The realm of decentralized finance (DeFi) is one of the most exciting spaces when it comes to cutting-edge applications of cryptocurrency technology. The Curve DAO and its token, CRV, can help you invest in this emerging technology. If you’re interested in learning more about how to invest in Curve DAO, our guide for beginners is an excellent place to begin.
What is Curve Dao token?
The Curve Dao token (CRV) is the token that powers Curve.fi, a decentralized exchange and automated market maker protocol. The platform’s token, CRV, is an ERC-20 token built on the Ethereum network and created using Ethereum-based creation tool Aragon to connect smart contracts and manage liquidity between trading pairs automatically.
The goal of Curve.fi is to make swapping between similar ERC-20 tokens easier, similar to other automated market making platforms like Uniswap. CRV functions as a governance token within the Curve ecosystem, and liquidity providers (LPs) earn a small fee in CRV for completing swaps.
Brief History of CRV
Curve and its token, CRV, launched in August 2020 with the Curve DAO. Initial hype for the token peaked quickly on August 14, when the price of CRV reached an all-time high of $60.50 per token. Since this time, the price of CRV has fallen by more than 95%. However, a new partnership with Ethereum-based decentralized protocol group yearn.finance announced in January 2021 has reinvigorated investor interest in the token.
How to Buy Curve DAO (CRV)
- Open an online account.
The simplest way to buy Curve’s token (and most other types of cryptocurrencies) is to open an account with a broker that supports Curve DAO trading. A cryptocurrency broker is similar to a stockbroker. After opening an account with your broker, you’ll be able to buy, sell and trade coins and tokens through the broker’s trading platform. In return, your broker will usually charge a small fee or commission on each trade you make.
As a relatively popular decentralized finance project, you’ll have a number of crypto exchanges to choose from when you decide to buy CRV. The best exchange for you will vary depending on your skill level as an investor, the types of tools you’re looking for, your location and many additional factors. Some of the things you might want to consider before you decide where to open an account may include:
• Local availability: Every exchange is not authorized to open accounts for investors in every country — and even individual states may limit or ban the usage of select exchanges. Be sure that your exchange of choice is able to open accounts where you live before you begin your application.
• Availability of other assets: If you’re only interested in buying and selling Curve DAO’s token, you can search for an exchange only by CRV listing. However, if you’re looking to invest in cryptocurrencies beyond CRV, you’ll want to make sure that the exchange you choose supports all of the assets you’re interested in.
• Trading platform tools and educational resources: Every cryptocurrency broker markets itself to a specific segment of investors. Investors who have experience trading cryptos may focus on providing users with advanced screening and analysis tools, while platforms for new investors may offer more educational resources and a straightforward buying experience.
- Buy a wallet (optional).
If you don’t plan on actively trading your CRV, it’s a good idea to store your tokens in a private wallet. A crypto wallet is a physical device or online application that provides you with a private set of keys that you can use to store your tokens and coins. Cryptocurrency wallets are useful for long-term storage because they provide you with a more secure way to store your investments when compared to keeping them on your exchange wallet.
There are 2 major types of cryptocurrency wallets:
• Hardware wallets: Sometimes referred to as “cold storage,” these wallets are USB-like devices that keep your coins and tokens in an offline account. Though hardware wallets are more expensive than software options, they provide you with the highest possible level of security for your investments.
• Software wallets: These wallets are desktop or phone applications that store your investments using “hot storage” connected to the internet. Software wallets provide you with a free way to store multiple types of crypto investments, which can be useful if you only have a small amount of cryptocurrency you want to store.
As an ERC-20 token, you’ll have plenty of options when it comes to deciding how you want to store your CRV.
- Make your purchase.
After you’ve set up your brokerage account and you know how you want to store your cryptocurrency, it’s time to make your purchase. Start by opening your broker’s trading account and searching for “CRV,” the ticker for Curve Dao’s token. Take a look at the current market price of CRV — this is the price that you’ll pay for each token that you invest in if you use a market order.
Depending on the broker that you choose, you may also have access to more advanced order types, including limit orders and trailing stop orders. You can view a roundup of some of the most common types of orders here.
After you place your order, you can sit back and relax — your broker will take care of filling your order according to your specifications. If your broker cannot fill the order, they may leave the order open for up to 90 days or they may cancel the order at the end of the trading day.
Where to Buy Curve DAO
Not sure where to begin searching for a broker? Consider a few of our favorite options below.
Best Crypto Wallets
Browse our top recommended hardware and software wallet options below.
Best Hardware Wallet: Ledger Nano S
The Ledger Nano S is a comprehensive option to store both independent blockchain projects (like Bitcoin and Litecoin) as well as more than 1,500 ERC-20 tokens. You can install up to 6 applications on your device, which can be useful for investors who are searching for an affordable way to explore decentralized applications. You can also easily install and uninstall applications directly from your device. With comprehensive storage options and a price tag under $60, the Ledger Nano S combines affordability with high-grade security for new investors.
Although Curve.fi was originally developed to provide traders with an easy way to swap ERC-20 tokens, competitors like Uniswap have begun to dominate the market. Consider researching alternative DeFi platform tokens like UNI before you decide to invest in CRV.
Trade, Sell or Convert your CRV
When you see your tokens deposited in your wallet, your order is complete, and you are officially the newest investor in Curve. From here, you’ll need to decide how you want to earn a return on your investment. Most cryptocurrency investors earn a return on their initial investment in one of these ways.
- Trading: Active traders sell their CRV for a stablecoin or fiat currency when the price is high, then strategically buy back their tokens when the price falls.
- Selling: Long-term sellers transfer their CRV to a secure, private wallet and sell only when the price of CRV has reached a predetermined threshold. Unlike active traders, sellers usually only sell their investments once.
- Converting: You can easily convert CRV to another ERC-20 token using the Curve Dao platform or a 3rd-party platform like Sushiswap. The options that you’ll have when converting your tokens will vary depending on the exchange you’re using.
Current Crypto Prices
Cryptocurrency prices are constantly changing because the market is open and operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Monitoring how the market is changing can help you decide what you want to buy and when you should schedule your order. Get a glimpse of how the market is moving today with our chart below.
Is CRV a Good Investment?
Investing in DeFi projects like CRV is an affordable and exciting way to explore the expanding real-world use cases of cryptocurrencies. However, it’s important to note that the total market capitalization of CRV has fallen by more than 70% since its initial introduction. If you do decide to invest in Curve, be sure to diversify your portfolio with additional DeFi projects to protect your initial investment and limit your losses.
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions & Answers
At the time of this writing, the market cap of the Curve DAO token is over $4.4 billion.
- Exclusive Crypto Airdrops
- Altcoin of the Week
- Insider Interviews
- News & Show Highlights
- Completely FREE