. This results in savings of up to 40% on healthcare costs for its customers.
Established in 2018, Sidecar Health Access Plan is based in El Segundo, California. Its plan options are easy-to-understand and allow you to shop upfront for affordable health care rather than receiving care and finding out what it costs later.
Learn more about Sidecar Health Access Plan and how it works.
Prefer to talk to an agent on the phone? Call 866-794-1192 to speak to a representative now.
- People who are younger than age 65
- People in relatively good health
- People who want to shop for affordable doctors, specialists or procedures
- People who want transparency in healthcare costs
- You can customize your plan
- It may reduce healthcare costs by as much as 40%
- It has a mobile app to access information on-the-go
- No provider network, so you can see any doctor with no referrals needed
- No enrollment period
- Plans are not compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Plans have an annual coverage limit
- Short-term health insurance provides temporary coverage that is designed to be used when you’re in between jobs or have another reason to have a lapse in health insurance coverage.
- Short-term plans don’t meet the federal requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
- You can enroll in short-term coverage at any time of year, though there may be a waiting period required by your provider before coverage can begin.
- It’s important to review what each plan offers before you purchase a short-term health insurance plan. Most don’t cover pre-existing conditions, and the coverage can vary widely depending on the provider and plan you choose.
What is Short Term Health Insurance?
Short-term health insurance is a temporary coverage option that you can use when you have a lapse in permanent coverage. To qualify, you have to meet certain eligibility requirements, such as losing your health insurance due to a change in employment or attending college out-of-state.
Texas Short Term Health Insurance Law
Texas adheres to the federal rules regarding short-term health insurance plans. A short-term health insurance plan can have initial terms of up to 364 days and can be renewed after the initial term expires. Short-term health insurance plans can be renewed up until a total duration of 36 months. However, insurers are not required to offer renewals, so renewals are not guaranteed.
Who is Texas Short Term Health Insurance Best For?
- People who have lost their employer-sponsored coverage due to a change in employment.
- People who have recently started a new job but aren’t eligible to enroll in an employer-sponsored health insurance plan yet due to the job’s waiting period.
- People who missed the opportunity to enroll in a permanent health insurance plan during open enrollment.
- Retirees who need coverage temporarily until they qualify for Medicare.
Who Needs Short Term Health Insurance?
First, we’ve put together a quick overview of Texas health insurance facts. Here’s a quick overview:
- There are 4.8 million people uninsured in Texas — it’s the largest number of uninsured people in the country.
- Individuals between the ages of 18 – 64 are the most likely to be uninsured.
- Texas is the 6th least-expensive state for personal health spending, with a per capita average of $5,924.
Short term health insurance is designed to act as a bridge while you’re between plans. It’s worth noting that if you’re searching for short term health insurance in Texas, you may be ineligible for coverage from guaranteed-issue health plans. For example, if you’ve turned 26 and you’re considering COBRA or a short term health insurance plan, you’ll need to choose. You can have one or the other, but not both. The same applies to HIPAA plans.
COBRA plans are health insurance plans that allow employees (and their dependents) continued access to health insurance coverage in the event that the employee’s work hours are reduced (thus making them ineligible for insurance) or they lose their job. HIPAA plans are what are known as creditable coverage. Most traditional insurance plans fall into this category, including group, individual, Medicaid and Medicare plans. In other words, if you have COBRA or a traditional long-term insurance plan, you can’t have a short term insurance plan at the same time.
What to Know About Texas Short Term Health Plans
Short term health insurance in Texas doesn’t cover preexisting conditions and it doesn’t offer the minimum coverage required by law for plans that fall under the Affordable Care Act. However, if you need cheap insurance that helps ease the burden of the high costs of a hospital stay or emergency surgery, short term insurance can fill that gap.
It doesn’t offer complete coverage as more traditional insurance plans but it’s naturally more affordable. If you need proof of insurance quickly, short term insurance can provide you with that peace of mind. It doesn’t provide you with the bells and whistles of other plans, like covering preventive care (although some plans may) or offer extras like dental and vision. We’ve provided you with a wide range of options and you may be able to choose to add on these extra types of coverage at a higher cost.
When Can You Enroll in Texas Short-Term Health Insurance?
Unlike Medicare or ACA plans, which have a set timeframe for enrollment, there is no enrollment time period for short term insurance plans. This means that you can buy a plan at any time.
It’s important to note that in Texas, you can only have a short term plan for 364 days or less. You can renew your plan for a total timeframe of 36 months. There are also state-mandated benefits that apply to all short term insurance plans sold in the state of Texas.
Where Can You Enroll in Texas Short Term Health Insurance?
There’s no shortage of companies that offer reliable, affordable health insurance options in Texas. The best health insurance companies calculate rates using their own specific formula. It’s a good idea to get quotes from the companies we’ve profiled. All companies offer a free online quote customized to your specific needs.
Short Term Health Insurance Provider Reviews
You’ll find a good balance of features and affordable rates for short term insurance coverage. We recommend getting a quote from each company to weigh your options and choose the best balance of coverage and cost.
Get Short Term Coverage in the Longhorn State
You need a Texas short term health insurance company you can trust. We recommend getting a quote from each of the 5 companies profiled here so you can weigh your options and get customized pricing and flexible coverage that fits your needs. The quote process can be started online by answering a few questions. Check out your options and get the best short term health insurance for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do short-term plans meet the federal requirements of the Affordable Care Act?
No, short-term plans don’t offer the minimum essential coverage that is required by the Affordable Care Act.
Can entire families enroll in a short-term policy?
Yes, spouses and children can be added to a plan as long as they meet the medical requirements of the plan.