Stock trading happens via mobile applications at a higher rate than ever. The right app can help you monitor your investment portfolios and trade on-the-go.
Check out 3 of the best stock market apps for trading and 3 more that can provide you with great market research.
Best Stock Market Apps:
- Best for Novice Investors: thinkorswim by TD Ameritrade
- Best for Crypto: Robinhood
- Best for Micro Investors: Acorns
- Best Watchlist: MarketWatch
- Best Research Tool: Benzinga (this is ours!)
Table of contents [Hide]
Overview: What are Stock Market Apps?
Stock market apps are mobile programs with an informative and operational purpose, including:
- Stock market research
- Stock trades
You’ll be able to open and close trades with a stock trading app on your smartphone. Trade or research while you walk the dog, cook or stay on top of your investments while you travel. A solid app means you won’t have to give up any functionality or speed while you’re on-the-go.
What Makes a Good Stock Market App?
A good stock trading app will make you feel like you never left your trading station. It gives you access to comprehensive market research and insights. And, of course, it’s always available on your smartphone, tablet or smartwatch.
Not sure where to start? Take a look at our criteria for a good stock market app:
- Reliable market research. Solid market research will give you access to various news feeds and analyses from reputable sources. Another feature of good market research is the stock screener to help you filter company shares based on certain financial criteria.
- Trading tools. The dynamic live charts are a useful component of your trading toolbox. You need charts to analyze past price performance and to base your analysis. Good charts need have various trading tools for analysis and indication. Alerts and signals are will notify you in case a particular event happens.
- Trading. Some mobile apps let you implement real trades. Other apps are just informative in nature. A stocking trading app represents a real trading broker. Be sure to research and compare apps. Reputable brokers are subject to regulation. A demo account via your app is a must-have to practice real market moves with virtual money.
- Ease of use. Your stock market app needs to keep things simple. It should adjust to the small screen and feature intuitive navigation. Chart analysis and tool applications must adapt to the smartphone platform.
The Best Stock Market Apps
We ranked the best stock market apps for your mobile device based on the criteria above. Check out our top picks and compare features and functionality before you commit.
1. thinkorswim by TD Ameritrade
It has a strong stock market app available for both Android and iOS.
thinkorswim gives you access to a range of tradable assets, including:
The tradable assets come with comprehensive charts. You can choose between line chart, bar chart, Japanese candlesticks and more.
You can easily modify the chart time frames to conduct your analysis. The big set of tools and indicators are there to assist your technical analysis.
- The app lets you manage your trades with TD Ameritrade in real time through its friendly interface
- One of the most valuable features of the thinkorswim app is its news stream and large education section
- You can always practice with paper money without risking any real money
- The app has a live chat support feature with a real-time screen share function
TD Ameritrade is a reputable, highly-regulated U.S. broker with years of experience. Security is excellent.
Robinhood is another stock market app available for Android and iOS. It makes trading and market research simple.
The Robinhood mobile application lets you invest in stocks, ETFs and cryptocurrency. But the real boon of the Robinhood app is it’s totally free.
You can deposit whatever amount you want and start trading right away with no commission or spreads.
The app includes research tools like news, market data and notifications. It basic analysis tools, part of Robinhood’s strategy to keep the app free.
Still, the application includes basic charts to display historical data. The Robinhood’s app is simple enough to use on a smartwatch.
Acorns is a passive investing mobile app available for Android and iOS.
Acorns does the investing for you by connecting to your bank account. It takes small portions of each purchase you make and invests in your portfolio.
Example: You go to a restaurant and you pay $46.50 for dinner. Acorn rounds up to the nearest dollar (in this case, $0.50) and puts that amount in your account.
It’s a painless investing approach. The more you pay with your card, the more Acorns adds to your investment account.
Acorn partners with many popular companies like AirBnb. If you spend money with these companies, you get a cashback bonus straight to your Acorns investment account.
Acorns uses your funds to invest automatically in ETFs. The idea of the application is to go beyond the mental barrier where you “don’t have spare money for investing.”
Acorns charges $1 to $5 per month based on your plan. The app shows your balance, as well as what you’ve spent and earned.
MarketWatch is a mobile app for real-time financial news and market data.
The app is available for Android and iOS, and it offers in-depth analytical information.
The research at MarketWatch app includes:
- Breaking news stories
- Market analysis
- Streaming market data
You can search for stocks and key company data.
The news section streams information about events that are responsible for price movements, and you can customize your news section based on your watchlist.
The navigation through the app is easy, but it’s limited if you don’t create an account.
Get the Benzinga app to stay on top of the market with real-time news, watchlists, social sharing and so much more.
You’ll have access to not only market research, but it you can also integrate your broker account and conduct trades from inside the app.
The app has a watchlist feature so you can add your favorite financial assets and keep an eye on the stocks that concern you.
Benzinga lists its assets in details:
- Company data
- Detailed price data
- Market sentiment
Choose between 12 different chart types and switch between different time frames.
There are more than 100 available indicators. Compare different charts and overlay them to compare price moves. There is a rich news feed split into categories.
1 of the categories represents your watchlist. The news only displays the stocks that you have selected. The Benzinga stock market app displays different trading opportunities.
The app has a rich set of notification features, which you can also modify from your profile.
All these features exist in a single app with only 5 tabs at the bottom. This simplifies navigation.
Compare Stock Trading Apps
Let’s compare the 6 application based on 3 criteria:
- Ease of use
Live Trading Offered
App’s Ease of Use
|Thinkorswim by TD Ameritrade||Yes||Advanced||Medium|
Find Your Stock Trading App Today
You need to keep an eye on the market even when you’re away from your desk. Our 1st 3 options prioritize trading and research. The 2nd set can provide strong market research.
You can also check out our review of the best investing apps available on the market. Many apps are free, but the wealth information and tools can help you trade at a new level.