Top-of-the-line trading software often requires a more powerful computer to use its entire suite of tools. Let’s take a look at some options you have when comparing trader-efficient computer models. Here is Benzinga's list of the best trading computers.
Quick Look at the Best Trading Computers and Laptops:
Best Trading Desktop Computers
Here’s our list of the top computer and laptop options for traders. We compared price, available RAM, processor speeds and more when deciding which options to place on this list. We’ve collected a list of the best desktop trading computers for traders with an at-home trading center.
1. EZ Trading Computers' The Raging Bull EZ Trading Computer
Who it’s for: Traders looking for plenty of bang for the buck as well other perks besides an excellent trading computer.
One of the best reasons to get an EZ Trading Computer? Its technical support! It’s free for the lifetime of your system. You’ll get a 5-year desktop limited warranty on desktop system components from your original invoice date (system components are defined as all major components inside the case). EZ Trading Computers replace or repair any system component for a period of 5 years from the invoice date. Customers who buy systems from EZ Trading Computers are also entitled for free technical support and free labor as long as they own the system.
Here are a few things that make it a great buy:
- Processor: AMD Ryzen-9 5900X 12-CORE Processor @ 4.8 Ghz with Turbo Boost
- FREE Shipping
- No credit check: Financing is available!
- RAM: 32 GB – Upgradeable to 128GB
- Hard drive: 500 GB M.2 NVME Solid State Drive – upgradeable to 2TB
- Video: 4, 6 or 8 Monitor Support
Looking for a laptop instead?
Opt for the Navigator 17.3-inch Customized EZ Laptop
Here are a few quick facts:
- Processor: New Intel Core i7-12700H – 14 CORE Processor @ 4.7 Ghz in Turbo Boost Mode
- RAM: 32 GB – upgradable to 128 GB
- Hard drive: 500 GB M.2 NVME solid state drive – upgradeable to 2TB
2. Orbital Silenced X2000 Trading Computer
Who it’s for: Serious traders who want to pick and choose computer options
Price: From $2,128
Orbital Computers manufactures high-performance custom computers with an understanding of trader demand. Orbital specializes in creating computers for a variety of functions, including:
- Professional workstations for CAD/CAM
- Media and entertainment
- Financial analysis and trading
- Scientific research
The Orbital Silenced X2000 trading computer offers a variety of options — you can choose the features that matter most to you. For example, the Orbital Silenced X2000 trading computer offers options for CPU, motherboard, case, power supply, CPU cooler, RAM, sound card and video card.
For example, here are your RAM options, lifetime warranty included and aluminum heat-spreader included:
- 16GB DDR4 RAM: 2666 MHz – (2x8GB DIMM)
- 24GB DDR4 RAM: 2666 MHz – (3x8GB DIMM)
- 32GB DDR4 RAM: 2666 MHz – (2x16GB DIMM)
- 64GB DDR4 RAM: 2666 MHz – (4x16GB DIMM)
- 128GB DDR4 RAM: 2666 MHz – (4x32GB DIMM)
In fact, you can configure your Silenced X2000 and build it however you’d like to have it created.
3. Falcon F-52GT Desktop
Who its for: Avid back-testers
If you’re looking for speed, look no farther than Falcon’s F-52GT Desktop. It’s Falcon’s most popular trading desktop due to its speed. A trading computer must be able to process a lot of data in a short period of time, and the Falcon F-52GT desktop can do it. Here’s some of the top technology options it offers:
- Maximum of 18 Cores, 32 Threads
- Supports up to 12 Monitors
- Maximum of 2TB SSD
- 3TB extra storage with backup software
- 3-year warranty
- Overnight delivery for warranty parts
- On-site service and LIFETIME phone support
4. Orbital Trader X1000
Who it's for: Active traders looking to maximize trading speed while keeping costs down.
Price: From $1,149
The Orbital Computers Trader X1000 is the ideal trading PC for new and seasoned traders alike. This PC is built by one of the leading trading computer manufacturers, Orbital Computers, who specialize in purpose-built day trading PCs. The Orbital Trader X1000 offers the perfect blend of high speed, unbeatable reliability, and industry leading value. Configure it with the latest 10th gen Intel Core i7 10700 CPU with a turbo frequency of 4.8GHz to maximize performance in most trading workloads. It comes with support for 4x 4K monitors by default with options of up to 12-monitor support. Orbital Computers are built and supported in the US. Their trading PC experts are available by phone to discuss your unique needs.
5. Dell Optiplex 790
Who it's for: Day traders looking for a complete trading setup on a budget.
The Dell Optiplex 790 is a comprehensive trading computer that includes everything you need to begin day trading on a faster machine. The Dell Optiplex 790 includes 16 GB of memory, a fast Intel Core i5 processor and an updated hard disc with 1 TB of memory. This bundle also includes dual 19-inch monitors ideal for professional traders.
Though this bundle may include refurbished pieces, each item is professionally inspected by Amazon tech experts and includes a guarantee of functionality. The Dell Optiplex 790 bundle is the ideal choice for traders who are starting from scratch but also working on a tight budget.
6. Dell Inspiron Gaming PC
Who it's for: Investors searching for a multi-use desktop computer that’s as equally useful for work as it is for play.
Price: From $880
Don’t be put off by the name — the Dell Inspiron isn’t only useful for gamers. This desktop’s lightning-fast specs also mean higher-level trading and faster processing. The Dell Inspiron includes a USB 3.1 Type-C connector that allows you to transfer files and connect power devices faster than ever before. This model also includes an intelligent thermal design, which means that it runs with less noise than other models with a similar power level — perfect for maintaining an atmosphere of complete focus while investing and trading.
What to Look for in a Trading Computer
Your computer’s specifications will determine the speed at which you’ll be able to execute trades and which types of software you can run. Let’s take a look at a few of the most important features you’ll need to consider before you buy.
- RAM: Random access memory (RAM) allows your computer to store data. When purchasing a trading computer, look for options with a minimum of 8GB.
- Processor Speed: Faster processors allow your computer to execute operations more quickly but come at a higher price. You’ll want to search for an option with a processor that contains at least 4 to 6 cores (like the i5 Intel Processor).
- Hard Drive: Look for a trading computer with a solid-state drive (SSD) as your primary hard drive. These hard drives are more reliable for retrieving information quickly.
- Display: You may want to consider a computer with dual-screen monitor capabilities if you’re a professional trader or you need to monitor multiple software options at once.
- Battery Life: Be mindful of battery life. The best trading computers have a battery life of at least 8 hours.
To Learn More About Trading Computers:
Get Eddie Z’s Complete Guide to Trading Computers. This guide is jam-packed with great tips from a 33-year trading veteran and computer geek Eddie Z. In this guide, you’ll learn:
- What is so special about a trading computer and why you need one
- What are the optimal specs you need to be a power trader and to avoid something called “slippage”
- The most important backup systems traders need
- And a whole lot more...
Build Your Trading Platform
No matter which device you choose, remember that you’ll also need a brokerage account that fits your trading style. If you aren’t sure where to get started, check out Benzinga’s list of the best online stock brokers and our guide to opening your first brokerage account.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements for an excellent day trading computer?
It should have an Intel i5 dual processor, a 128GB hard drive and a 2.8GB graphics card.
How many computer screens do I need for trading?
You need between 2 and 4 screens.
What are the best trading computers?
You’ll find Benzinga’s recommendations for the best trading computers on the list above.