1 Minute Review
Gemini is a cryptocurrency exchange and custodian that offers investors access to 26 coins and tokens. Founded in the US, Gemini is expanding globally, in particular into Europe and Asia. Offerings include both major cryptocurrency projects like Bitcoin and Ethereum, and smaller altcoins like Orchid and 0x.
Gemini is 1 of the only brokers with multiple platform options based on skill level. New investors will love the streamlined interface of Gemini’s mobile and web apps, while advanced investors might appreciate all the tools that come with ActiveTrader.
In addition to a host of platform choices, Gemini users also have access to insured hot wallets to store tokens without worrying about digital asset theft. Learn more about what Gemini can do for you in our review.
- New investors looking for a simple mobile and web app
- Experienced investors who need a more advanced platform with more tools
- Users looking for a 1-stop-shop to buy, sell and store all of their coins
- Easy and quick signups — can get started in as little as a few minutes
- Multitude of platforms to accommodate traders of all skill levels
- Hot wallets include insurance to protect your from theft and hacking attempts
- Charges both a commission and a convenience fee for users buying and selling through the desktop or mobile app
Table of Contents [Hide]
Why Gemini Over Others?
Gemini offers a number of unique features over competing cryptocurrency brokers, including:
- A range of platform options. Gemini offers both a standard, simple web interface as well as a more advanced ActiveTrader platform. This allows you to customize your Gemini experience to your trading skill level.
- Wide selection of cryptocurrency offerings. Gemini provides support for a diverse mix of 26 cryptocurrencies, ranging from major projects to smaller altcoins.
- Dynamic price alert features. Mobile investors will love the Gemini app’s alert features, which allow you to receive a push notification when an asset you’re interested in reaches a predetermined price target. You can even set alerts to inform you when an asset increases or decreases in price by a predefined percentage.
Brokerage Quick Summary
|Platform||Beginner-oriented; easy to open an account and start placing orders|
|Mobile app||Fully-operational, mirrors desktop web-trading platform|
|Products||Primary products include web and mobile trading and insured hot wallets. |
Advanced options are available for more experienced investors.
|Fees||Vary by platform and account type|
Gemini offers a variety of fee schedules depending on which platform you use to invest in the cryptocurrency market. Most new investors will invest using the mobile or web trading platform, which carries the following fees for U.S. residents:
|Web or mobile order amount (in USD)||Transaction fee|
|Less than $10||$0.99|
|More than $10 but less than $25||$1.49|
|More than $25 but less than $50||$1.99|
|$50.01 to $200||$2.99|
|More than $200||1.49% of your total order value|
Gemini also charges a convenience fee on top of the amount that you pay on your transaction fee. Gemini’s current convenience fee is set at 0.50% of the current market price of the coin that you’re buying. You’ll see your convenience fee included with the price of the coin when you place your order.
Let’s take a look at an example of how this dual fee schedule works. Imagine that you want to buy $500 worth of Bitcoin and that the current market price of 1 Bitcoin is $19,000. When you place your order, you’ll see a quoted price of $19,095 per coin (that’s the market price, $19,000, plus the convenience fee of 0.50%).
When you enter your order, Gemini will also apply a 1.49% transaction fee to your purchase, which is deducted directly from your trading funds. This means that when you place a $500 order for Bitcoin, you’ll receive $492.55 worth of Bitcoin at the current market rate plus the convenience fee.
Different maker-taker style fee schedules apply to users buying and selling on Gemini’s API and ActiveTrader platforms.
Gemini’s range of platform offerings provide a solution for traders at every skill level. Let’s take a look at some of the features you’ll be able to take advantage of when you choose Gemini as your cryptocurrency broker.
- A simple web exchange platform. New investors will appreciate Gemini’s simple, straightforward and intuitive web platform, which makes it easy to buy and sell cryptocurrencies with just a few clicks. Gemini’s desktop interface is clean and attractive with an instant view of the day’s market movements, as well as all the tools that you need to manage your investments from a single screen.
Gemini’s web-based platform can be a welcoming platform for new cryptocurrency investors, with straightforward order placement and a simple, easy-to-navigate platform.
- Comprehensive transaction histories. Gemini’s platform allows you to quickly view your account history and transactions, as well as download a complete list of your transaction history. This can be a major benefit during tax time, especially for frequent and professional investors.
- Insured hot wallet services. A hot wallet is a type of cryptocurrency wallet that must be connected to the internet in order to access your coins. Though some cryptocurrency investors worry about the level of security that standard hot wallets provide them with, Gemini’s wallets feature a range of unique features that make it a reliable place to store your coins and tokens. Gemini’s hot wallets support all of the assets you can purchase through the Gemini platform, which means that you won’t need to worry about compatibility issues.
- Gemini payment methods. Debit cards, bank transfer and in the UK instant bank transfers with Faster Payments.
Gemini’s hot wallets are insured and backed by underwriters, which is very rarely found among hot wallets. This means that you’re protected against digital asset theft and hacks. The majority of assets are actually held in Gemini’s offline cold storage system and only a small portion are held in the online hot wallet. Assets in cold storage are still instantly accessible.
