1 Minute Review
Ladder offers policies with no hidden fees, on-the-spot underwriting and a streamlined website. Coverage ranges from $100,000 to $8 million and you can adjust your coverage over time as needs change.
Its price lock guarantee ensures your premium won’t increase as your health changes and you age. Policies in New York are issued by Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York and in the other states and DC by Fidelity Security Life Insurance Company, Kansas City, MO. You can receive a refund within the 1st 30 days if you’re unhappy with your coverage and you can cancel at any time.
- Term life insurance
- Online application
- Policyholders between 20 to 60 years of age
- Up to $8 million in coverage
- Price lock guarantee
- No policy fees
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Adjustable coverage
- No policy riders
- Term life insurance only
It’s impossible to predict what the future holds. Life insurance can safeguard your finances if you need to protect your family.
Purchasing a life insurance policy in the past involved insurance agents and medical exams. Now, a new wave of fintech companies makes it possible to purchase life insurance much more easily.
Need to find life insurance quickly online? Take a look at our review of Ladder to help you make your decision.
Who is Ladder Life Insurance for?
You may be probably wondering, “How much life insurance do I need?” This depends on your age, circumstances and lifestyle.
Ladder is designed for policyholders between 20 and 60 years old. You’ll benefit from Ladder life insurance if you’re:
- A young parent who is still building financial security. Life insurance can help cover mortgage payments and future education costs for your children.
- Adult children supporting parents or other family members financially.
- Healthy applicants who can bypass a medical exam or blood test.
- Homeowners ready to buy a life insurance policy to cover mortgage debt. This will help you avoid the additional insurance payment on your 1st home.
Ladder Life Insurance Products
Ladder is different from other insurance providers — it only offers term life insurance.
Ladder Term Life Insurance
Term life insurance pays out death benefits if the policyholder dies during the stipulated policy term. If the insured doesn’t pass on within the term, the policy lapses.
You have the option to choose a term length of 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 years. Coverage ranges from $100,000 to $8 million.
There are restrictions related to the term length based on your age. Your current age plus the term length shouldn’t exceed 70 years.
Here’s a simple demonstration.
|Age||Maximum term length|
|40 years old||30-year term|
|45 years old||25-year term|
|50 years old||20-year term|
|55 years old||15-year term|
|60 years old||10-year term|
Ladder term life insurance is available to those between 20 and 60 years old. Ladder doesn’t provide any permanent life insurance policy but its term life insurance is a good fit for most situations. The general philosophy is buy term, invest the rest.
Ladder allows you to purchase term life insurance policy without a medical exam. Some applicants may still need a medical exam if more information about your health is required to issue the policy.
Ladder is unique because it lets you change your coverage along the way. It provides Ladder Up and Ladder Down options so you don’t need to cancel your existing policy to adjust coverage.
Apply to increase your policy’s face value with Ladder Up. Your additional coverage is priced separately, and your premium adjusted based on the new changes. Use Ladder Down to decrease your coverage amount and your premium will decrease proportionally.
Unlike most cheap life insurance companies, Ladder doesn’t allow you to customize your coverage with rider policies. This is because it relies on algorithms to create an instant quote and riders would complicate the process.
Ladder Policy Pricing
The cost of Ladder life insurance is based upon your age, health and family medical history and other factors. Your monthly premium will also depend on your term length and desired coverage.
Ladder follows strict underwriting guidelines to assess applicants. Its underwriting process considers:
- Age: Younger and healthier applicants receive lower policy rates.
- Health: The carrier looks at your blood pressure, cholesterol, BMI and family medical history. Rates increase with a history of diabetes or cardiovascular disease.
- Driving record: You’ll have a cheaper premium if your recent driving record is free from a DUI or major traffic violation.
- Tobacco use: Prove you’ve had at least 3 tobacco-free years to qualify for the highest rate class.
- Occupation: You’ll pay a higher premium if you work in a dangerous industry.
- Hazardous lifestyle: Ladder isn’t lenient if you take part in high-risk activities like bungee jumping or skydiving.
Check out a few sample quotes based on specific profiles. Quotes were gathered June 1, 2020.
A 40-year old male nonsmoker with no previous family medical history, 2 children, earning $50,000 annually with a $200,000 mortgage balance qualifies for $1 million in coverage for a 20-year term at $85 per month.
A 40-year old male who has used tobacco within the last 12 months, has a family medical history of diabetes, 2 children, earns $50,000 annually with a $200,000 mortgage balance can obtain $1 million in coverage over a 20-year term for $389 per month.
Ladder Customer Service
Ladder relies on an entirely online insurance application platform, but its customer service team is available to help with technical issues or assistance on how to buy life insurance.
Reach customer service through online chat from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST on weekdays. Email Ladder 24/7 at email@example.com.
Ladder Claims Support
Filling a claim with Ladder is straightforward. Here’s what to expect of the claims process:
- Notify Ladder that the policyholder has died via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You’ll need to provide the policyholder’s full name, date of birth and policy number.
- Complete claim forms and provide any additional documents the company may require.
- Upon receiving all documentation, Ladder submits them to the insurance carrier and keeps you updated with progress.
- The insurance carrier will process your claim and may get in touch to request additional information.
- If your claim is valid, payment is made to the beneficiaries.
Ladder also shares a few tips to ensure a smooth claims process:
- You can easily add or change beneficiaries to your account at any time.
- Download and send your “Just in Case” card to all beneficiaries. The card includes your policy number and some important policy information.
Ready to Consider Life Insurance?
Life insurance is important for your family’s security. Start by understanding how much coverage you need with Ladder’s life insurance calculator and apply for coverage in less than 10 minutes.
Ladder can even provide temporary insurance coverage while it finishes the underwriting process. Protect your family’s financial future with life insurance from Ladder.