If you rent your home, you might be under the impression that your landlord’s insurance will cover you if there’s a fire or another disaster. While your landlord likely has insurance covering the physical structure of the home or apartment, that coverage doesn’t extend to your belongings or protect you when you’re away from home.
In other words, if there’s a disaster that destroys your home or if your laptop is stolen, the landlord’s insurance won’t cover it. For that and other situations, you need renters insurance.
Renters insurance covers your possessions (up to the policy limits) and offers liability coverage if you or a family member injures someone or destroys someone else’s property. Toggle®, a member of the Farmers® Insurance family, makes buying renters insurance easy.
You can tailor your coverage to what you need and opt-out of any coverage that you don’t.* Toggle also offers coverage you don’t typically find with renters insurance, including coverage for side hustles and its associated equipment or inventory. It also offers access to Credit LiftSM, a service that reports your rent and utility payments to credit bureaus so you can improve your credit score.
Toggle’s customer service representatives are readily available via chat, with extensive customer service hours (9 a.m. to 12 a.m. EST Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST on Saturdays). It also offers an online claims process, so it’s easy to file and track what’s happening with your claims.
Toggle is currently available in the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.
- People with side hustles
- Pet owners
- Easy to tailor coverage
- Reasonable rates
- Loyalty rewards
- Coverage for significant other
- Only offers renters insurance at present
- Not available in all states
Toggle Insurance Ratings at a Glance
Toggle, while best known for its renter's insurance coverage, also offers auto insurance in select states. Here, we'll focus on it's renter's insurance offerings. Let’s take a closer look at how renters insurance works in general and what Toggle has to offer.
How Does Renters Insurance Work?
Renters insurance typically offers 3 primary types of protection.
First, renter's insurance protects your belongings with personal property protection. If they’re destroyed or damaged in a fire or storm or stolen, your policy will help repair or replace them. Renters insurance may not cover damage from floods and earthquakes. Toggle’s policies cover “all perils,” which means they will cover damage from floods and earthquakes except in California, where residents are required to buy a separate earthquake policy.
You’ll typically want to match your coverage to the value of your belongings. Consider your electronics, anything of value like jewelry or art and items of sentimental value. It typically covers your belongings even if they’re not in your home at the time. For example, if items in storage are damaged in a windstorm, that would also be covered by your policy. Ideally, you should purchase enough coverage to replace all of your belongings if needed.
Another important type of coverage renters insurance offers is liability protection. If you or someone in your household (including pets) damages someone’s property or causes an injury, your renters insurance will help with medical payments and with a legal defense. It will also cover court awards up to your policy limits. Given how expensive lawsuits can be, consider opting for as much liability insurance as you can afford.
Keep in mind that renters insurance doesn’t cover damage you or members of your household cause to your property. If your dog decides your rug needs to be destroyed, it won’t be covered under your renters insurance policy. Toggle does offer an optional Pet Parent coverage, which covers damage that your pet caused to the structure of your rental unit, within policy limits.
The last type of coverage that typically comes with renter's insurance is additional living expenses. If you can’t live in your home due to a disaster, this covers the additional costs you incur while temporarily living elsewhere, like hotel costs and meals.
What Types of Coverage Does Toggle Renter's Insurance Offer?
Toggle Renters Insurance makes it easy to choose options that make sense for your coverage. You can adjust or change your:
- Deductible: You can opt for a deductible ranging from $100 to $1,000.
- Liability limits: You can choose $100,000 to $300,000 of coverage.
- Collectible coverage: This includes artwork, comics and other items of value. You can opt for $0 to $10,000 of coverage.
- Fashion and jewelry coverage: You can cover up to $10,000 in purses, jewelry, shoes and other valuable items. While this is helpful, this may not be enough coverage if you have highly valuable items.
- Creative and maker coverage: Include cameras, instruments, tools, art supplies and other equipment for up to $10,000 of coverage.
- Active coverage: Cover bikes, treadmills and other outdoor and sporting equipment with up to $10,000.
