Like car insurance, you need to have motorcycle insurance to ride on the road legally. Though most motorcyclists only ride their bikes seasonally, traditional insurance providers charge the same monthly premium throughout the year. VOOM is a new name in the insurance industry that bills you based on the time you actually ride.
With VOOM, you won’t need to install invasive tracking software on your bike — simply send a photo of your odometer each month, and VOOM will calculate your rate. This can help seasonal or hobby riders save on their insurance, as VOOM offers coverage for as little as $5 a month.
Though the insurance provider currently only offers policies in 4 states, VOOM can provide a viable option for casual motorcyclists as it continues to grow.
- Low mileage riders (less than 2,500 / year)
- Infrequent riders, weekend riders
- Riders who have to store their bike seasonally
- Riders with multiple motorcycles
- Low milage riders could save up to 60% by switching to Pay Per Mile
- No extra hardware or tracking devices necessary
- Super easy odometer tracking - just snap a photo, send in and you’re good to go
- Quotes in less than 2 minutes
- Currently available in Arizona, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana and Wisconsin (more states to be rolled out soon)
- Requires both a monthly premium and a per-mile fee
VOOM Motorcycle Insurance Ratings at a Glance
|Benzinga’s Voom Motorcycle Insurance Overall Rating|
|VOOM Customer Service|
Motorcycle owners know riding is often limited to only a few months. Unfortunately, traditional insurance providers don’t allow you to adjust your rate seasonally depending on your mileage.
VOOM is a new motorcycle insurance provider that offers low monthly premiums and per-mile charges. In addition to a base fee each month, you’ll pay a set rate per mile you ride each month, which may be as low as 3 cents per mile. And, depending on the coverage and rider profile, it may be even lower -- some VOOM customers pay less than 1 cent per mile. This means that you’ll pay less for your insurance coverage during the months you don’t ride as often.
Reporting your miles is also exceptionally simple — snap a photo of your odometer each month and your insurance agent will calculate what you owe. This means that you don’t need to install any type of invasive tracking hardware onto your motorcycle. Though VOOM is only available in a few states (Arizona, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin), it provides exceptionally affordable coverage for seasonal or occasional riders.
VOOM offers 3 insurance policy options for motorcycle riders. No matter which policy option you choose, you’ll have at least the state minimum coverage you need to remain on the road legally. VOOM shows these options as default for simplicity, but VOOM insurance also allows the rider to customize their policy as they desire. This gives the rider full flexibility over their coverage.
VOOM’s current insurance policy choices are as follows:
The Rider’s Essential insurance coverage is the most basic option available from VOOM. This insurance option includes up to $25,000 worth of bodily injury liability coverage per person and up to $50,000 per occurrence. This coverage compensates anyone who you injure during a collision and is required to drive in almost every state.
The Rider’s Essentials plan also includes up to $10,000 worth of property damage liability coverage, which compensates anyone whose property you damage in an accident. Like bodily injury liability coverage, property damage liability coverage is a required protection in order to drive legally.
The Popular insurance plan includes coverage for everything found on the Essentials plan, plus an additional $15,000 worth of property damage liability coverage. The Popular plan also includes the following extended protections.
- Collision coverage: Collision coverage compensates you for damage done to your own vehicle following an accident. It is not the same thing as property damage liability coverage, as this protection only compensates other drivers whose property you damage.
- Comprehensive coverage: Comprehensive coverage compensates you for damage that occurs to your vehicle in a non-collision context. For example, comprehensive coverage can help you pay for repairs after your windshield is damaged by hail. It also protects you against vandalism and auto theft.
Neither collision coverage nor comprehensive coverage are required protections under the law. However, they can help compensate you if your vehicle is damaged or stolen, which is why many drivers elect to add these protections to their policy.
The Extended policy is VOOM’s most comprehensive and inclusive coverage option. This policy includes up to $100,000 worth of bodily injury liability insurance per person and up to $300,000 worth of coverage per occurrence. The Extended policy also expands your property damage liability coverage to up to $50,000 worth of protection.
This policy also includes $100,000 worth of uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. This protection compensates you if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who is operating without enough insurance to fully cover the cost of your medical bills or your vehicle repair bills after a collision.
While VOOM offers many of the most popular coverages that you’ll find with major insurance providers, the company only offers insurance in 4 states: Indiana, Arizona, Ohio and Illinois. VOOM is currently working to expand its operations to more parts of the country.
