Wilmington, North Carolina, is home to beautiful weather, a booming economy, beaches that dazzle and safe, affordable housing. But the city is not without risk. You have to be mindful of flooding, hurricane and wind dangers, particularly if you live near on the coast. So, why not protect your property and prized possessions with homeowners insurance?
On the fence about purchasing a policy? Know that it’s a small price to pay for peace of mind that you’ll be covered if the unthinkable happens.
Best Wilmington Home Insurance:
- Best Overall in Wilmington: North Carolina Coastal Home Insurance
- Cheapest Home Insurance in Wilmington: Nationwide
- Best for Discounts: Liberty Mutual
- Best for Claims Processing: North Carolina Farm Bureau
- Best for Customer Service: State Farm
Best Home Insurance Providers in Wilmington, NC
Searching for home insurance in Wilmington? You’ve come to the right place. Let Benzinga help you find a policy that fits your needs and budget.
We’ve included reviews of the best home insurance providers in Wilmington to make your life easier. Plus, you can get a free, no-obligation quote in under 60 seconds by entering your ZIP code. Take a look at our top recommendations and inquire today to see what they have to offer.
1. Best Overall in Wilmington: North Carolina Coastal Home Insurance
North Carolina Coastal Home Insurance specializes in coverage for the residents of Wilmington and coastal North Carolina. Its policies cover your personal property and liability coverage. Plus, the premiums are among the lowest in the industry.
This insurer has representatives standing by 24/7 to assist you with your questions and home insurance needs. Call 910-591-1010 or request a free quote online.
2. Cheapest Home Insurance in Wilmington: Nationwide
Looking for cheap home insurance that doesn’t cut corners? Nationwide has you covered with competitively priced, comprehensive policies you can afford. Plus, you’ll enjoy Better Roof Replacement if you sustain losses from a roof leak, along with Brand New Belongings that pays you for your damaged or stolen goods.
Beyond the typical property and personal liability coverages, you can upgrade your policy to include coverage for identity theft, high-value items, water damage caused by sewer, drain and sump pump backup, earthquakes and flooding. You can also purchase the replacement cost plus option to receive an additional 20% of your property coverage limit if your home is damaged and needs to be rebuilt.
These perks and more are available for a low monthly premium. Nationwide is also on your side and wants to help you keep more money in your pocket by offering a host of discounts on premiums. Enter your ZIP code to get a fast, free quote.
3. Best for Discounts: Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual specializes in customizable home insurance policies. But what sets it apart from other providers is its valuable discounts offered to policyholders.
It rewards subscribers from over 1,000 colleges, companies, associations and groups in North Carolina with valuable discounts. You can also save a bundle on coverage with its multipolicy, claims-free, protective devices, newly purchased home, safe homeowner program, early shopper discount and so many more. And it offers cost-savings to members of the armed forces.
Get a free quote today to learn more about discounts you may qualify for with Liberty Mutual.
4. Best for Claims Processing: North Carolina Farm Bureau
The North Carolina Farm Bureau is the largest domestic property and casualty insurance company in the state and serves the residents of Wilmington with pride. Even better, it boasts an A rating with AM Best, so you can rest assured you’re getting coverage from a reputable provider with a proven track record of success.
This insurer also makes it easy to file a claim with its straightforward process. Call your agent, explain what happened and they’ll handle the rest. And if you’re on the go, you can log in to the customer portal 24/7 to get the process started.
Request a free online quote today to explore your options and pick a policy that best suits your needs.
5. Best for Customer Service: State Farm
State Farm is the leading provider of home insurance in America, and for a valid reason. They offer exceptional customer service, along with valuable tools and resources to help policyholders along the way.
Coverage is available for acts of nature, fire, theft, vandalism, riots, explosion, smoke and many other incidents that put your home and personal belongings at risk. You’ll also be protected against liability claims and lawsuits.
Reach out to a customer care representative at 800-782-8332 to learn more about how State Farm can serve you. You can get a free quote online in about 1 minute.
Average Annual Home Insurance Premium in Wilmington, NC
Wondering how much home insurance in Wilmington costs? On average, expect to pay $1,909 annually for premiums. This figure is slightly higher than what residents who live in other cities pay due to steeper property values. Also, the close proximity of the city to the coast makes the premiums more pricey.
The exact amount of your premiums depend on several factors:
- The deductible: This is the amount you’re responsible for paying out of pocket before coverage kicks in. If you opt for a higher deductible, your premiums will be lower as you’ll assume a more elevated risk than the insurance provider.
- Property type: Do you need coverage for a single-family or multi-family home?
- Intended use: Is the property your primary residence? Or is it an investment property you rent out?
- Location: Are you near the coastline or a bit further offshore?
- Security and safety features: Is the property equipped with burglar alarms and security monitoring to protect the home from intruders and theft?
Many providers extend discounts to subscribers to help minimize premiums, including:
- Anti-theft discount: Burglar alarms and security monitoring often lands policyholders discounts on their home insurance policies.
- Claims-free discount: This helps reduce the premiums if it’s been a while since you filed a claim under the policy.
- Gated community discount: This is available to policyholders who live in gated communities.
- Loyalty discount: This discount is available to policyholders who’ve stuck around for an extended period.
- Monitored fire alarm discount: Customers who have an active fire alarm system that’s monitored around the clock are eligible.
- Multi-policy discount: This is available for those who have multiple policies from the same provider.
- New or renovated home discount: Updated homes equal safer homes, which equate to reduced premiums.
- Senior discount: This applies to policyholders who are senior citizens.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover?
Wondering what the hard-earned money spent on premiums gets you? Most homeowners insurance policies include property and personal liability coverage. Let’s take a closer look at each:
- Property coverage: This provides dwelling and personal property and loss of use coverage. If your home is damaged or destroyed by fire, smoke, wind, hail, lightning or select types of water damage, you’ll be protected. Property coverage also
extends to detached structures, like sheds and workshops, and personal belongings, like furniture, clothing and kitchenware.
- Personal liability coverage: This includes personal liability coverage and medical payments to others in the event someone is injured on your property. Coverage kicks in to take care of medical bills, lost wages on behalf of the claimant, monetary settlement and other legal expenses.
How about flood or earthquake coverage? Your policy probably won’t afford you this luxury, so you may have the option to add on this coverage for an added layer of protection.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Not Cover?
Unfortunately, there are homeowners insurance exclusions to be mindful of. It depends on the policy, but most providers won’t cover:
- Damages resulting from mudslides, nuclear hazards, deterioration, domestic animals, underground water, settling, acts of war and other events that cause mass destruction
- Select high-risk items, like trampolines and diving boards not covered under your policy
- Aggressive dog breeds and select high-value items (coverage limits may apply)
- Damages caused by wear and tear or negligence, including sewer backups, mold and infestations
As mentioned earlier, damages and losses caused by earthquakes usually aren’t covered by standard home insurance policies.
Before you purchase a policy, read the fine print to learn more about coverages and exclusions.
Get Home Insurance in Wilmington Today
You’ve worked so hard to purchase and preserve your home. Get the protection you need through a home insurance policy so your efforts aren’t in vain. Consider a policy with one of our recommended providers. Start by requesting quotes from each provider. Take a look at what they offer and compare the coverages and premiums to find the best fit for you.