The Gemini team is constantly upgrading to include both new offerings and additional security protections — for example, Gemini was the 1st major exchange to support SegWit, and the platform now offers native SegWit addresses. With enhanced security features and insurance, Gemini’s wallets are a fantastic choice for both professional investors and beginners alike.
In addition to standard features that appeal to new investors, Gemini also offers a range of more advanced tools, including its comprehensive ActiveTrader platform. The ActiveTrader platform allows you to access optimized speeds, a more dynamic maker-taker fee schedule and a wide selection of charting and market screening tools.
In addition to a beginner-friendly platform, Gemini also offers a few unique resources that you can use to learn more about the cryptocurrency market before you invest. Let’s take a look at some of our favorite education tools currently offered by Gemini.
- 5-minute cryptocurrency guides. Overwhelmed with complicated cryptocurrency explanation articles? Gemini makes it easier to learn more about assets like Bitcoin, Chainlink and more with its simple 5-minute guides. Guides are broken down into beginner-friendly sections and are written with complete novices in mind. If you’ve tried to learn about crypto mechanisms in the past but found yourself overwhelmed by confusing terminology, Gemini’s guides can be an excellent place to start educating yourself.
- Crypto glossary. Have you ever been reading an article about a particular cryptocurrency project and come upon a word or term you didn’t recognize? Gemini makes it easier to dissect press releases, seminars and articles with its comprehensive cryptocurrency glossary.
- Webinars. In addition to written resources, Gemini also offers video webinars that you can use to learn more about the market. Previous webinar topics include “Cryptocurrency 201” and “Introduction to Ethereum.” Gemini’s webinars are pre recorded, which means that you can view them at your own pace and when it’s most convenient for you.
Education resources are all available for free, and you don’t need to be logged into your Gemini account to access any educational tool or video.
Gemini offers 2 methods that you can use to get in contact with the customer service team.
- By message. To contact Gemini’s customer support team by message, fill out an online request form. For the quickest and most comprehensive reply, be sure to include the email address associated with your Gemini account.
- By phone. To get in contact with Gemini by phone, dial 866-240-5113.
- Direct message. @GeminiSupport on Twitter.
Gemini’s primary customer service method is email. In addition to coordinated assistance, Gemini also offers a comprehensive FAQ section, which can help you get quick answers to some of the most common inquiries the broker’s team receives.
Gemini offers you access to 26 of the most popular cryptocurrencies. Gemini’s currently supported coins include:
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Zcash (ZEC)
- Chainlink (LINK)
- Orchid (OXT)
- Dai (DAI)
- Basic Attention Token (BAT)
- Amp (AMP)
- Compound (COMP)
- PAX Gold (PAXG)
- 0x (ZRX)
- Balancer (BAL)
- Curve DAO Token (CRV)
- Decentraland (MANA)
- Kyber Network (KNC)
- Maker (MKR)
- Ren (REN)
- Storj Labs (STORJ)
- Synthetix (SNX)
- Universal Market Access (UMA)
- Uniswap (UNI)
- Yearn Finance (YFI)
- Aave (AAVE)
- Filecoin (FIL)
All offerings are available across Gemini’s platforms from mobile trading to ActiveTrader desktop trading.
In addition to its comprehensive desktop offerings, Gemini also offers a beginner-friendly mobile app. Let’s take a look at a few of our favorite features you can take advantage of using the mobile platform.
- A simple, straightforward interface. Gemini’s straightforward web platform extends to the design of its mobile app. Place buy orders, sell your cryptos and view your holdings with just a few simple taps.
- Dynamic price alerts. Gemini’s mobile app allows you to set dynamic price alerts that inform you when a specific asset meets a predetermined price. For example, you can set an alert to be notified when the price of Bitcoin reaches $19,000. When these conditions are met, you’ll receive a push notification on your phone. This allows you to monitor the market and make timely trades without being glued to your phone all day.
Gemini’s mobile app allows you to set dynamic price alerts for both currency percentage movements as well as pre-determined price targets.
- Quick mobile signups. Don’t already have a Gemini account? No worries — you can quickly create your free account directly from the mobile app. Opening a Gemini account takes about 3 minutes for most mobile users, and you can place your 1st order as soon as your account is opened. Gemini’s mobile app employs high-level security standards like its desktop platform as well, providing you with peace of mind no matter how you create your account.
The Gemini mobile app is available as a free download through the Apple Store, Google Play store and the Galaxy Store.
No matter if you’re an advanced trader or a brand new investor, Gemini has something on its platform for you. From an easy and intuitive web platform to its advanced ActiveTrader platform, Gemini has invested its resources into creating a diverse range of platforms to accommodate all types of traders.
Though Gemini’s fee schedule might be more difficult for new investors to understand, traders who have experience with maker-taker schedules and how trade in higher volumes will be able to master the ActiveTrader platform in as little as an afternoon.
Gemini also offers access to a wide range of both popular cryptocurrency offerings, as well as smaller, lesser-known altcoins.