VOOM currently offers 2 methods to get in contact with its customer service team.
- Phone: You can contact VOOM’s motorcycle insurance experts by calling (650) 332-9128. Customer service is available by phone between the hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Email: If you prefer to submit a question or request over email, you can send a message to email@example.com. A motorcycle insurance expert will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible after submitting your message.
VOOM does not offer a dedicated customer support line for hearing limitations.
Unlike most motorcycle insurance providers, VOOM does not charge a flat-rate premium for your coverage. Instead, you’ll pay a basic flat rate plus a per-mile fee, which may equal out to just a few cents depending on where you live and the coverage you choose.
Below you can view a sample quote from VOOM. This quote was collected for a 2004 Harley Davidson Roadster XL1200R owned by a 45-year-old driver with 3 years of riding experience from Ohio.
VOOM also offers a number of discounts that can lower the price of your coverage. You can receive a discount for:
- Taking a motorcycle safety course
- Having an anti-theft device or anti-lock brakes installed on your bike
- Maintaining motorcycle insurance for at least 6 months before you apply for a policy
- Owning a home
- Having your driver’s license endorsed for motorcycle use
VOOM offers a number of benefits that may not be found with traditional motorcycle insurance providers. These include:
- Low monthly premiums: VOOM offers motorcycle insurance for as little as $5 a month and even less than 1 cent fee per mile. Paying per mile you ride as opposed to a single premium upfront can help you save if you only ride your bike during certain seasons.
- Easy mileage reporting process: When you need to submit your mileage for the month, VOOM only requires that you snap a quick picture of your odometer to calculate your rate.
- Intuitive discounts: As you complete your application for insurance, VOOM will ask you a series of questions about your driving history, your vehicle and your experience as a motorcyclist. This process automatically applies discounts to your policy based on your answers.
The process of applying for a quote with VOOM is exceptionally simple. You can complete the application and see real pricing for coverage in less than 2 minutes. When you apply, you’ll be asked to provide a small amount of personal information, specifications for the motorcycle to be insured and a bit of information about your driving history and experience.
As you complete your application for coverage, VOOM will mark areas where you’ll qualify for a discount, which you can claim immediately as you fill out your application. This means you won’t need to already have the company’s discounts memorized and remember to apply them. Quick, simple and straightforward, VOOM’s motorcycle application offers a streamlined buying experience.
VOOM Motorcycle Insurance vs. Competitors
VOOM motorcycle insurance offers a number of benefits over traditional insurance providers thanks to its innovative approach to coverage. These benefits make VOOM stand out from the crowd:
- Per-mile coverage: Instead of charging a monthly fee for your coverage, VOOM charges a variable rate dependent on how much you ride per month. This can be an ideal system for motorcyclists, as the number of miles they ride will likely vary depending on the seasons.
- No tracking software: Some companies that charge you per mile you drive require you to install tracking software on your vehicle. VOOM only requires you to send a photo of your odometer to calculate mileage.
- Multiple coverage options: VOOM offers 3 coverage levels, varying from state minimum coverage to extra insurance like collision, comprehensive and uninsured motorist coverage. This allows you to customize your coverage to balance costs and protections.
Get Started with VOOM Motorcycle Insurance
Interested in learning more about VOOM motorcycle insurance? If you’re a seasonal rider, you could save up to $300 a year on your insurance with VOOM’s per-mile coverage. Get your free quote today to learn more about what you might pay for rates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a yearly cap on the number of miles with VOOM?
There is no cap on the number of miles you can ride, but there is a maximum yearly number of miles for which you will be charged for. After this limit is met, you will not pay for any more miles.
How will I be charged if I forget to upload my odometer image?
An image of the odometer must be uploaded in order to activate and validate the policy. If you do not upload the initial image of the odometer reading, your policy will not be activated and therefore you will not be charged. Each month, you will be reminded to add an updated image so that you are charged based on the miles you actually ride.
If you decide not to share an updated image during a particular month, you will be charged an average mileage for the per-mile portion. Once you do share an updated image of your odometer, the price will update accordingly.
Can my coverage be paused if I stop using my motorcycle for the winter, (or for any other reason)?
This is exactly what per-mile insurance is for! While your policy cannot be paused, you only pay per mile that you ride. You always have the option of removing any coverages not mandated by the state or lien holder that you are not using.