1 Minute Review
Embrace pet plans start at just $15/month. Accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions are just a few of the included coverages offered in their nose-to-tail plan. This is a comprehensive coverage plan that reimburses up to 90% of your pet’s unexpected vet bills. Claims is easy as 1,2,3: complete a form, attach an itemized invoice and send it in.
- Pets with chronic conditions
- Prescription drugs
- Breed-specific owners
- Has a deductible feature included in the Embrace Plan at no additional cost
- Covers dogs and cats
- Coverage for exams
- Rewards program
- Great customer service
- Comprehensive plans only for animals at the ages of 1 to 14
- Plans don't cover preexisting conditions of pets
- No unlimited claims options
A pet is a furry family member, and like your human family members, you want to make sure your pet is cared for when there’s an injury or illness. Why not purchase pet insurance? You can buy the best pet insurance policy that works into your budget and covers your beloved pet using Benzinga’s tips and information.
What Is Pet Insurance?
Pet insurance is health insurance for your pet and offers coverage in case your animal needs medical attention. Reimbursement for pet insurance is also available for certain procedures such as vaccinations, spaying or neutering.
Most policies won’t cover preexisting conditions — illnesses or injuries that occurred before the insurance was purchased or went into effect. It’s best to get pet insurance for your animal when he’s young, otherwise your pet’s condition could be traced back to a time before you implemented the insurance.
Pet insurance functions similar to health insurance, and you’ll even see some of the same vocabulary words such as:
- Deductible: The amount you pay out-of-pocket before your insurance provider pays anything. Let’s say the plan you purchased has a $1,000 deductible. You’ll need to pay for procedures and medical visits until you reach that amount before your insurance kicks in its payment coverage.
- Copay: The amount that you pay after doctor visits, typically after you have met the total deductible. Sometimes there’s no deductible on your policy — in that case, you’ll just be required to pay the copay. There are also some procedures that might have a higher copay than others (a surgical procedure might have a higher copay amount than a routine visit, depending on the plan you’ve purchased).
- Premium: This is the amount of money that you pay toward your policy each month and is not directly affected by the deductible amount or copay. You’ll see a range of payment options, depending on the plan you purchase. A cheaper policy that has a lower premium would likely have a higher deductible versus a more expensive policy with a higher premium that has a lower deductible.
You’ll have to pay for pet insurance out of pocket first — which is the opposite of how you take care of medical insurance. That means when you visit the vet for any medical procedure, you’ll need to pay for it first even if it’s covered by your policy. Then you’ll file a claim with your insurer to ensure that you are repaid.
Surgical procedures and medical emergencies can cost thousands of dollars, so pet insurance helps owners save money and keep their pets as safe and healthy as possible. You’re not limited to certain vets or animal hospitals to receive coverage when needed.
In Which States Can You Get Embrace Pet Insurance?
Embrace pet insurance is one of the top policies that you can purchase to take care of your best friend. Embrace pet insurance is available in all 50 states.
What Pets Does Embrace Cover?
Embrace pet insurance only covers certain breeds of cats and dogs, but it doesn’t cover all types of exotic pets, like guinea pigs, rabbits and more.
Here are some of the breeds of cats that Embrace pet insurance covers:
- Maine coon
- Domestic short hair
Here are some of the dog breeds that Embrace pet insurance covers:
- Labrador retriever
- German shepherd
The insurance coverage is not limited to only these breeds — always check directly with the provider first to ensure that your pet and its medical needs are covered by the insurance company’s policies.
What Coverage Options Does Embrace Provide?
Embrace insurance offers what it calls nose-to-tail pet coverage, which is a comprehensive coverage plan that reimburses up to 90% of your pet’s unexpected vet bills. Embrace provides coverage for the following:
- Accidents: If your pet is injured in an accident — such as ingesting something that could hurt him, or breaking a bone — it’ll be covered. This includes the vet fees and consultation fees at any veterinary office.
- Illnesses: Embrace will make sure that your pet is covered when he falls ill without any pre-condition limitations. This means that any illness is covered without any limit and exclusions that other plans might have.
