Want to jump straight to the answer? Most people prefer to insure their bike or motorcycle with Harley-Davidson Insurance Services.
Who is Rider Insurance Best for?
Rider Insurance is the largest provider of motorcycle insurance in New Jersey, where the company was founded by a motorcycle enthusiast in 1971. The company has expanded into 7 other states — Delaware, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Virginia.
Rider focuses only on motorcycles, ATVs and off-road vehicle insurance, and its mission is to serve the needs of the motorcycle community and give members a good customer service experience, respect and value. You’ll find good rates from a company with a solid reputation, financial strength and strong reviews. You’ll want to consider Rider Insurance if you live in one of those states.
Rider Insurance offers a range of policies for a wider range of bikes than the average auto insurance carrier, including:
- Cross country
- Standard motorcycles
- Sport and high-performance bikes
- Reconstructed bikes
Rider offers the basic coverage you need out on the open road. This coverage is standard on all motorcycle insurance policies:
- Bodily injury liability covers medical expenses for the other driver involved when you cause an accident.
- Property damage liability pays for a vehicle or other property damages related to your accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist covers your personal injuries when the other driver at fault doesn’t have enough insurance to cover the bill.
- Roadside assistance takes care of minor roadside repair needs, including towing, battery jumpstart, flat tires or emergency fluid delivery. You’ll have to pay for the oil and other fluids that are delivered to you.
- Medical payments may also be included in the coverage on your standard policy. However, you should know that this coverage applies to pedestrians injured by your motorcycle, not to you, the motorcycle driver or your passengers.
Rider might be in the running for the winner in the “Most Discounts” competition. Here are some of the discounts Rider Insurance offers and how you can get them:
- Preferred operator discount: You can get this discount when you’re at least 26 years old, have a clean driving record and have a non-sport or non-high performance motorcycle that’s 576ccs and over. It includes physical damage coverage.
- Sportbike safe driver discount: You can get this coverage if you’re at least 35 years old, have a clean driving record and are insuring a sports/high-performance motorcycle that is 551ccs and over. Includes physical damage coverage.
- Transfer discount: You can get this discount by transferring your coverage from another insurance company. It can’t have any more than 180-day coverage lapse and you have to give up your previous insurance company policy number.
- Multiple bike discount: You’ll get a discount depending on the number of motorcycles or other vehicles you insure and the number of drivers listed on the policy.
- Loyalty discount: This discount is offered if you don’t have any lapse in your policy or get more than 2 policy cancellation notices. You can qualify for a loyalty discount.
- Homeowner discount: Do you own a home? If so, you’ll get a discount for it.
- Advanced quote discount: This discount applies to all new policies secured at least 5 days before the policy’s effective date.
- Military discount: Whether you’re active duty or former military personnel, you qualify for this discount.
- Riding group discount: Are you currently affiliated with HOG, GWRRA, American Legion Riders, LAMA, Red Knights, ABATE, USAA, Rider employee or AMA? If so, you can get a discount. You’ll have to share your membership number.
- Claims-free discount: You earn a discount when you renew a policy with no losses in the previous 3 years with Rider.
- Rider experience discount: You can get a discount if you have at least 3 years of riding experience on the road.
- Smart rider discount: Avoid tickets or accidents within the last 3 years and you’ll qualify for this discount.
- Anti-lock brake discount: You’ll get a discount if your vehicles have anti-lock brakes.
- Anti-theft discount: You’ll get a discount that applies to comprehensive coverage if you have a permanently installed anti-theft device.
- Safety course discount. You can get a discount for each covered vehicle you own after you complete a safety course. The discount is good for 3 years after the completion date.
- Safety instructor course discount: You’ll get a discount for each of your vehicles if you complete a safety instructor course. This discount is good for 2 years after course completion, but you can’t get it if you receive a discount for completing the safety course.
- Motorcycle driver’s license discount: You get a discount if you have a valid motorcycle license. The discount varies, depending on the type of motorcycle you have.
Rider also offers several benefits and add-ons you can select to broaden your coverage in the event of an accident.
- Comprehensive covers $45,000 in damage caused by anything but a collision, including glass breakage, damage caused by a bird or animal, explosion, earthquake, fire, hail, water, flood, wind or lightning. It also covers vandalism, missile or falling object, riot or civil common, smoke or theft. Coverage is subject to policy and policy exclusions. Your motorcycle must be listed in the N.A.D.A. Book to qualify for coverage.
- Collision pays for losses caused by impact with another vehicle or object. Coverage is limited to $45,000.
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist allows you to receive payment for damages to your vehicle or injuries caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist who is at fault for an accident. You can opt out of these coverages and your premiums will be lower if you reject these coverages.
- Bodily injury and property damage liability covers you if another person, including your passenger, makes a claim that he was injured or his property was damaged from an accident that was your fault. You don’t have any obligation to the injured person unless the damages are more than your policy limits.
- Personal injury protection covers you if you hit someone with your bike, whether that person is operating a motorcycle or is a passenger or pedestrian. The coverage pays the cost of hospital treatment, doctors and other medical providers up to $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident, subject to a deductible. You can lower your premium by restricting your coverage to accidents that happen on the road and when colliding with another vehicle.
- Accessories coverage is included on all policies — specifically, $8,000 in accessory coverage. You’ll also get physical damage coverage at no extra cost. Coverages include customized parts, equipment and paint, and is in excess of the $45,000 limit on comprehensive or collision coverage. You have the option to purchase an additional $11,000- and $14,000-limit accessory coverage option.
- Helmet, safety apparel and trip interruption are provided on all vehicles with physical damage coverage. It covers your helmet and other safety gear that results from a covered collision loss. It also includes trip interruption coverage for meals and lodging when you’ve had trouble on the road.
You can contact Rider customer service by phone from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday–Friday:
- Call 973-258-9500 or 800-595-6393
- Fax 973-258-9732
- Email Rider customer service at Motorcycleinsurance@rider.com
You also can find an agent near you by clicking the “Find a Rider authorized agent” on the company’s website quote tab. Just select your state, enter your ZIP code to get a list of local agents and their locations.
File accident claims online with Rider around the clock online at rider.com, or call 866-211-0055. You can also email email@example.com or fax claims documents to 973-258-9760.
Pricing starts as low as $250 per year. Some states, like Michigan, have extremely expensive rates and it’s the lowest-priced motorcycle insurance you can find.
You can take a peek at the company’s Facebook page for a quick review and to understand the value you’ll get. Rider garnered a 3.9 of a 5-star rating. As of this writing, 236 people gave it 5 stars and 65 gave the company 3-star reviews.
Remember to Shop Around
Rider Insurance is known for its low prices compared to other motorcycle insurance companies — and the policy prices vary depending on the type of bike you ride and its weight.
It only exists in 8 states and can’t offer many multi-policy discounts because it only serves motorcycles, ATVs and off-road vehicles — compare prices in those states. Even in the 8 states it serves, discounts vary from state to state.
Our best advice is to shop around, especially if you’re looking for cheap motorcycle insurance.
Rider Insurance vs Competitors
Frequently Asked Questions
You can reach Rider at 833-70-RIDER.
You can file a claim with Rider 24-hours a day online or by phone. You’ll receive a response within 48 hours of filing.
Money-saving Motorcycle Insurance
Harley-Davidson Insurance Services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. The company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. You’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.