1 Minute ReviewLeave Your Own 1 Minute Review!
Bring quality auto insurance at a reasonable price to farmers. Two guys did just that in 1928. Growing and adapting to market opportunities and needs, Farmers now services all types of people in all types of areas. Farmers brings a cornucopia of insurance services to rural, suburban and urban areas. They’re committed to industry-leading products and first-rate service.
- Anyone renting an apartment, house or condo
- Current Farmers customers
- Parents with college students living in university housing and renting apartments or houses
- Well-priced standard coverage
- Adjustable coverage options
- Available discounts to new customers
- Well known with nationwide availability
- A full complement of insurance and related services
- Convenient online chat feature for policyholders
- Potential for fees on top of premiums
- Rates may increase year to year
- Website fun to read but getting info is time and task intensive; retrieving saved information sometimes difficult
What is Renters Insurance?
Renters insurance is for people who live in a rented space such as an apartment, condo or house. You don’t need to own a home.
Is Renters Insurance Worth It?
Well, that depends. How much do you have and how valuable is it? How much would it cost to replace it? If it’s more than it would cost you to buy renters insurance, it’s like a great option.
Is college or moving into an apartment or a house on your horizon? You already know that getting renters insurance is easy. Now, arm yourself with more knowledge and get to know the best renters insurance as well as cheap renters insurance choices.
Farmers offers personal property, personal liability, additional living expenses and medical payments coverages as standard. Standard coverage includes:
- Personal property: Protects your belongings if they’re damaged or stolen
- Personal liability: Protects your finances if a guest suffers an injury while visiting
- Additional living expenses: Covers your expenses if you need to seek alternate living arrangements
- Medical payments: Pays for the medical services for someone who is accidentally hurt at your place
You can also add on to your standard coverage:
- Identity Shield: This helps you resolve identity fraud as well as compensation for time and loss, credit monitoring, assistance notifying credit bureaus and help replacing important documents.
Farmers renters insurance offers 3 standard discounts to all: multiple policies, non-smoking household and security/fire alarms. You can score a discount if you already have a policy with Farmers, like Auto. If your home is smoke-free you can also get a discount. Finally, if your home has security and fire alarms you qualify for a discount. Location and professional discounts are also available. To learn more about these, consult with a Farmers agent.
You can also lower your rate by reducing your coverages and increasing your deductible. If you take inventory of all your stuff and determine that you don’t need $25,000 in personal property protection, lower it to $15,000. If you’re a saver and have a decent amount of money in your account, then maybe you can afford to up the amount of your deductible.
Saving $100 per year might be good now, but if something happens and you don’t have enough insurance to cover the expenses or a high deductible strains your finances, it’s just not worth it. For the best outcome, plan for the worst.
Types of Insurance from Farmers
Farmers offers an abundance of insurance and related services. They include:
- Auto: Insurance for your vehicle(s)
- Home: Insurance for your home
- Landlord and rental property: If you own rental properties
- Life: Planning for a future without you
- Business: Insurance to fit the kind of business you run
- Recreational: Insurance for your toys such as a boat or ORV
- Motorcycle: Insurance for motorcycle riders
- Umbrella: Additional liability coverage
- Pet: Veterinary bill coverage for your pet(s)
- Financial services: Helps you set a financial strategy
You can chat online or talk in person with Farmers customer service. To chat online, simply click their Chat online button on their Contact Us web page. If you prefer to talk to a live agent, call 888-327-6335. Customer service agents are available Mon–Fri: 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. CST and Sat–Sun: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST.
To get support with a claim you can talk online or in person. For online claims support simply go to the Contact Us page on their website. You can call your agent directly if you have their number. Or you can call 800-435-7764, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you prefer to speak with a Spanish-speaking agent, call 877-732-5266. Finally, if you’re hearing impaired, call 888-891-1660 TTY.
When it comes to renters insurance, you want great coverage, low price, awesome customer service and quick claims support. Plus, you want to know that the company you’ve enlisted to have your back is going to be there when you need them. Anything beyond is the icing on the cake.
Reviews on ConsumersAffairs.com rate Farmers just above 4 stars. As its tagline suggests, “We know a thing or two, because we’ve seen a thing or two,” being around for nearly a century pays dividends, which transfers to its customers. Its website offers valuable “Learn from Experience” anecdotes to help you prepare and plan for anything from re-doing your closets to what happens when your living room turns into an indoor pool.
J.D. Power, on the other hand, gives Farmers 2 out of 5 circles, meaning “the rest.” To be fair, only 5 out of 14 companies in the J.D. Power survey rate “about average” to “the best.”
Farmers also conducts a yearly review with its customers to see if their insurance needs change. This is nice because it allows you to talk with an expert to be sure you have the right amount of coverage.
Protect Yourself with Farmers Renters Insurance
Farmers renters insurance offers you peace of mind. Make sure you cover your assets because anything can happen. Take inventory of your things, think about what you need from an insurance provider and go get quotes. Knowledge is power. With your newfound power, you can choose the renters insurance you need in good times, bad times and all the times in between.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the type of dwelling you live in affect your renters insurance?
Normally, since renters insurance only covers your belongings, the type of home will not matter. What will matter is that in a larger home, you will have more personal possessions, thus more to insure. You will want to look at the limits the policy has and consider having an add-on/rider that will cover your higher priced items like jewelry, collections, and precious metals. You can learn more by reading our homeowners insurance guide. Get a custom renters insurance quote.
Does renters insurance cover roommates?
Will renters insurance cover me if my neighbor causes damage to my dwelling?
When you have renters insurance, you are covered if your neighbor is negligent and causes damage to your property. If they have renters insurance, it also will cover the damages you sustain, but your policy would be better to file under because you could have better coverage. For instance, if you have an older computer that is damaged due to a water leak, then their policy could only cover the actual cost of your now non-functioning computer. If your policy has a replacement cost rider, then you would get more coverage under your policy. This is another reason you want your own policy and not rely on another person’s coverage. Get an instant renters insurance quote here.
Get Protection Now
Lemonade offers fast, easy coverage through their seamless application and claims process. Get personal property and liability protection with Lemonade Renters Insurance.