- Dental illnesses: You can get coverage for dental illnesses such as periodontal disease, gingivitis, root canals, crowns, oral masses and extractions for up to $1,000 per year In most states (excluding New York).
- Breed-specific and genetic conditions: Illnesses and conditions like hip dysplasia, allergies and intervertebral disk disease can afflict pets, depending on their breed or what their parents had a predisposition for. Embrace will make sure your pet is covered.
- Cancer: Cancer and any related testing and treatment are covered by Embrace at no additional cost.
- Chronic conditions: If your pet has conditions like allergies, arthritis and diabetes, he could be affected on a long-term basis. There are no limitations through Embrace on coverage for any of these conditions, and Embrace won’t stop covering your pet when you renew your plan.
Certain treatments are covered under Embrace:
- Alternative therapies and rehabilitation: Procedures like acupuncture, chiropractic, hydrotherapy, physiotherapy and therapeutic laser treatment.
- Behavioral therapy: On all accident and illness plans, coverage for therapy to help deal with behavioral issues like marking, digging and aggression.
- Emergency veterinary care: All emergency animal hospital trips to deal with accidents and injuries.
- Specialist care: Any type of specialty care to help deal with various diseases or accidents, such as needing to go to an oncologist.
- Diagnostic testing: Testing using fine-needle aspirates, biopsies, urinalysis, fecal exams and more.
- Hospitalization and surgery: Coverage for anesthesia, exam fees, veterinarian and technician time, rehabilitation and follow-up care.
- Prosthetics and mobility devices: Coverage to receive items like fake limbs or carts, including surgeries and follow-up visits.
- Prescription drug coverage: Medicines such as antibiotics or insulin (except in New York).
Also, note these Embrace pet insurance exclusions:
- Routine veterinary care
- Preexisting conditions
- Breeding, whelping and pregnancy
- Injury caused deliberately by you or anyone else who lives in your home
- DNA testing or cloning
- Injury or illness resulting from fighting, racing, cruelty or neglect
- Cosmetic procedures such as tail docking, ear cropping and dewclaw removal (unless it’s a medical necessity)
- Avian flu
Embrace Pet Insurance Rates
You can see more details about Embrace’s pet insurance rates depending on the type of pet you’re looking to get coverage on below:
|Maine coon||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
|Bengal||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
|Domestic short hair||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
|Sphynx||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
|Ragdoll||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
|Labrador retriever||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
|Bulldog||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
|German shepherd||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
|Poodle||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
|Terrier||Nose-to-tail pet insurance coverage, treatments||Starts at $15 per month|
Embrace Pet Insurance Claims
When you file a claim with Embrace pet insurance, you’ll need to do the following three steps, making it a relatively painless and short process.
Step 1: Complete a Claim Form.
You can submit a claim for your vet visits and treatments that you’d like coverage for at any time during the year — even 60 days into the next policy year. Staff at your veterinary office will need to fill out the forms for accidents and illnesses. You can access the form by doing the following:
- Download it through your MyEmbrace account online or through the Embrace app.
- Print a form that comes with your enrollment email.
- Call Embrace’s office to have it emailed or faxed to you.
Step 2: Attach an Itemized Invoice.
You’ll need to supply an invoice from your vet or animal hospital that shows that you paid for the treatments with your form.
Step 3: Send in the Claim.
Fax, email or upload your claim to your MyEmbrace account or through the Embrace app — they’re the fastest ways to have your claim processed. You can also mail the claim to the claims department at:
Embrace Pet Insurance, Claims Dept.
P.O. Box 22188
Beachwood, Ohio 44122-0188Embrace Pet Insurance Customer ServiceEmbrace’s contact center hours are open Monday–Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST. You can also use Embrace’s online chat service, available Monday–Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
Using Benzinga’s data points and methodology, Embrace was rated on a scale from 0-5. They received the following ratings:
Care for Your Pet with Embrace
Making the decision to get pet insurance is a great idea for anyone who plans to adopt a new furry best friend, especially if you’ll be getting your pet before age-related illnesses arise. It’ll ensure that your pet is taken care of in case of emergencies, give you peace of mind and allowing you some financial relief — medical procedures and vet visits can be quite costly.