1 Minute Review
Allstate is one of the best-known insurance companies in the business and for good reason. It offers a range of coverage options so you can tailor your coverage to your needs. You can apply for a policy through a local agent or online. Even if you buy a policy online, you can still get assistance from a local agent, which can be helpful when it’s time to file a claim.
Allstate’s claims process is clear and you can track it online so you know exactly what’s going on. It also has a mobile app that you can use to pull up ID cards, take photos for a claim and pay your bills. Allstate is a good choice for those with multiple policies and who like personal service.
- Home owners with multiple policies
- Home owners without a recent claim
- Ease of online service or through an agent
- Clear claims process
- Useful mobile app
- Average customer satisfaction for claims
- Optional coverage like yard and garden not available in every state
Table of Contents [Hide]
Allstate offers an impressive array of coverage options. In addition to standard options, it offers several optional types of coverage. When it comes to how much homeowners insurance costs, the types of coverage you choose have a significant impact.
Here are the standard types of coverage Allstate offers. These are what’s typically covered by home insurance:
- Dwelling coverage: This covers the physical structure of your home and anything that’s attached to it, like a garage. It typically covers losses due to fire, theft, vandalism, lightning, wind and hail. It typically doesn’t cover damage from earthquakes and floods.
- Personal property coverage: This covers the items inside your home. It also covers personal items kept outside your house.
- Liability protection: This coverage protects you if you’re sued because someone is injured on your property or you’ve damaged someone else’s property. It helps cover your legal defense fees along with any settlements.
- Guest medical coverage: In addition to legal fees, Allstate’s homeowners policies also cover the medical costs of someone injured on your property.
Here are optional types of coverage that Allstate offers:
- Umbrella policies: This is an additional policy that starts coverage once you’ve reached the liability limit of your homeowners insurance policy.
- HostAdvantage: If you rent out some or all of your home with a home-sharing service, this coverage helps cover your belongings.
- Flood insurance: If you live in an area that floods, it’s important to buy flood insurance since standard policies don’t cover flooding.
- Identity theft coverage: Restoring your identity can be stressful and expensive. Allstate’s coverage helps you determine if your identity has been compromised and take appropriate action if it has.
- Water backup: This covers damage from a sump pump breaking or if a drain is overflowing.
- Scheduled personal property: Standard personal property coverage may not be enough if you have special items like expensive jewelry or art. This coverage allows you to buy coverage on appraised items.
- Green improvement reimbursement: If you have to replace damaged items, it makes sense to replace them with energy-efficient alternatives. These items may be more expensive than the original items, so this coverage makes up the difference.
- Yard and garden: If you have expensive landscaping features, this coverage is worth considering. It increases the coverage for landscaping features and lawn equipment.
- Musical instruments: A high-quality musical instrument can cost thousands of dollars. This increases the coverage of those items so you can buy high-quality replacements if needed.
- Sports equipment: Like musical instruments, these items can be pricey. This increases coverage on those items.
- Electronic data recovery: If your computer is damaged, this helps cover the costs of recovering data.
- Business property: If you own a business, you may keep items in your home, like inventory. This helps cover replacing those items.
Allstate also offers homeowners insurance for manufactured and mobile homes.
Allstate’s prices are competitive, and if you qualify for discounts it can be cheap home insurance. Here are some of its discount opportunities:
- Multi-policy discount: You can save up to 25% if you bundle home and auto coverage.
- Responsible payment discount: You can receive a discount by paying on time and using certain types of payments, like paying in full or paying from your escrow account.
- Claim-free discount: If you’re switching to Allstate and you don’t have a recent home insurance claim, you could save up to 20%.
- Welcome and loyalty discount: Even if you don’t have a pristine claims history, you could save up to 10% by switching to Allstate, and that continues for every year you’re a customer.
- Homebuyer discount: If you recently bought a home or you purchased a newly constructed home, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Easy pay plan: Save up to 5% for setting up automatic payments.
- Early signing discount: Save up to 10% for signing up for a new policy 7 days or more before your current one expires.
- Protective device discount: Allstate also offers a discount if you have fire or theft protection devices.
Allstate offers some of the best home insurance discounts, and if you qualify for more than one, the savings can really add up.
Its transparent claims process makes Allstate among the best homeowners insurance companies. Filing a claim is simple — you can file online with your Allstate account or through the Allstate mobile app. The mobile app makes it easy to take and upload pictures with your claim, and documentation is a critical part of the process.
Once you’ve filed a claim, you can keep track of the process with your online account or mobile app. This makes it easy to answer questions or provide additional information if needed. If your claim is approved, you can choose how to receive your claim payment. The fastest option gets your payment to you within 24 hours of approval.
Allstate has an impressive mobile app that allows you to access your digital ID cards easily. You can pay bills and review your payment history. Another helpful feature is the Allstate Digital Locker. Taking a thorough inventory of your home can simplify the claims process and ensure you get all the funds you’re entitled to. The Digital Locker makes it easy to take inventory. You can also contact your local agent through the app.
Allstate offers competitive prices, which can be lowered even more with discounts. Its claim process is clear and you can keep up-to-date with the process. It does have average customer service for claims, so that’s important to keep in mind.
Allstate also offers a wide range of coverage, but some optional types of coverage aren’t available in all states. If you’re interested in Allstate, consider getting a quote, either online or through an agent. Compare that quote to your current coverage and rates and to 1 or 2 other insurance companies. Choose the company that offers the rates and coverage that are important to you.