Searching for the best pet insurance in Iowa for your furry friend? Let Benzinga lend a helping hand.
We’ve conducted hours of research to compile a list of top providers and outline what to expect from pet insurance policies — including how they work and why the investment is worth it.
Best Pet Insurance in Iowa
Pet Insurance in Iowa: An Overview
Vet bills can put a dent in your wallet. Fortunately, pet insurance in Iowa helps minimize the cost of care for your dog or cat. And the benefits of purchasing a policy clearly outweigh the costs, as evidenced by these figures from the North American Pet Health Insurance Association.
Number of households with pets: 85 million
Amount spent on pet bills annually: $15.25 billion
Average cost of pet insurance annually: $168 to $1,176 (varies by tier)
But pet insurance doesn’t work like traditional insurance. These policies require you to pay the bill in full first and submit a claim to your provider for reimbursement. Days or even weeks could lapse before you receive an electronic deposit to your bank account or a check in the mail.
Also, the amount you’ll be reimbursed depends on a few factors:
- The level of coverage. Extensive coverage means higher monthly premiums.
- The deductible. Your policy won’t kick in until you’ve paid the deductible. This is a flat-rate you must pay out of pocket for services before your plan starts covering expenses.
- Accurate claim information. If there are errors or omissions on the claim form, you could receive substantially less than you’re eligible for — or have the claim rejected altogether.
What Does Pet Insurance Typically Cover?
Not all pet insurance policies are the same. Frequently, you’ll find that accident and illness coverage is standard, and some providers offer accident-only plans. But there are select policies that also cover routine care. Others help offset costs for prescription drugs and preventive surgeries.
Here’s a detailed breakdown:
- Accidents: These plans kick in if your dog or cat is injured in an accident.
- Illnesses: This coverage comes into play if your dog or cat falls ill unexpectedly. Keep in mind the provider may not offer reimbursement if the illness is caused by a pre-existing medical condition.
- Other coverages: Select plans include coverage for routine care, prescription drugs and preventive surgeries.
More specialized plans for exotic pets or periodontal care are also available. Before you select a plan, check to see if exclusions or waiting periods apply. Insurance providers often include clauses to prevent pet owners from enrolling only when problems arise.
3 Reasons to Buy Pet Insurance in Iowa
There are several reasons why pet insurance is a worthwhile investment. Here are a few key benefits:
- Affordable premiums. You can get the coverage you need for under $100 per month — a small price to pay for the thousands you could save on vet bills.
- Minimized out-of-pocket costs. Although you will have to pay upfront and submit a claim for reimbursement, in the end, your policy will help cover a portion of the costs.
- Peace of mind. No need to choose between your budget and your pet. A pet insurance policy gives you peace of mind knowing that your pet can receive adequate care when it’s needed.
The Best Pet Insurance in Iowa
With so many pet insurance providers in Iowa to choose from, how do you find a policy that suits you? Benzinga’s done the research to bring you a list of the best pet insurance providers.
Our top picks are companies that offer affordable, flexible plans to meet your needs.
1. Best Overall: Lemonade Pet Insurance
Lemonade is a top-rated, modern insurance company providing pet parents with highly customizable pet insurance.
Lemonade offers coverage for accidents and illness, preventative and wellness care and extended accident and illness coverage.
Lemonade is especially known for its high annual maximum. Also, if you have your home, renters or life insurance through Lemonade, you may see some deep discounts on your policy.
2. High-Quality Pet Insurance: Spot Pet Insurance
Spot Pet Insurance is a top provider of affordable policies in Iowa. It's also the preferred choice of world-renown dog trainer Cesar Millan.
Standard plans include accident and illness coverage. But you can customize to include coverage for behavioral issues, dental disease, illnesses, congenital and hereditary conditions and preventive services. (Be sure to read the fine print as exclusions may apply.)
You can get covered for as little as $1 a day and get reimbursed up to 90% on vet bills.
3. Most Affordable in Iowa: Embrace Pet Insurance
Embrace Pet Insurance offers high-quality plans to cover accidents, illnesses, exams and preventive care. Select plans also cover costs related to grooming and training.
But what makes them an ideal choice are their flexible plan options. Embrace allows you to adjust the reimbursement percentage, deductible and annual maximum to achieve your desired monthly premium. Even better, most policyholders are reimbursed for at least 90% of claims.
You’ll also be rewarded over time with its Diminishing Deductible feature. Not filing a claim each year means Embrace reduces your deductible by $50.
4. Best for Dogs: Progressive
Looking for a pet insurance provider in Iowa that offers routine care coverage? Consider a Wellness Routine Care Plan from Progressive to covers blood work, wellness exams and dental cleanings.
It’s available as an add-on to the Accident-Only or BestBenefit Accident and Illness Plan.
5. Best for Cats: Pumpkin Pet Insurance
Your cat or kitten deserves the very best care possible, and Pumpkin Pet Insurance gives you the opportunity to do your best for your cat.
After Pumpkin reviews your claim and determines whether your cat can be covered, you’ll receive a robust 90% reimbursement for the covered costs on your claim (assuming annual deductible has been met).
Pumpkin offers robust pet insurance plans for cats of all ages. If you’re considering Pumpkin as your pet insurance provider, know the annual coverage limits and reimbursement limits in its policies.
Get Pet Insurance in Iowa
Pet insurance can help guard your wallet against unwanted costs if your pet is involved in an accident or falls ill. Plus, you won’t be faced with the agonizing decision to clean out your savings for care or worse — consider laying your pet to rest.
Ready to start shopping for a plan? It’s fast, easy and free to retrieve quotes from our list of recommended providers. Enter your ZIP code to explore your options for the best fit.