From the streets of Hilo to the views on the East Maui loop, motorcycle enthusiasts can’t resist Hawaii’s open roads. But there’s a catch — you must have the state’s minimum level insurance coverage.
We’ve analyzed 5 companies that offer the best motorcycle insurance in Hawaii so you’re ready to explore the zigzags of Tantalus Mountain.
The Best Motorcycle Insurance in Hawaii:
- Best Overall in Hawaii: Progressive
- Most Affordable in Hawaii: Dairyland
- Best for New Riders: Harley-Davidson
- Best for Vintage and Customized Bikes: Farmers
- Best for Low-Risk Riders: Liberty Mutual
Hawaii Motorcycle Insurance: An Overview
Hawaii is a “no-fault” state, which means insurance will provide compensation for accident victims through their own insurance, regardless of fault in the accident. It’s also designed to reduce the number of personal injury lawsuits filed by car accident victims.
Motorcycle insurance regulations in the Aloha State require you to have a liability policy with the following minimum insurance requirements:
- $10,000 for property damage
- $20,000 for bodily injury or death to another individual
- $40,000 for bodily injury or death to 2 or more individuals
The average insurance rate with a good driving record is $458.
Hawaii Motorcycle Insurance Law Explained
Aloha State law requires you to buy liability insurance for your motor scooter or motorcycle. Riding without proof of insurance could subject you to a citation of $100 or more. Carry a valid ID card at all times.
Besides motorcycle liability policies, insurance companies are also required to provide optional coverages that include personal injury medical payments of up to $10,000, an income disability plan as well as higher liability coverages.
You could also consider buying uninsured motorist coverage in addition to other forms of insurance. Uninsured motorist cover could help with lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering, etc. if you’re injured in a crash and the other rider doesn’t possess bodily injury insurance. In Hawaii, uninsured motorist coverage benefits automatically stack, which means you can combine your uninsured motorist coverage with other vehicle insurance policies.
You must have a valid motor scooter or motorcycle license to buy a liability policy. Here’s what you’ll need to get a valid motorcycle license in Hawaii:
- Knowledge assessment: You must take a general knowledge test to assess your road rules knowledge. This can cover aspects like proper signaling, road signage and other laws specific to operating a motorcycle. You must also successfully pass a vision test.
- Education certification: If you’re under 18, the Hawaii Department of Transport requires that you take lessons from one of it’s certified driver’s education programs.
- Instruction permit: After you acquire an instruction permit, you’re cleared to learn to ride. You may not ride with passengers or after dark before you get a license.
- Performance test: Finally, you’ll need to pass a performance test. During this assessment, you must prove you know basic skills and knowledge.
Hawaii Motorcycle Insurance Rates per Bike
The amount you pay for motorcycle insurance in Hawaii depends on several factors, including your age, riding history and level of coverage. Where you live could also help determine your average rate.
- Motorcycle coverage in Hawaii is $458 a year on average, or $38.17 a month.
Insurance costs could be affected by the following:
- Where you live: There’s a higher chance of theft if you reside in an urban area, so your insurance rates will probably be higher.
- Type of bike: Newer, more powerful and more expensive bikes will cost more to insure compared to older, less powerful and cheaper models. You should also expect a premium increase if you add some bike performance enhancements or if you switch to a newer motorcycle or sport bike.
- Your claims history: Fewer insurance claims could get you a few discounts on your premiums. If you’ve made a claim previously, insurers view you as someone with a higher chance of making a claim in the future.
- Who rides your bike: If you’re a seasoned rider with a clean claims history and ride your bike alone, the cost of coverage should remain low. However, if you want the policy to cover a 20-year-old biker with several claims and a speeding conviction, your insurance rates will increase.
- How much you ride: Weekend warriors could save money on mileage-based or usage-based insurance by only paying for the miles you ride.
Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
Depending on the insurance provider you choose, quotes could be different for annual policies. Of course, your ZIP code, type of bike, driving record and other factors will impact how much you pay for coverage. Here are 1-year coverage quotes from 5 insurance providers.
Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
Most insurance providers offer motorcycle insurance discounts, a few carriers stand out for helping you save a lot on policies. Here are some discounts offered 5 by carriers we reviewed.
|Transfer, multiple bike, homeowner, claims-free, rider experience, anti-lock, anti-theft, safety course
|Multiple bike, transfer, riding group, homeowner, military, claims-free, anti-lock brake, rider experience, anti-theft, approved safety course, motorcycle driver’s license
|Transfer, multiple bike, homeowner, claims-free, anti-lock brake, safety course, motorcycle driver’s license
|Multiple bike, rider experience, riding group, homeowner, anti-theft, anti-lock brake, approved safety course
Best Motorcycle Insurance Providers in Hawaii
Benzinga analyzed several motorcycle insurance companies. Here are our 5 best providers for motorcycle insurance in Hawaii.
1. Best Overall in Hawaii: Progressive
This 80+-year-old carrier stacks up to unbiased scrutiny because it provides a rare combination of stability, strength and flexibility. Progressive’s 1-year policy is higher than the state average but it casts its coverage wide because it covers personal belongings, special parts and customizations.
The company’s discounts help you shave more savings off your premium. It also runs a small accident forgiveness program that doesn’t raise your coverage rates for bumps that cost less than $500. Its 1-year quote in Hawaii is $970.
2. Most Affordable in Hawaii: Dairyland
Dairyland’s 1-year policy is $194.80 — it’s the most affordable insurance provider in Hawaii. It also offers other available discounts that offer savings of up to 10% — property damage, bodily injury, personal injury, comprehensive, uninsured and underinsured motorist, total loss replacement and collisions.
There’s also coverage for almost any motorcycle type, including scooters, standard motorcycles, sportbikes, cruisers, dirt bikes, touring bikes and enduro bikes. Dairyland is a good pick if you’re looking for basic coverage and low rates.
3. Best for New Riders: Harley-Davidson
Harley-Davidson doesn’t just manufacture iconic bikes — it also insures bikes through its finance arm. Its 1-year policies are pricey ($1,062.49 on average) but it offers solid, dependable coverage for new riders.
Harley-Davidson also offers bike loans, extended service plans, planned maintenance and theft protection. Third-party underwriting is seamless and its customer service staff is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.
4. Best for Vintage and Customized Bikes: Farmers
Vintage and highly customized bikes are among the most expensive to insure but Farmers Insurance offers cost-effective policies if your bike fits squarely in one of these categories. You’ll also receive a discount for loyalty, riding groups and anti-lock brakes.
The company offers a custom package designed for limited-edition motorcycles and a vintage package for motorbikes that are more than 25 model years. A 1-year policy costs $587.
5. Best for Low-Risk Riders: Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual is just as comfortable insuring bikes as it is insuring cars and its discounts reward cautious riders. Completing a motorcycle safety course means you’re entitled to discounts.
Adding some safety attributes like anti-lock brakes and anti-theft devices can reduce the overall cost. You may get into an accident after 5 accident-free years so the company accident forgiveness program shields you from price hikes. The company also offers a great add-on: 24-hour roadside assistance.
Get Covered and Ride in Hawaii
You can traverse the Aloha State and worry less about how you might handle the unexpected. Before you purchase a policy, compare Benzinga’s top picks, understand their nuances and how you can save money on premiums.
Money-saving Motorcycle Insurance
Harley-Davidson Insurance Services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. The company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. You’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.