- Technology: Cover all your technology items for up to $10,000. You can also opt for additional coverage for single items valued at more than $3,000.
- Furniture and appliances: Secure your household beds, couches, chairs and appliances you own with up to $20,000 in coverage.
Toggle also has additional coverage you can opt into like:
- Pet Parent: This covers up to $100,000 for injuries caused by your pet to another person, up to $500 in boarding costs if you need to relocate due to a disaster and up to $500 in damages to your rental home caused by your pet.
- Replacement costs: You can choose whether to have your items covered at the cost to replace them with new items or their depreciated value. The replacement cost will pay out more. For example, if you have a 2-year-old TV and it’s destroyed, the replacement cost will cover a new TV. The depreciated value will pay you what you could sell your TV for right now, after owning it for 2 years.
- Temporary living costs: This is additional living expense coverage, and you can opt-out or buy up to $150 per day in coverage.
- Side hustle: If you have a side hustle, this will protect the items you use to run your business.
- Identity protection: If someone steals your identity, this will provide you with support to recover.
- Significant Other: This offers coverage for a significant other, inclusive of all couples, not just legally married ones, at no additional cost.
Before you purchase a policy with Toggle, you can chat with customer service on its website. It offers extensive hours: 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. EST Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST on Saturdays. You can also submit a support request on the website. Toggle may offer more options after you’re a policyholder, but that information isn’t publicly available.
Once you’re a policyholder, you can file a claim with Toggle through your online account. That makes it simple to upload pictures and other documents to support your claim. You can get paid for your claims electronically or via check.
While Toggle doesn’t say how long claims typically take, it offers clear guidance about filing a claim and additional information you might need to provide, like a police report for a claim due to theft.
Toggle Renters Insurance makes it easy to purchase a policy that works with your budget. It starts by giving you 3 options: basic, standard and premium.
Basic is the least expensive and offers liability coverage and some coverage for your personal items. Standard has more coverage for your personal items, and Premium has the highest level of coverage.
With each level of coverage, you can choose whether to add on or change your coverage. Let’s say you’re not worried about replacing most of your belongings, but you have a pricey computer setup. You might purchase a basic policy but opt for a high level of technology coverage. Adding on coverage raises your premium, of course, but it’s tailored to what you need.
Toggle doesn’t have a mobile app. The site is optimized for mobile, so you can view the site on your phone’s mobile browser and complete many of the actions you would with an app. For example, you can log into your Toggle account and view account information using your mobile browser.
While Toggle is limited when it comes to the types of insurance it offers, it has several options you can use to tailor your insurance. It also offers Credit Lift, which you can use to report your rental payments to credit reporting agencies and improve your score.
You can get extra protection for your pet or your side hustle — purchase the coverage you need at an affordable price. Remember, you can reach out to Toggle the moment you apply for a rental so you know about how much it will cost. You can get proof of insurance to provide with your signed lease, and you can reach out to toggle at any time if you have questions about your policy or need to cancel/modify when you move.
Although Toggle is not available in all states and it doesn’t have a mobile app, it’s worth considering if you’re in a state where it’s available.
*Liability coverage is required on all Toggle renters insurance policies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Toggle Insurance phone number?
Does Toggle Insurance cover water damage?
Toggle’s all perils policy means water damage caused by flood and earthquakes is covered under their policy everywhere by California. Here, you’re required to buy a separate earthquake policy.
What is covered by renter's insurance?
Usually, renter’s insurance policies include 3 types of coverage. Personal property coverage, liability coverage and additional living expenses coverage are typically included with a renters policy.
What is renter's insurance?
Renter’s insurance is a type of property or home insurance providing financial protection specific to a property you are renting. This type of coverage protects your personal belongings within your rented dwelling and will pay for repairs and replacements. It also offers liability protection and living expenses coverage in the event your rented property becomes uninhabitable due to a covered event or occurrence.
Submit Your One Minute Opinion
Get Protection Now
Lemonade offers fast, easy coverage through their seamless application and claims process. Get personal property and liability protection with Lemonade Renters Insurance.