Want to jump straight to the answer? Most people prefer to insure their bike or motorcycle with Harley-Davidson Insurance Services.
Virginia is a beautiful state to explore by motorcycle. The Shenandoah Valley offers some of the most stunning scenery our country has to offer, and there’s no better way to experience it than on a bike.
While you’re enjoying the freedom of the open road, it’s essential to have the right insurance protection in place. It helps you recover if a worst-case scenario occurs. Learn more about motorcycle insurance in Virginia works.
Best VA Motorcycle Insurance
Virginia Motorcycle Insurance Laws
You must either have state minimum insurance or pay a $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee. The fee allows you to ride without insurance at your own risk. It doesn’t provide you with insurance, and it leaves you vulnerable in the event of an accident. To protect yourself, it’s best to purchase motorcycle insurance. Here is the minimum coverage required by Virginia to avoid paying the fee.
- State minimum insurance requirements:
- Bodily injury/death of 1 person: $25,000
- Bodily injury/death of 2 or more people: $50,000
- Property damage: $20,000
- Average annual rate with a clean driving record: $703
The state minimum insurance required in Virginia is liability insurance. This coverage pays for the injuries of others and damage to their property if you’re found to be at fault in an accident.
Given how high medical bills can be and how expensive motorcycles are, Virginia’s minimum requirements of $25,000-$50,000 for bodily injuries and $20,000 for property damage are low. You may want to carry more coverage.
You may also want to consider additional types of coverage. If you want full coverage, you should consider collision and comprehensive coverage. Collision coverage covers damage to your motorcycle if you’re involved in a collision. Comprehensive coverage pays for damage to your motorcycle from events that aren’t accidents, like theft, fires and natural disasters.
You can also opt for coverage for customized motorcycle parts. Collision and comprehensive coverage will typically only pay for standard parts. To have customer parts insured, you’ll need additional coverage.
Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is another option to consider seriously. This coverage pays if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance or who doesn’t have enough insurance.
How much do coverage options cost? Find out from our trusted partner. All you need to do to get a quote is enter your ZIP code.
Virginia Motorcycle Insurance Rates Per Bike
The type of motorcycle you have makes a difference in your rate. In general, sports bikes are the most expensive to insure, followed by cruisers and tourers. Standard and dual sports are usually the least expensive motorcycles to insure.
The size of the engine in your bike also makes a difference. A large engine will typically cost more to insure than a small one. Customization can also make your bike more expensive to insure.
Other factors impact your rate just as much, if not more, than the type of motorcycle you have. These are:
- Your age: Younger riders will typically pay more than older riders.
- Your level of experience: If you’re new to riding, you’ll pay more than a more experienced rider, even if they’re younger than you.
- Where you live: Some areas are more prone to theft than others. Areas with harsher winters may have lower rates because there are fewer days that you can ride.
- How often you ride: Some insurers base your rate on your annual mileage, and the more you ride, the higher your rate.
- How your motorcycle is used: If you use your bike for recreational purposes, you’ll likely pay less than if you use it for commuting or for business purposes.
- Your driving history: Speeding and traffic tickets will increase the cost of your motorcycle insurance. Violations typically fall off after 3 years, so if you avoid any new tickets, your rate should eventually go down.
- Your claims history: Any accident or claim on your record will also increase your rates, At-fault accidents will have more of an impact, but accidents, where you weren’t at fault, will also increase your rates.
- Your credit score: Some insurers use a credit-based insurance score to determine your rate. This score is based on the same factors as your credit score but it’s a different number. Insurance companies typically can’t deny you insurance based only on your insurance score, and several states don’t allow it to be used at all in deciding rates, but Virginia isn’t one of those states.
Discounts Can Help
Discounts can lower the cost of your motorcycle insurance. Here are some of the most common options:
- Multi-policy discounts: If you buy multiple policies from an insurance company, like motorcycle and homeowners insurance, you may receive a discount.
- Multi-vehicle discounts: If you insure multiple vehicles with the same company, you could be eligible for a discount.
- Paid in full: This discount is for paying annually.
- Motorcycle safety course: With helping you ride more safely, you may receive a discount for completing a motorcycle safety course.
- Anti-lock brakes: This safety feature can also earn you a discount.
- Theft-recovery device: In addition to giving you peace of mind, a theft recovery device may get you a discount on your policy. A professional must install the recovery system.
- Homeowner: If you own a home, including a townhouse, condo or mobile home, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Affinity member: Some groups partner with insurance companies to secure discounts for their members. They may include alumni organizations, professional groups and sports groups.
- Riding group: If you’re a riding association member, you may be eligible for a discount.
Motorcycle Insurance Quotes in Virginia
Here’s how much insurance costs with several Virginia insurers.
|Company||Quote for a 1-year policy||Price Rating|
Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
Here are the discounts available with Virginia motorcycle insurance companies.
|Company||Discounts Offered||Overall Rating|
|Harley-Davidson Insurance||Multiple bikes, loyalty, homeowner, riding group, claims-free, rider experience, anti-theft, safety course, motorcycle driver’s license||3.7|
|Farmers||Multiple bikes, loyalty, homeowner, riding group, anti-lock brakes||4.3|
|Progressive||Transfer, multiple bikes, homeowner, claims-free, anti-lock brakes, safety course, motorcycle driver’s license||4.3|
|Dairyland||Multiple bikes, loyalty, homeowner, riding group, safety course||4.7|
|Safeco||Multiple bikes, loyalty, homeowner, riding group, claims-free, rider experience, anti-lock brake, anti-theft, safety course||4.3|
Best Motorcycle Insurance Providers in Virginia
Which Virginia motorcycle insurance providers are the best? Here are Benzinga’s top picks.
Finding the Right Coverage
Before you start shopping for insurance, consider what coverage you need. If you have a pristine, expensive bike, you may want to opt for comprehensive and collision coverage in addition to liability. If you’re not as concerned about your bike, you may just want to purchase liability to meet Virginia’s minimum requirements.
Once you know the coverage you want, contact multiple providers for quotes on that coverage. Compare coverage limits, discounts and deductibles.
Your deductible is the amount you pay out of pocket before your coverage starts. If you have a $500 deductible, you’ll pay for the first $500 in repair costs. Your insurance will cover the rest, subject to the terms of your policy. A high deductible lowers your policy premiums, but it does mean you need to be prepared to pay more out of pocket.
Your coverage limit is the most your policy will pay out for a claim. Low coverage limits lower the cost of your insurance but also leave you vulnerable. If you have a claim that exceeds your policy limits, you’re responsible for the difference. That can get expensive.
You should also consider claims and customer service. If you’re not sure about service, look online for reviews or talk to other friends who ride to learn about their experiences with insurance companies. Once you review quotes, choose a provider that offers reasonable rates combined with excellent service. That may — or may not — be the insurance company with the lowest rates.
Related content: BEST AUTO INSURANCE IN VIRGINIA BEACH
Frequently Asked Questions
Virginia law requires that you meet minimum liability requirements or pay a $500 uninsured motorcyclist fee.
Money-saving Motorcycle Insurance
Harley-Davidson Insurance Services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. The company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. You’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.